Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Total width of van with electric mirrors folded?

A

AlfyBirkett

Would like to know what the width of the van is with the electric mirrors folded up (I measured it myself and it seemed to be about the same as with the mirrors unfolded - can that be right?). Am thinking of renting a garage, but the garage door in question is not very wide, so I'd need to get the exact measurements. Many thanks.

Look on VW website, you should find dimensions there. Mine 2006 is 2242mm wide mirrors open and 2100 with mirrors closed. Should fit in a standard garage without folding mirrors. The problem i have is the height with the awning attached it won't clear the up & over door

Thanks for reply. My van dates from 2010 and the manual only gives the dimensions with or without mirrors and says nothing about folded mirrors unfortunately. No-one else with a 2010 van?

AlfyBirkett said:
Thanks for reply. My van dates from 2010 and the manual only gives the dimensions with or without mirrors and says nothing about folded mirrors unfortunately. No-one else with a 2010 van?

If you have the exact width with the unfolded mirrors given, you probably can work out the desired dimension,

just measure the distance:
- between window and edge of the mirror when unfolded,
- the same with mirror folded,
- take the difference,
- multiply by 2
and substract from the car width when mirrors unfolded.

I think this should give quite an accurate result.

Anybody has that precise measure for T6 with mirrors folded? Got 225mm wide parking space with concrete walls on both sides. Need to know if it fits or I should get a wider space.
No data on VW sites.

Anybody has that precise measure for T6 with mirrors folded? Got 225mm wide parking space with concrete walls on both sides. Need to know if it fits or I should get a wider space.
No data on VW sites.

It will be exact the same as the T5....

Not folded is 2297 mm stated in the T6 brochure , folded makes not much a diffrence it is not specicated In the brochure with folded mirrors....

No data on VW sites.

The mirrors on the T6 are the same as the T5, they DO NOT fold inwards, but rotate upwards to present a more rounded profile. As a consequence there is minimal, if any, difference in the width measurement with the mirrors folded or unfolded.:thumb

No data on VW sites.
I assume you will be entering/ exiting through the tailgate?

I assume you will be entering/ exiting through the tailgate?
Though the roof tent.
There is a pillar between parking spots.
So 211mm is pretty close..

Though the roof tent.
There is a pillar between parking spots.
So 211mm is pretty close..

Pretty close? ....that would just fit a matchbox car...;)
Guess you mean 2110 mm

Also not figure out how you are gonne leave the Cali thru the roof?

Pretty close? ....that would just fit a matchbox car...;)
Guess you mean 2110 mm

Also not figure out how you are gonne leave the Cali thru the roof?
I hope there is only 1 full wall and a pillar or post obstructing the opening to the space

The mirrors on the T6 are the same as the T5, they DO NOT fold inwards, but rotate upwards to present a more rounded profile. As a consequence there is minimal, if any, difference in the width measurement with the mirrors folded or unfolded.:thumb

Yes and they don't fold forwards if you catch them either. We have about three inches clearance either side of of our van as we have to come through our gate at an angle. Not helped by the van tipping as it goes over the kerb. I caught the tip of the drivers mirror a while ago trying to back in in the dark and it unlatched from the body. Most expensive (£320) half inch of my life as they don't push back into place. Complete new assembly required.
Pretty rubbish design IMO.

I might just put some protective tape over the concrete walls at mirrors level. Have 3-4 inches to both side if calculations are right.
After all, it is not an everyday parking. Just don't want to leave it outside on a public parking.
Funny that I've scratched a mirror parking a brand new CR-V for the 1st time there and in 6 years can park it there almost blindfolded. :)

Just measured mine (t5 but same mirrors)

Unfolded they are 29.5 cm from the glass of window to outer edge

Folded they are 21 cm

So the van is 17cm narrower mirrors folded. (Give or take a few mm to account for my eyes!)

Thanks for info :) with 7 cm on each side it might be manageable.

Mine fold inwards !!!!

John

Just mesured about 2m10cm with folded mirrors

Yea, old system with proper folding back saved way more space. A modern one is kinda controversial. :)
Thanks a lot for measures and even photos.

I also find it very annoying that the later T5 mirrors fold upwards. I previously had a 2008 T5' which just fitted into my garage with the mirrors folded in. Last year, we swopped it for a new one, with fold up mirrors. It would not fit in the garage. I had to have the garage door mechanism modified (dog-leg welded into the up and over door stays) so that it will now just fit. Definitely not progress in design!

I don´t know how much is it, but folding the mirrors does make a difference. Our T5 fits the garage only with folded mirrors, so it is a BIG difference to us

take a look at the technical drawings of your chosen vechile at https://umbauportal.de/jctumbau/web/guest/transporter-2009-2015 for T5 or https://umbauportal.de/jctumbau/web/guest/transporter-aufbaurichtlinien for T6, easy to convert German to English, look for tiff or pdf file and it will not only give you the width with and without mirrors plus also height of unit with doors open and lots lots more, there are even foil images which enable you to paint your vechicle and see what it looks like

Hi all

I've a T5. Looking to buy a T6. The mirrors will be too wide folded for the garage. Has anyone heard if the mountings are same as T5 (can they just be exchanged?) Or any other solutions?

Thanks
G.

Back