Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top 10 accessories you won't find in the catalog

Trail Planner

Trail Planner

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Here is a light-hearted look at what we find useful after 30-years in VW campervans. Our top 10. (you will not find in these in the VW accessory brochure).

I'd love to hear what you find useful for extended trips, items that are really worth their weight in gold. Our current van is a VW T4 2001 VW California Event, owned since new.

Lots of people find me insane in dragging all my items around all year ("All geared..."). Well, they exaggerate, I only have essentials... ;-). Really don't want to drop one of them. Some are very simple small interventions, but they make me happy on a daily base. So let's put it differently, the first 10 things I would get in a new van again would be :

10. My tailgate slide out table. Always covered, always horizontal
35532-2178558dfe33c822fc7bac0fe424fc93.jpg
9. The Limo glass tinting. No more stress for hiding valuables out of view, no more stress of not knowing what's happening at night with the screens down.
IMG-2356.jpg
8. The folding tripod relax chairs. Perfect fit for the boot, perfect fit for whatever bumpy field, perfect fit for the beer.
34860-df22f09e9cf1731e54539c5e87b16e15.jpg
7. The Brandrup mosquito net. Its full mesh (without 'doors' in the middle) makes that it's nearly invisible from inside. Permanently stored at the C-pilar, so without disturbing folds.
54981-0fd1f35cf2a4cd5c81bcaf4c787b3a2e.jpg
6. My kitchen cutting boards. Very useful and flexible working surface for when the table is already filled.
36704-6a4242a91dbc0c5bdc05e2e01632ea9d.jpg
5. My stool/container/coffee table/luggable-loo/...: allows to sit properly at the table, or drop loose items into, etc etc...
35174-7c2aaa403c85f9f3d81e29f5f0f50783.jpg
4. The Ikea kitchen rail. For whatever.
56594-8c79275e56c8f07a697c9bc5f3800265.jpg
3. My orange filters in front of the 4 cabin side spotlights. Ultra-cosy late night. The bright white one in the middle goes only on for working.
37626-1992068bcc3bdb5668d6978eaf091555.jpg
2. My neck-rest cushions. Really-relax driving.
38182-8e2e5f0bfe2a866896a525e2b9f8f939.jpg
1. My slide-in i-phone charger. No cables, and out of view.
33032-1c4fcf3b2a4985061a8609870d5c2157.jpg

Now for the top 20, there's still the folding boxes, the coat hanger at the chair, the Brandrup chair pockets, the Fiama leveling ramps, the tire grip mats,...
I know, I know,... ;-)

Last edited:
Lots of people find me insane in dragging all my items around all year ("All geared..."). Well, they exaggerate, I only have essentials... ;-). Really don't want to drop one of them. Some are very simple small interventions, but they make me happy on a daily base. So let's put it differently, the first 10 things I would get in a new van again would be :

View attachment 58248
9. The Limo glass tinting. No more stress for hiding valuables out of view, no more stress of not knowing what's happening at night with the screens down.
View attachment 58245
8. The folding tripod relax chairs. Perfect fit for the boot, perfect fit for whatever bumpy field, perfect fit for the beer.
View attachment 58250
7. The Brandrup mosquito net. Its full mesh (without 'doors' in the middle) makes that it's nearly invisible from inside. Permanently stored at the C-pilar, so without disturbing folds.
View attachment 58243
6. My kitchen cutting boards. Very useful and flexible working surface for when the table is already filled.
View attachment 58247
5. My stool/container/coffee table/luggable-loo/...: allows to sit properly at the table, or drop loose items into, etc etc...
View attachment 58249
View attachment 58242
3. My orange filters in front of the 4 cabin side spotlights. Ultra-cosy late night. The bright white one in the middle goes only on for working.
View attachment 58246
View attachment 58244
View attachment 58251

Now for the top 20, there's still the folding boxes, the coat hanger at the chair, the Brandrup chair pockets, the Fiama leveling ramps, the tire grip mats,...
I know, I know,... ;-)
Do you have any more photos of your pull out table please?

I would love to know more about how you made the orange filters for the lights and the headrests!

Do you have any more photos of your pull out table please?
In fact the reason why you can't enlarge the images when clicking onto is because I simply dragged them out my thread "All Geared", since I don't have the originals on my new laptop here yet. You'll find all details in there.

Hi @Martyn Howe love your blog, you've completed some amazing trails and journeys.
A few of our must have accessories especially on our European jaunts.

1 Cadac gas bbq stove, fab little multi use package.
2 Quechua pop up tent, packs very small, quick to use, sadly not available anymore.
3 "VW" plastic awning mat, helps keep crap out of the van and creates a nice space.
4 Vinyl glass worktop protectors, great colours, hard wearing, saves your glass from scratches.
5 Bungy washing line.
6 Microfibre towels.

camper van and tent.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a light-hearted look at what we find useful after 30-years in VW campervans. Our top 10. (you will not find in these in the VW accessory brochure).

I'd love to hear what you find useful for extended trips, items that are really worth their weight in gold. Our current van is a VW T4 2001 VW California Event, owned since new.

Thanks, useful to share and think we’ll invest in external front windscreen cover x

Hi @Martyn Howe love your blog, you've completed some amazing trails and journeys.

2 Quechua pop up tent, packs very small, quick to use, sadly not available anymore.
3 "VW" plastic awning mat, helps keep crap out of the van and creates a nice space.
4 Vinyl glass worktop protectors, great colours, hard wearing, saves your glass from scratches.
5 Bungy washing line.
6 Microfibre towels.

View attachment 58263
That's what bike racks are for!

5 Bungy washing line.
6 Microfibre towels.

View attachment 58263
+1 microfibre towels
Not sure about the tent. If I had one, my wife would make me sleep in it :)

View attachment 58248
View attachment 58245
View attachment 58250
View attachment 58243
View attachment 58247
View attachment 58249
View attachment 58242
View attachment 58246
View attachment 58244
View attachment 58251

I know, I know,... ;-)

Ah, i was just about to pull the plug on a MAXXCAMP magnetic sliding door mosquito net and now you have made me confused with your praise for the Brandrup one!

I looked up MAXXCAMP on here and there seem to be some customer service issues too. Hmmm...

@Martyn Howe - some amazing journeys on your blog there. Thank you for sharing. :thumb simply WOW!

Am I right in thinking the MAXXCAMP product relies only on magnets unlike the Brandrup which requires sticking Velcro to the van? I too fancy the MAXXCAMP version but will probably wait until we get through the other side of the Covid crisis. I'll be interested to know which way you go.
You are right in thinking that.

Sticking the velcro around the door opening put me off the
Brandrup ones.
The Maxxcamp look good with the magnetic fastenings.

e2c7cd87175e08f7d2a4114f5afcc94a.jpg versus 100.jpg

or chique et cher :
PRO_SK101285_1.jpg (500€)

Last edited:
can you get the table out of the door without removing either of those?

I would love to know more about how you made the orange filters for the lights and the headrests!
Me too, more info please. Standard lights are a little 50’s for me, more warmth needed

Me too, more info please. Standard lights are a little 50’s for me, more warmth needed
@BrendanJ , @ThomasHJ , see https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...ocean-interior-organisation.25087/post-309643
and further in the same thread, post # 48 and #140.
You can clip out the plastic cover of the spots with your nail (from the straight side), then cut out a filter out of a plastic orange organizer, and stick it on the inside of the cover with a small piece of scotch.
And relax,...
l-shape-file-folder-500x500.jpg
edit: I remember now that I took a piece from an ink cartridge protection foil, perhaps a bit more transparant.

Last edited:
can you get the table out of the door without removing either of those?
Yes, the Maxxcamp will leave you a triangular opening, while the Brandrup opens completely. The only disadvantage of the latter is the closing of the underside when you're in, which is easier magnetic. What convinced me is the fact that it's always present, that it's straight without folds, and without the zipper in the middle disturbing a bit the view. The velcro is perfectly tuned with the interior colors, not at all disturbing, and super strong.
05e8957fcfa4c8cbeb1a57aad2d3d9ae.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 58248
View attachment 58245
View attachment 58250
View attachment 58243
View attachment 58247
View attachment 58249
View attachment 58242
View attachment 58246
View attachment 58244
View attachment 58251

I know, I know,... ;-)
can you please send me details of your slide in phone charger. Will it work with any apple phone?

can you please send me details of your slide in phone charger. Will it work with any apple phone?

It's a DIY, so you make it fit to whatever phone. Mine is the iPhone 6+, and he just fits to close the lid when slid into the connector.

Last edited:
Bikes on the back.
Walking boots in the boot.
Bed sheets, duvet and pillows.
Clothes food and drink.
Kitchen equipment.
EHU, double electric hob, electric hotplate and a Trangia.
Extra camping table and 2 folding chairs, windbreak.

That's all I ever take.

Oh and Mrs K most of the time.

Love the term Thunderbird Packs. We have them too, but until now they haven’t had a name. They do now!

Back