Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar Bike rack: which one fits and allows boot access??

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Been trying to understand my choices for my T6 Cali for tow bar mounted 3 cycle capacity racks? Is there a definative answer on choice! Web is confusing as to will/wont it fit allowing boot to open! I obviously need it to swing down and also fold up small for stowage.. I have a Westfalia vw fitted detachable tow bar on my T6 Cali..

Have a search on the forums for Atera Strada or Atera Evo.

I am probably going to get the Thule rack, link below. I know this wasn't your question, but I will be adding the extension so I can get 4 bikes on it on our new T6.1.

I have a Atera DL 3. Good piece however I would go for a Thule one (I remember they changed the model name. From G 929 to...?)
e85f53c6d91edff7508931741034aece.jpeg

I have had the Altéra STRADA DL3 for about 18 months and use it a lot.

initially I was very happy with it, but the mechanism to tilt it has become very temperamental after the first winter of use, and it has never tilted as low as I’d wanted. He handlebars always just catches the boot. I can open the boor, but it’s not fully clear.

ive no idea if the Altera is better than the Strava, or the other way around, but I’d score the Altéra about a 5 out of 10.

Y

initially I was very happy with it, but the mechanism to tilt it has become very temperamental after the first winter of use, and it has never tilted as low as I’d wanted. He handlebars always just catches the boot. I can open the boor, but it’s not fully clear.

ive no idea if the Altera is better than the Strava, or the other way around, but I’d score the Altéra about a 5 out of 10.
Yes getting mixed reports about altera .. not all good...

I have had the Altera DL3 for 5 years with no issues, the inside bike bars can interfere with the door opening if they are very wide but I have not found this a big issue.

I have had the Altera DL3 for 5 years with no issues, the inside bike bars can interfere with the door opening if they are very wide but I have not found this a big issue.
Do you do any maintenance with it? I use mine all year around and in all weathers and it doesn’t seem to stand up well to winter.

I always store it in the shed when not in use, but sometimes it’s attached for a number of days.

Do you do any maintenance with it? I use mine all year around and in all weathers and it doesn’t seem to stand up well to winter.

I always store it in the shed when not in use, but sometimes it’s attached for a number of days.
Just keep it clean, it is on the back of my van for 3 months in the summer when we are in Europe and occasional use at home. Rarely when there is salt on the roads mostly because I don't want the salt on my bikes. Stored in a shed when not in use.

Mine is also stored in a bike shed with the bikes. I has to change a bulb or replace a screw but that‘s it. I sometimes spray a little teflon „grease“ on the moving parts and clean it at the local car wash.

Just keep it clean, it is on the back of my van for 3 months in the summer when we are in Europe and occasional use at home. Rarely when there is salt on the roads mostly because I don't want the salt on my bikes. Stored in a shed when not in use.
If anything, I tend to use it more in winter than summer. I do keep it clean but water and salt must get into those hard to reach places.

I did think of stripping it down but chickened out. Maybe once the weather is better.

Thule Euroclassic 928 and 929 work well with the tailgate - if you can still get them. Any newer Thule models do not tilt enough, unfortunately.
I use Thule Euroclassic 928 on a daily basis for last two years and being very satisfied,

Our Cali. SE is also fitted with Westfalia detachable tow bar. We have the Thule EuroClassic G6 928 carrier. I found it necessary to replace the stainless steel cable stays with very slightly longer ones, enabling the carrier to swing backwards and downwards just that little bit further to enable the carrier and the bikes mounted on it to clear the tailgate opening arc. Replacements stays (2 no. WR-EE-03 3mm Eye-Eye Assembly - 7x19, 200mm Pin Centres) were obtained from S3i Group, 1 Faraday Close, Snape lane, Haworth, DN11 8RU. We went for this carrier, in preference to the Altera (and some others) because we needed to carry e-bikes weighing about 23kg each.

I've also got the Altera Stada DL3 and must say that I'm very pleased. If you avoid using the first slot for an adult bike it allows full access to tailgate.

Hi there

We have a VW factory fitted fixed towbar and use the Atera Srada DL3.No problem. The tailgate clears the handlebars and it is simple to use. No contest.

If you have extra wide handlebars you might have a problem. My only tip is not to overtighten the quick release clamps on the vertical part of the frame. If they are too tight the tilt mechanism may not operate correctly.

Rack door 3.jpg

Rack loaded.jpg

Rack open 1.jpg

Rack open 2.jpg

Thule VELOSPACE series ( for sure xt3 - to be checked xt2) will work- I own one-, all the others series ( Easyfold; Velocompact etc ) will not allow to open tailgate. Top quality very satisfied.

Thanks to all above.. Didn't think it would be a straight forward answer but plenty food for thought!! Gotta go and have hands with this lot soon!