Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow-bar for 1-month old California

T

tj56amj

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone got a recommendation for the fitting of a tow-bar to my California. I went back to the dealer who has quoted £1200 to supply and fit tow-bar and electrics. This seems like a "I don't want the job" price, Any recommendations? I live in Sussex, so someone relatively close-by would be great.

Check your handbook (or the sticker under the steering column) for PR Code 1D7 - if it is present it means your vehicle has "Trailer Hitch Preparation". That should reduce the cost at a dealers as the towbar wiring loom will be largely in place. If so, try another dealer.

My new Cali was ‘tow bar ready’ and the dealer charged me £750 back in July for fitting the detachable tow bar.

Anyone got a recommendation for the fitting of a tow-bar to my California. I went back to the dealer who has quoted £1200 to supply and fit tow-bar and electrics. This seems like a "I don't want the job" price, Any recommendations? I live in Sussex, so someone relatively close-by would be great.
Look up PF Jones. Westfalia Agent. They can supply and fit including the omputer coding. They have mobile fitters and agents .
Gone are the days of a couple of bolts and a few Scotchloks for the wiring.

A Westfalia detachable towbar is identical to the oem one and will cost £600+vat fitted with a VW wiring kit and software coding so the Cali knows it’s towing. Try any decent dealer like pfj or Indespension.

Most dealers give the job to a local tow-bar fitter anyway and pocket the vast difference in prices charged.

Whoever does it make sure you check that they wire it correctly.... mine was tow bar ready from the factory with a dealer fitted towbar. When I bought it at 2 years old I found that the tow bar socket had been incorrectly wired. Obviously not checked by the dealer.

If you go elsewhere will it impact your warranty? I went back to dealer to ensure VW parts and had it in writing that it would not impact my warranty. Had issues this year and they then tried to say no warranty cover as retrofit... so produced email.
I was quoted hundreds plus VAT just for diagnostics... Turned out wires had been left loose whilst fitting tow bar electrics (reversing camera in dash makes things more complicated...)...
So although going elsewhere is cheaper now... my guess it wouldn’t be in the long run with a 1 month van and still years left in your warranty...
And £1.2k is about right for VW electrics and tow bar if no tow bar prep kit. (Also get them to out that in writing as I did but the final bill went up £300 and again I produced the paperwork to get dealer to stick to the quote...).
They say it’s a 6hr job. Mine took 17 days... watch out on that too !

Difficult to fit by a mobile man, had to take mine into a workshop, a lot of bits need to come of from underneath, the rear cross member is removed and scrapped, more so if its to have the wiring run in, think mine was about £800 for the detachable westfalia and a set of vw mud flaps on four corners..

Difficult to fit by a mobile man, had to take mine into a workshop, a lot of bits need to come of from underneath, the rear cross member is removed and scrapped, more so if its to have the wiring run in, think mine was about £800 for the detachable westfalia and a set of vw mud flaps on four corners..
I fitted mine on my drive. Parts from pf jones. Wiring loom goes under van & up through floor under passenger seat. No reason why mobile man can not do it as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

More of a struggle I would think, not saying its impossible, but a dam sight easier on a four post lift.

I used https://www.autosolutions-ltd.co.uk/ in Hailsham East Sussex. They did a brilliant job. They do a lot of work for VW dealers.

Just make sure the towbar has holes in it so it won't damage the parking sensors.
Or is that just a problem with the T5 with the old, big sensors?

A Westfalia detachable towbar is identical to the oem one and will cost £600+vat fitted with a VW wiring kit and software coding so the Cali knows it’s towing. Try any decent dealer like pfj or Indespension.
UK Westfalia (ex Witter) are different to the VW Factory fit Westfalia of German manufacture.

UK Westfalia (ex Witter) are different to the VW Factory fit Westfalia of German manufacture.
No, whilst Westfalia and Witter are both owned by Horizon, their T6 towbars are different and are branded differently even in the UK. The Westfalia detachable swan neck towbar for a T6 is the same as the oem: the Witter one is completely different with the plug in part being square in cross-section as opposed to round like the oem/Westfalia. The first one in the link is the Westfalia one and the second is the Witter one.

I had my tow bar fitted by the dealer and have never had a problem. It is quite a bit of work as the wiring has to be run through the interior of the Caravelle. Whilst it is expensive it might be worth it for price of mind. You could see if the supplying dealer will do a deal or see if they will price match with a local fitter using genuine parts.

Satnav systems chertsey
Vw approved
Highly recommend this supplier, I have used them for fitting my factory westfalia tow bar, I have recommended them many times and am aware other forum members have used them from my recommendation and have had similar good experiences
They have photos of my van, fitted with the original factory westfalia tow bar they fitted for me.
They will come to you for an additional fee.
Excellent service all in all

I guess Twyford Berks isn't too close but they fitted a fixed towbar with aftermarket loom for £250. I only use for my bike rack and it works fine.

I have in the past used Indespension for towbar fitment, and found them both competitive and competent

I have also separately used PF Jones, and was exceptionally happy with their service