Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Total Newbie question - how to get in the upper bed?

I've applied to join the Trekies as I 'think' you get a beam me up Scotty gismo.

I am reliably informed by my husband that he got into the top bed the other evening by performing an impeccable forward roll. I can't comment on this as it was dark and all I heard was an elephant climbing into bed :rolleyes:

We have a similar work well.

The athletic way is to stand on one of the front seats across the vehicle's longitudinal direction and grasp with one hand on the bed and the other in the front edge of the roof frame and then lift and twist the bottom backward motion up at the bed.

NEWER stand on the armrests, they will brake sooner or later if you do!

/C

We have a similar work well.

The athletic way is to stand on one of the front seats across the vehicle's longitudinal direction and grasp with one hand on the bed and the other in the front edge of the roof frame and then lift and twist the bottom backward motion up at the bed.

NEWER stand on the armrests, they will brake sooner or later if you do!

/C
Thanks C, this is OK for me but my lady is less mobile and keeps asking about ladders - she want to sleep in the bigger upstairs bed.....

Hi Gladys, did you buy these ladders? Have you used them yet?

Any report?
Cheers for now
Hi jabberwocky! Not yet, we're of to the motorhome show at great Yorkshire Showground weekend of 25th March to see if we can find one there - if not, we'll definitely be ordering them that week. Now we've used the cali a bit there are a few mods/gadgets we'll be lookinh out for - this is A Number 1 !

Hi jabberwocky! Not yet, we're of to the motorhome show at great Yorkshire Showground weekend of 25th March to see if we can find one there - if not, we'll definitely be ordering them that week. Now we've used the cali a bit there are a few mods/gadgets we'll be lookinh out for - this is A Number 1 !

I have this one. Very sturdy and seems to stay in place well. Don't really use it as I tend to sleep downstairs but might if I have visitors! Very helpful people to deal with - there are a couple of ladders on the site.

http://www.vwcampershop.nl/en/campercentrum-specials/532-stairs-pop-up-roof.html

I have this one. Very sturdy and seems to stay in place well. Don't really use it as I tend to sleep downstairs but might if I have visitors! Very helpf.ul people to deal with - there are a couple of ladders on the site.

http://www.vwcampershop.nl/en/campercentrum-specials/532-stairs-pop-up-roof.html
Yes, seen these at the vwcampershop - they look interesting.One of them dose not fold, and of course storage is a potential issue I'm a kind of see/try before buy kind of guy so will be looking closely at options. We are very fortunate in that we are going to the Netherlands later this year and Amersfoort is not far off our route. (Note to self - get credit card prepared!!);)

Cool, i looked at that one too as its a better price but looked a bit bulkier. Where do you stow it?

It is in the loft at the moment but I am pretty sure that it slots down the side of the boot into the gap between the seat and the kitchen unit.

I've no experience of these but someone did post a solution that looks like a "rope" ladder that fits over the headrest of the drivers seat. Search required ;-) Found it: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-to-get-upstairs.961/#post-149887
Hmm I see that you have already taken part in that thread so all this typing is probs useless to you. Sorry, I'll get my coat.

An expensive item but does appear to very secure assuming that is the most important.

..me..

I've no experience of these but someone did post a solution that looks like a "rope" ladder that fits over the headrest of the drivers seat. Search required ;-) Found it: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-to-get-upstairs.961/#post-149887
Hmm I see that you have already taken part in that thread so all this typing is probs useless to you. Sorry, I'll get my coat.

An expensive item but does appear to very secure assuming that is the most important.

..me..
Coat not needed. No worries TJ, on the positive side you made me smile :) Thanks for that.

My wife is adamant I must buy one of these.
https://www.maxxcamp.de/en/shop/products/228_ladder.php
Very very expensive (£160 + p&p) but can you a put a price on the better halfs comfort? At the first mention of price she reels off all the extras I have specified. I then shut up.
I am hoping I can store it vertically behind the front passenger seat rather than on the rear of the bench seat as it doesn't quite fit on the back of seat if you ask me.

Why not buy a cheap telescopic ladder off Fleabay (£40) and just remove the top sections you dont need?

..me..
Mostly we sleep downstairs but I use the "Rope Ladder" on the front seat for access upstairs when required. Light, easily stored, very strong and not expensive.

IMG_0251.JPG
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Boat...0068&clkid=3097652205966159751&_qi=RTM2108002

Saw that in a cross ref thread & it was just what I was thinking of doing a DIY job. Bought/ordered one now so well timed bit of info. :thanks

.......... I then shut up.
I am hoping I can store it vertically behind the front passenger seat rather than on the rear of the bench seat as it doesn't quite fit on the back of seat if you ask me.
Wise man!

Yes, I also find all the ad's etc for ladders for Cali's rather frustrating because they don't really address the issue of storage, and if they do, its seems not to be universal - i.e. they will show a Beach or an Ocean but not both. I will sort this one but when I am not sure.

Why not buy a cheap telescopic ladder off Fleabay (£40) and just remove the top sections you dont need?
Good thought - another avenue.

Good thought - another avenue.
I think that if I were to buy a ladder, I'd want it to have the dual purpose of:
an aid to the upstairs bed; and,
a means to access whatever is on the roof.​
In Corfe last weekend I wanted to sort out a little problem with the roof topper, but without the faff of lowering the roof. Luckily I found some old milk crates behind the shower block, and was able to use them.

I have this link for a possible future purchase saved in my "other bookmarks" folder for a possible purchase. Apparently it can be stowed with the chairs in the tailgate. If 15" isn't sufficient for you, there is an 18" version, link here. I would worry about the stool's feet damaging the fabric on the front seat if used in that way to access upstairs - but I am sure that a way could be found to put some sort of "shoe" on each of the feet to spread the load a little better.

I found one post about a broken armrest and a Fiamma ladder, but it is still unclear to me whether the Cali has a slick way to get in and out of the roof bed...
A bottle of wine helps. Can't remember how I did it though. :thumb

I think that if I were to buy a ladder, I'd want it to have the dual purpose of:
an aid to the upstairs bed; and,
a means to access whatever is on the roof.​
In Corfe last weekend I wanted to sort out a little problem with the roof topper, but without the faff of lowering the roof. Luckily I found some old milk crates behind the shower block, and was able to use them.

I have this link for a possible future purchase saved in my "other bookmarks" folder for a possible purchase. Apparently it can be stowed with the chairs in the tailgate. If 15" isn't sufficient for you, there is an 18" version, link here. I would worry about the stool's feet damaging the fabric on the front seat if used in that way to access upstairs - but I am sure that a way could be found to put some sort of "shoe" on each of the feet to spread the load a little better.
Bookmarked for future reference. Thanks.