Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets and social distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sense if the weather stays like this there will be a lot of smelly and sweaty Cali owners on campsites in the coming months ( if we are allowed which I suspect we won't )

My thoughts are if you need the toilet then it's quite simple really and no different to visiting shops but should in theory be easier. Wipe handles down as you enter building and same with cubicles and any other surfaces you could touch - can't think of many. Once finished you simply do the same again as you leave disposing of wipes correctly. You could wear gloves instead but there really is a specific way to remove these properly without cross contamination. Our Lidl here in Wymondham have a cleaning point as you walk in the door allowing you to sanitise the basket and trolley handles before you use them - very simple spray and wipe system which everyone was using............................. using a shower is going to be less easy as coat hooks could be contaminated but if there's a basket or a stool/chair in there like most have then wipe that before placing clothes and towel on. Yes a little bit of a faff but once should be easy enough to do...........................

Slightly more complex if you have children!!!!!!! We smile when parents won't let their child go to school for fear of catching the virus and bringing it home etc but they'll happily take them to the shops or beach where greater chance of catching it - oh and by the way they should be at home self-schooling anyway - sorry my own little rant!!!

It would not be so bad if all the big whites and caravans used their own facilities instead of using the shower and toilet block. We have friends with a caravan who laugh at our Cali because we don't have a bathroom on board yet his whole family use the site facilities for showering, cleaning teeth etc.. their bathroom is actually used as a wardrobe!!!

People saying a campsite toilet block is the same as a normal public toilet are wrong , it would be impossible to social distance in a busy campsite toilet at 9am in the morning especially is school holidays when you have loads of young kids unsupervised. The only option is to limit how many go in at a time, one in and one out which would not be idea of fun, especially if I was dying for a poo.

People saying a campsite toilet block is the same as a normal public toilet are wrong , it would be impossible to social distance in a busy campsite toilet at 9am in the morning especially is school holidays when you have loads of young kids unsupervised. The only option is to limit how many go in at a time, one in and one out which would not be idea of fun, especially if I was dying for a poo.
We totally avoid any chance of clashing with school hols!!!! Also get up pretty early to get out and about - need to be early to get up into the mountains...........................

We totally avoid any chance of clashing with school hols!!!! Also get up pretty early to get out and about - need to be early to get up into the mountains...........................

I agree, in fact I do the same but we are in the minority. I don't think campsites will be able to dictate when people use the toilets and showers to stop the mad rush hour.

Uh! What happened to personal choice, personal responsibility. If you don’t like the facilities or the inevitable additional constraints or inconvenience don’t use them.

Uh! What happened to personal choice, personal responsibility. If you don’t like the facilities or the inevitable additional constraints or inconvenience don’t use them.

In case you have not noticed we have not had personal choice for over two months now and we will not have the say on if toilet blocks open or not. Anyway I'm not getting involved in an argument .

In case you have not noticed we have not had personal choice for over two months now and we will not have the say on if toilet blocks open or not. Anyway I'm not getting involved in an argument .
Glad to hear it so I won’t give you one

I think a lot will depend on how the site owners will interpret the recommendations - the large commercial sites with lots of activities available will be the worst affected I reckon. Generally the sites we've been to in the past (i'm talking about the UK) have been small and very rarely do you meet anyone in or near the toilet/shower block. Ones like Faichemard Farm in Invergarry will be fine as individual toilets/showers but places like Big Sands at Gairloch could be difficult. Having said that as mentioned we use small sites and totally avoid the summer and any school/bank holidays; I can recall last Sept on Kintyre being the only camper on one site near the beach!

Listening to the news last night it is still very confusing and one wonders what will happen next month when some more (un-essential) shops open.........................I can see people likes bees to honeypot rather than the beach now!!!!

I'm hoping toilet blocks will be open for those who want to use them, on site or off. The Peak District reports today that many of it's beauty spots are littered with carrier bags full of human faeces. Also lots not even bagged!

This thread was about provision of toilets on campsites, not the provision of public toilets generally which it was drifting towards. As this topic is now being discussed elsewhere relative to future opening of campsites it has no further mileage left in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back