Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Too good to be true?

T

Tom Maddox

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello all, I wonder if I could get an opinion on a deal that looks too good to be true. 2008 T5 California, 175k, electric pop top, £16000. VW California Club sticker on the back. Good condition but seller is not the registered keeper (he is a small time trader), nor does he know anything about how the van works. Tried it, seems very good for the miles, but alarm bells ringing all over for me. Any advice? Many thanks!

It’s defiantly cheap, but also super high mileage.

If he is a registered trader then his name will not be on the V5.

I wouldn’t expect a trader to know how to use the van, most VW dealers don’t.

If it doesn’t feel right then usually it’s not. So use your instincts, do all the checks you can and decide.

Would the seller object to you getting an independent inspection from an authorised Cali dealer at your expense? Probably a couple of hundred quid but may put your mind at rest. If the seller objects, that tells you what you need to know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello all, I wonder if I could get an opinion on a deal that looks too good to be true. 2008 T5 California, 175k, electric pop top, £16000. VW California Club sticker on the back. Good condition but seller is not the registered keeper (he is a small time trader), nor does he know anything about how the van works. Tried it, seems very good for the miles, but alarm bells ringing all over for me. Any advice? Many thanks!
You can check the vehicles MOT and any advisories etc: if you know the vehicle registration number.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Has it got a Service history? With the Registration number your local VW dealer might be able to help.

Can you contact the person who's name is on the V5?

If it’s got a VWCC sticker on the side someone on here might recognise it, can you post a photo with Reg number?

What a great forum! Really useful replies, thanks everyone. The photo and reg is below. Yes, I have done all the free checks - MOT history looks fine, and it has a service history. I would also do HPI if I proceeded. I will look into a formal VW check. The currently registered keeper is in Diss, Norfolk, if I remember correctly when I saw the VC5. The trader (small time, unofficial, no shop, mainly trades in parts on eBay) said he part exchanged it for a 4x4 about 3 months ago. He says he planned to use it himself then changed his mind. (Although his kid, who joined us, had clearly never seen it before!). I have asked about speaking to the registered owner and he hasn't said no, but just said it was a simple process to complete the transfer. What baffles me is what it has been used for. 20k miles/yr for 10 yrs yet the interior looks almost unused. I saw another T5 today, same age, half the miles yet it looked thoroughly lived in. Why buy a California and just use it for commuting?!

$_86.JPG

It's not a Cali! No windows in rear, sliding door on wrong side...... Need I go on?

It's a high mileage panel delivery van that someone has stuck a Cali roof on.

Oh, in addition it may have been crashed and had a face-lift front end added...

I’ve just looked at the user map (link at top left) and there is no one in Diss, but they may not have put their location in; or it may have been an earlier owner.

Anyway, it looks a fine van. The bellows looks a little baggy at the front which may be just the angle, but it may be worth having a closer look at it, and particularly the hydraulics which should pull it taut - check out some photos of vans with roofs up on this forum. £16k is a real bargain even if the bellows was knackered, but

Edit: no it’s not a Cali! :headbang

No windows in rear, sliding door on wrong side
Didn't see that, transfixed with the bellows! :headbang

I best go and check mine is a real Cali! :D

Ouch. Well, at least I posted in the appropriate section - 'beginners'. Very much so! Sorry, and thanks for guidance anyway!
I’d be interested to see the wording of the Ad. Many will have fallen for “California STYLE”. You did well to check here.

Ouch. Well, at least I posted in the appropriate section - 'beginners'. Very much so! Sorry, and thanks for guidance anyway!
Well for the price it's a lot of van, if the conversion has been done properly. It's a 174 BHP too. Be interesting to see some internal photos if you go back, keep in touch.

Kombi conversion.
Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 06.44.50.jpg

@Tom Maddox , you got lucky this time but you need to do a bit more homework if you want a Cali not a conversion. The biggest clue that a van is a genuine Cali is a single sliding door to the (Uk) offside of the van. If it ain't got that walk away.

BTW many conversions are good but as in this case sometimes done on an old high mileage vans and marketed incorrectly, plenty of fraudsters out there. I'm glad you posted a pic before buying. :thumb

Cheeky b******s putting a forum sticker on it.

Cheeky b******s putting a forum sticker on it.
Now now. We have plenty of Conversion owners.:thumb

I'd love to know if it had a California badge on the tailgate or California footwell lights as well.

Now now. We have plenty of Conversion owners.:thumb
Quite right and I do like a nice conversion, I was of the opinion it had been deliberately stuck on to deceive a potential buyer though, not a forum member selling their conversion.

It's got rear barn doors too.... So no seats in the (non existent) tailgate.

I’d be interested to see the wording of the Ad. Many will have fallen for “California STYLE”. You did well to check here.

I found the ad for it on eBay, I suspect the wording has been carefully chosen to be correct, but easily misconstrued by the gullible e.g. 'T5 Camper Van', 'California pop top electric roof', 'top range', 'VW Transporter'

Dont walk, run away from that van. Its an ex delivery van which as had god knows how many drivers. The ad is set up to mislead, they can't even get the pictures the right way up. My best advice is go to a vw meeting, see the vans, talk to the owners. Do not buy the first thing you see.F

My first thought when i read the OP was : for that money you won't even buy a good 20y old T4 California ....

Back