Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Total Newbie question - how to get in the upper bed?

CDinFrance

CDinFrance

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I found one post about a broken armrest and a Fiamma ladder, but it is still unclear to me whether the Cali has a slick way to get in and out of the roof bed...

If there is an elegant way to get in it then I have yet to find it :sad

Whatever I do it normally ends up as an ungainly scramble that at some point threatens to have me firmly wedged sideways in the upstairs canopy :shocked Escape normally ends up with me having one foot in whatever I'm using for a loo that morning,

Many do not even bother and sleep downstaires , we go up without ladders or steps
Step on the seat and use arms to push yourself up untin you can sit on the bed , than lift legs up and turn in the bed...easy!

Many do not even bother and sleep downstaires , we go up without ladders or steps
Step on the seat and use arms to push yourself up untin you can sit on the bed , than lift legs up and turn in the bed...easy!

I totally agree with this.
We've hardly ever slept downstairs and even in our 70s have found the scramble up top to be relatively straightforward and the reward is a much comfier and wider bed! And plenty of uncluttered space left below.
So go for it.
However I am about 6 weeks into rehab from a triple bypass and although everything seems to be knitting together just fine I'm wondering how long to put off my first reintroduction to the big climb.
Might post a video when I do.
Should be instructive if not a bit of a laugh.
:)

@barry get well soon and great idea about a video.

We normaly stand on the turned passenger seat (LHD) and facing the back of our cali, one our hand on the bed (right hand) and the left one just above the passenger window/on the roof and a tiny hop and a so called 180ty and there you go... mhm.. I have to film this move to laugh/giggle :)

I and......maybe I should just say we, have used exactly the same method as you have described with trouble on at least two occasions in hire vans. No trouble. I was just wondering if a better solution exists, for when I get older you understand and get my own Cali - those arm rests do look rather vulnerable.;)

There are two older treads that are kicked back up today in "recent posts" regarding this.

I and......maybe I should just say we, have used exactly the same method as you have described with trouble on at least two occasions in hire vans. No trouble. I was just wondering if a better solution exists, for when I get older you understand and get my own Cali - those arm rests do look rather vulnerable.;)

You do not use the armrests under any circumstances :shocked

With the passenger seats facing forward it's a lot easier. One foot on backwards-facing drivers seat, one foot on seat back shoulder of forward-facing passenger seat, ones ever so elegant, if slightly oversized, backside then positioned on bed edge, shuffle one's pert but slightly saggy butt backwards, then spin on one's ever so perfectly-shaped but slightly flat-tyre looking rear to be looking towards the rear.

Of course with the "added-wine-effect" .... ... the elegant positioning of ones butt on bed edge often results in a slightly crumpled backwards-roll meaning that one's head is facing upwards at the narrow end necessitating all sorts of gymnastic gyrations but that is another lesson in "upper-bed survival techniques" :shocked

You do not use the armrests under any circumstances :shocked

With the passenger seats facing forward it's a lot easier. One foot on backwards-facing drivers seat, one foot on seat back shoulder of forward-facing passenger seat, ones ever so elegant, if slightly oversized, backside then positioned on bed edge, shuffle one's pert but slightly saggy butt backwards, then spin on one's ever so perfectly-shaped but slightly flat-tyre looking rear to be looking towards the rear.

Of course with the "added-wine-effect" .... ... the elegant positioning of ones butt on bed edge often results in a slightly crumpled backwards-roll meaning that one's head is facing upwards at the narrow end necessitating all sorts of gymnastic gyrations but that is another lesson in "upper-bed survival techniques" :shocked
Hadn't thought about the seats facing forwards, must try that one. Gymnastics and the consequent gyrations are interesting/entertaining and I am happy to learn with or without "added-wine-effect" of course. That said if it achieves heads facing forwards and feet backwards for both of us then that would be a result - If we need to shut our eyes to avoid the worst of the not so elegant that's OK but it's hardly the best start to a "keep warm cuddle". It was a bit of a struggle, but not impossible, for us in September/October of last year, especially for Mrs JW even if she went up first. I have read the options on this and other threads of rope ladders etc but still cant believe there isn't a better solution. We will have fun practising all the options (not using the arm rests) and see how we get on.

Aaah it is a while since I watched this! When I first got the Cali I watched it Over and over. Very useful introduction to the van as a whole and makes getting into the bed look oh so simple. I was trying to get in head first before watching this. Mind being well over 6 ft probably helps him

The Scharphof Manoeuvre at 6m30s:
We have used this method when we hired a couple of vans last year and it was OK for me, but Mrs JW? Let's say I'll not be posting a video!!
I am still looking for a better solution.

We have used this method when we hired a couple of vans last year and it was OK for me, but Mrs JW? Let's say I'll not be posting a video!!
I am still looking for a better solution.

Either the bed will need to be 18" lower or my bum needs to be where my head currently is for me to do that :sad

Well, my wife is 62 y old and only 1.6 m and encounters no trouble whatsoever with the "Scharphof method".

My technic is a variant on the one shown on the video clip. I sleep up-top and my my wife sleeps below. Our Cali is LHD so first I reverse the passenger seat. We use two Dakine EQ 50L sports bags for our clothes. (These store easily on the rear parcel shelf when traveling). I stack both these onto the drivers seat at night, for ease of access and storing day clothes. I get onto the top bed just like the man in the video, bottom first, and I then use this stack of bags as a step to help boost me up. Vey easy! The same stack of two bags helps on descending as well.

Simples!

I was told by my VW dealer not to step on the middle of the seats because it can break the heating element in the seat. We always stand on the edge of the seat with one foot and then the 'shoulder' of the other seat whilst seats are turned round. Very simple.

We have a ladder that's in row pieces. When it's up and running it fits into or on the the metal surround. Getting up top is simple. We've only had two nights downstairs.