Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Topper....do we need one?

Whitehouse_03

Whitehouse_03

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have a Brandrup roof liner in our T5 SE and I was unsure whether a topper is needed too. Is the purpose for both for warmth/thermal regulation or will a topper waterproof the roof? We have our first wet weather trip this weekend and want to be prepared! Thanks

I have the "external" topper. If I were in your position I'd stick with just the Brandrup. My main reason for getting the topper was to keep the roof canvas dry any insulation was secondary. Unless you are going to be out in extremely cold weather then I say you don't need both, so long as you able to dry your roof canvas.

I don´t think many people use both together, it would be good to have both
in winter on a ski trip to keep the snow/ice off the canvas or
even in the north west.

So insulation works both ways of course. It will help keep the Cali and outside temperatures separate and be favourable to what you want inside regardless of hot or cold so although the heater does a grand job keeping the brandrup is a no brainer.
People on here have camped in conditions where the bellows haven't kept the rain out but in fairness that should be more extreme driving wind and rain. I think any rain inside the bellows is not the experience you look for so for me a topper was high on the list and I can't see a reason they can't be used together.

An external topper will stop you being able to open the roof windows for ventilation. Unless you are off to the arctic just the internal topper will be fine this time of year.

We have a Brandrup roof liner in our T5 SE and I was unsure whether a topper is needed too. Is the purpose for both for warmth/thermal regulation or will a topper waterproof the roof? We have our first wet weather trip this weekend and want to be prepared! Thanks
Can you dry the roof Bellows at home? If No then use an external Topper.

Thanks all for your replies, it’s been really helpful as always.

An external topper will stop you being able to open the roof windows for ventilation. Unless you are off to the arctic just the internal topper will be fine this time of year.
You can still get plenty of ventilation via the roof vents with a topper on, though not enough in the hot weather. But in cooler weather it is great to be able to open the vents for air without the wind blowing directly in.