Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Today’s 5 minute upgrade

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
Bought a usb socket to fit into one of the dash blanks in our t5 Cali, but swapped it into the cigarette socket by the sink instead.

5 minute job and no cutting or wiring involved.

Now ordering another usb to fit to the dash.

A9B91919-4F43-4366-A6AD-3E957ADD3967.jpeg

How do you remove the old one...?
Got any part numbers...?

To remove the unit;
1. Carefully prise off the silver 1 piece outer surround. Use a plastic knife or a screwdriver, be careful not to damage either the trim piece or the finish on the outside of the cabinet
2 there are 4 mini torx head screws that secure each socket separately to the cabinet. Some of mine were lose, but remove the 4 for the cigarette socket and the socket should pop out of the cabinet.
3. Disconnect the 2 wires off the back of the cigarette socket.
4. You need to remove the cigarette socket from the square black plastic mounting plate - it isn't designed to come out, so I used a sharp chisel to remove the securing tangs from the green plastic piece, on the back of the mounting plate. Once cut off the cigarette socket pushes out of the front of the mounting plate.
5. my new usb socket was fractionally too big to fit in the original mounting hole in the mounting plate, a light sand of the aperture was enough for the usb to fit into the mounting plate.
6. Secure with the lock ring that comes with the usb
7. Reconnect the wires
8. Refit into cabinet.

I bought the usb off eBay item number 401740883777

I’ve been looking at doing similar but decided against it as I think the USB sockets will be drawing current even when not in use. I’d be interested to know if your control panel is showing anything.

I’ve been looking at doing similar but decided against it as I think the USB sockets will be drawing current even when not in use. I’d be interested to know if your control panel is showing anything.
Control panel is showing -0.6A, higher than I would have thought for one tiny blue led.

I fitted a solar panel kit a few weeks back so haven't got any concerns about battery drain

Control panel is showing -0.6A, higher than I would have thought for one tiny blue led.

I fitted a solar panel kit a few weeks back so haven't got any concerns about battery drain
The USB socket is running more than just the Blue LED.
That is why I plugged in one of these.
14AF3D68-3DCE-4BB1-90C2-22BC7B38452F.jpeg

If that blue led is staying on the whole time even without something plugged in chances are it will drain the batteries when your Cali sits unused long time...

If that blue led is staying on the whole time even without something plugged in chances are it will drain the batteries when your Cali sits unused long time...
Agree, the led will draw some current and the circuit that drops the 12v to the 5v supply is probably drawing more and as you say likely to put a drain on the battery.

USB is 5v and the voltage regulator inside any usb adaptor that doesn’t have an off switch will be consuming power all the time, even with no usb device plugged in and regardless of whether it has an LED.

I leave USB sockets in the dash lighter socket permanently. With 2 x 100 Watt panels on the roof and the Cali parked on our driveway which is to the south of our house, I have no concerns even during dull winter days.

I leave USB sockets in the dash lighter socket permanently. With 2 x 100 Watt panels on the roof and the Cali parked on our driveway which is to the south of our house, I have no concerns even during dull winter days.

That’s an expensive alternative to taking out the USB

Mike

Why waste 5 minutes if you can have the same result in 1 second?

These flush-fit usb chargers cost less then 10 quid, stick out only a few millimeters, and don't have a "battery draining" led light. Mine is an Aukey but there are also others brands on Amazon.
Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 09.43.21.png

Why waste 5 minutes if you can have the same result in 1 second?

View attachment 44502

These flush-fit usb chargers cost less then 10 quid, stick out only a few millimeters, and don't have a "battery draining" led light. Mine is an Aukey but there are also others brands on Amazon.
View attachment 44503
Not just the led that draws current. All unswitched USB chargers draw current all the time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not just the led that draws current. All unswitched USB chargers draw current all the time.
Probably, but I don't see that as a problem when the charger runs off the leasure battery. Anyway, not having a led must help a bit. The main reason for my post is to illustrate that you don't need to dismantle the socket unit to install a usb charger in your Cali.

Probably, but I don't see that as a problem when the charger runs off the leasure battery. Anyway, not having a led must help a bit. The main reason for my post is to illustrate that you don't need to dismantle the socket unit to install a usb charger in your Cali.

Good point.
I think your solution is the better, as it canbe easily removed and the original 12v socket accessed.
Winner...

I used something similar a few years ago and eventually discovered that it was the cause of the DAB on the RNS510 not working properley. Dealer actually changed the whole headunit under warranty to no effect and then I found the usb device was the problem.

I've found the same with those plug in usb devices, they knock my DAB off the air at times, since I did Amateur radio I realised they are often badly designed in china and emit radio waves.

Sadly they often build them to be compliant up until testing, then remove the parts that stop the interference after certification to save money but of course they are then non-compliant.

Sadly I'm yet to find one that doesn't cause some kind of interference as everything is made in China now.

I've found the same with those plug in usb devices, they knock my DAB off the air at times, since I did Amateur radio I realised they are often badly designed in china and emit radio waves.

Sadly they often build them to be compliant up until testing, then remove the parts that stop the interference after certification to save money but of course they are then non-compliant.

Sadly I'm yet to find one that doesn't cause some kind of interference as everything is made in China now.
5G should be fun then!

I can't imagine commercial companies would get away with it, but you never know these days, Ofcom don't seem to step in like they used to :(

I can't imagine commercial companies would get away with it, but you never know these days, Ofcom don't seem to step in like they used to :(
When I worked for BT Ofcom definitely kept an eye on us, but that was a long time ago!