Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tour de France 2016

Martyn 4950

Martyn 4950

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Is anyone thinking of doing a bit of following this, this year? I believe its a great experience even if you are that much into cycling

Is anyone thinking of doing a bit of following this, this year? I believe its a great experience even if you are that much into cycling

It's a spectacle, but probably more spectator friendly in the mountains.

We saw it a few years ago when the route passed a mile or so from our house in the South of France. We took a picnic and walked to the closest point, which happened to be a feeding station where the teams hand out food and drinks to the riders as they go past.

We were on a fairly fast stage, so you get the sponsors advertising floats going past first, throwing out freebies and goody bags as they go. Then TV helicopters flying around and finally the peloton goes past in a flash (even though they had to slow down to grab their food bags).

We had an interesting couple of hours and it was worth the effort, but I think that some of the classic mountain climbs would be better if you are making a day of it.

Did it last year cycling from Calais to Caine's and picking up the tour for some of the mountain stages. Some great riding and a great day on Alpe d'Huez. On corner 3 were the beefeaters who were brilliant.

3493221aabe7cb2aaefa5a1cc5588aeb.jpg

If you recall there was a lot of competition between Movistar and Sky. I was between bends 2 and 3 and as the leading Movistar rider dropped off the front at this point having lead his team into the climb I saw a Sky car pull alongside him and hand him a bottle. That is more the spirit between the riders rather than some of the rubbish that was dished out. It was in this climb that Froome had some less pleasant liquid thrown at him.

Been over to watch on a couple of occasions. Its a great spectacle and event. The best stages to watch are either the mountain or time trial ones as you get to see the riders for a (slightly) longer time.
Will need to be in place a couple of hours before the race comes through and roads are often closed hours or even the day before. Publicity caravan is mad, people battling to get some plastic tat :talktothehand

Have been several times and going again this year. The race starts in Mont St. Michel and the first 3 days are up around the Normandy region so very easy to get to from Cherbourg. A great spectacle and a super atmosphere even if you're not a cyclist. Mountain stages are terrific as the riders pass by slowly whereas on the flat they are gone in the blink of an eye.

I've watched a number of stages over the years. This is my first year with the van. I've booked a week's camping near Mont Ventoux, so I can see that stage and the next day's time trial in the Ardeche. I'll be joined by a friend with a motorbike, so we can get close to the stages.

Hoping to catch the last mountain stages in the Alps on the way home from our 2 1/2 Summer week adventure.
Not sure where to camp yet or if it will even be possible to find sites with space anywhere near at this late stage but we can always ride in a bit.

Same as above, seen a few over the years but this will be my first year with the wagon :)

Rode Mt Ventoux last summer on my 50th birthday, amazing how they get up there so quick! Oh yeah EPO ;)

Having only just got van in May I was a bit nervous to commit to visiting this years tour as I haven't been abroad in van yet and still getting to grips with bits and bobs and the logistics of camping full stop . I will however be aiming to go and see some of next years tour so would be interested to hear other people's experiences and perhaps how best to combine it with wider trip and how far ahead you need to plan/book up etc

I went across last year and three of us cycled Calais to Cannes with a support vehicle, my Touran with a driver and single man tents.
As we were not sure quite how far we would go each day we tried to give ourselves a couple of options so never booked except for a 5 day slot up near Alpe d'Huez. Saw a Cali on that site with 3 lads who were mountain biking and was one of the nudges I needed. We booked that site about a month before and glad we did as it was busy.
We got to see the tour on 2 stages and 2 ride up Alpe d'Huez with a big crowd and it was great fun as was riding to and from the stages.
We never booked any if the sites and got into them all despite a couple being full when they were told it was for cyclists who were touring. Very hospitable

Mike

Definitely worth seeing even if you're not into cycling. The carnival atmosphere is fantastic.
Just down the round from our house in the Pyrenees last year.

Following via TV from my sofa courtesy of ITV4 who have live coverage everyday this year. New game in my household for this year's tour: spot the Cali at the side of the road - currently averaging around one a stage :thumb
Cheers, Windwitch

We will be watching it when it hits Lake Annecy and Morzine. :thumb

Hey
I suppose Its great for one day
But mind you if you look at the pictures out off the helicopters , there's a bout a million mobilhomes on the sides off the road...
all wanting to get to the next stage once the cyclistst have passed...
You will all be travelling as gooses at 15mph in one loooooong convoy..
not for me .....sorry
but to each his own...
cheers
Peter

Hey
I suppose Its great for one day
But mind you if you look at the pictures out off the helicopters , there's a bout a million mobilhomes on the sides off the road...
all wanting to get to the next stage once the cyclistst have passed...
You will all be travelling as gooses at 15mph in one loooooong convoy..
not for me .....sorry
but to each his own...
cheers
Peter
It doesn't sound as if you've ever followed Le Tour in a van. I have done a few years and it's not like this at all

Not watching it but whose got the best drug/cheat mask this year?

Grey Cali with roof up and awning out on a brilliant mini peak about 10 meters above the leading three. Great shot. Featured for a good few seconds. Stage 8.

I try to watch the last km and the finisch every day as i get hom from work arround 5pm , seen many pop-tops so far....:thumb
I just like watching those stunning views , like today in the Pyrenees ....

We are in the Pyrenees in our red Cali Ocean. Helen went to watch the Tourmalet stage on Saturday, I sneaked up the Aubisque on my bike instead. Off to see the Carcassonne stage for Wednesday then more riding.

Grey Cali with roof up and awning out on a brilliant mini peak about 10 meters above the leading three. Great shot. Featured for a good few seconds. Stage 8.

Yes, Barry, spotted that one - it looked like a mountain billy goat, proud on its crag :bananadance

Averaging four or five a stage on the mountain stages. Roll on tomorrow!

Cheers, Wind Witch

I think I started in 1990, LeMond and Indurain duking it out on Luz Ardiden in the Pyrenees. Indurans first stage, LeMonds last tour win. We were 7 lads and bikes in a merc minibus, camping and having a great time. Next year was TWO buses and L'Alpe D'Huez. Then a weekender on bikes from Ostend to Lille for Boardmans first prologue. Dublin a few years later, another Boardman prologue and a wet day in Wicklow. Finally, two years ago, me and my bike mate Nige road out from our homes near Kendal to watch it on Buttertubs. What a day, Yorskshire at its best.

Every one has been special, but the first exposure was more akin to a religious experience. Quite incredible.

Just to go off piste for a mo. I always liked LeMond, a much under rated rider, and cruelly denigrated by he who cannot be named from Texas. LeMond is his prime was class, huge VO2 max and he had real guts. Gave us a couple of the best races ever for his first and second wins: toe to toe first with Hinault then with poor Fignon.

Anyway, Froomy looks pretty good in today's test. Simply cannot understand these folks ( like one lady on TV) who go halfway up a mountain to boo the malliot jeune. Specially as the riders mostly seemed genuinely distressed by todays awful news from Nice; you'd think it would give folks cause to pause and think about beIng so negative. Ho hum
Ian

We did stage 1 and 2 in the Cali this year - it was my first visit to the TdF.

I think if you just park up at the side of the road and wait for them to blast by then you will be disappointed, but we had loads of fun before and after the race as well.

Our agenda was:

• Leave Work 17:00 Friday
  • Drive to Newhaven (had a very nice curry in Lewes)
  • Overnight ferry to Dieppe - arrive at 05:00
  • Drive to Mont St Michel
  • Had a nice ride around watching the Tour setup, watch the buses arrive, watch the caravan leave.
  • Watched the riders set off to the start at St Michaels Mount and a nice leisurely pace - ride alongside G for a short while.
  • Ride down the course for a few miles (back to the van) before the race starts to watch the riders pass at full speed (car park was free and served hotdogs!)
  • Back in the van - drive across Manche to Campsite in Sainte Mère eglise
  • Bike from Campsite to Utah Beach
  • Watch the finish - see Cav win his first ever yellow Jersey
  • Bike around Utah beach - get a great show from the French Red arrows - which are blue :)
  • Overnight at Sainte Mère eglise (campsite has a micro brewery attached)
  • Drive from Campsite to St Lo
  • Watch the buses arrive - see Mark Cavendish leave bus in Yellow
  • Caravan Leaves
  • Peleton Leaves
  • Leave St Lo to drive to Dieppe about lunchtime
  • Ferry Leaves about 17:00 - watch the end of the stage on the TV on the Ferry (and also have time to watch the first half of the France-Iceland game ) - home for 23:00

Since then I have been watching every stage on ITV4 between 7 and 8 while on the exercise bike - I think I am becoming a bit overly obsessed.

Very busy weekend, but had a great time and saw plenty of bikes and cyclists. We were worried about being caught in a convoy of cars and caravans, but had no such problem - the French roads are very good, and the french organisers are amazing at closing and opening roads to let the peleton through without blocking the road all day.

Will be going to Germany next year for the grand depart.