Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar key removal

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just been on holiday with factory fit tow bar and mounted bike rack on my new T6. I can remove the tow bar but once the tow bar is removed from it's housing and is free from the van I cannot withdraw the key from the tow bar and therefore cannot put the tow bar back in the jack/tool box. I called the dealer I bought the van from and the service manager said you can't remove the key. I dont accept this as the key wasn't in the tow bar before I inserted it for the first time. Is there a special procedure for removing the key? I have read the manual and whilst not specific, implies the key can be removed as it says to insert the key into the tow bar as part of the towbar fitting procedure.

Just been on holiday with factory fit tow bar and mounted bike rack on my new T6. I can remove the tow bar but once the tow bar is removed from it's housing and is free from the van I cannot withdraw the key from the tow bar and therefore cannot put the tow bar back in the jack/tool box. I called the dealer I bought the van from and the service manager said you can't remove the key. I dont accept this as the key wasn't in the tow bar before I inserted it for the first time. Is there a special procedure for removing the key? I have read the manual and whilst not specific, implies the key can be removed as it says to insert the key into the tow bar as part of the towbar fitting procedure.
I just return the Knurled handle to the locked position and remove key.

I had that problem when I first used mine, I had to fiddle with twist handle to release the key. It's not easy or straight forward. We went away for our first night on the weekend as a tester, quite interesting, slept upstairs and woke up with neck ache, but I don't know if that was caused by a shoulder injury I've got. Looking forward to next trip in a couple of weeks.

There is a spring loaded release button halfway up the spigot, looks like a ball bearing, push this in to remove key
When tow bar is fitted the release button is depressed by the housing enabling key to be removed
Hope this makes sence

Last edited:
my key is stuck in when stowed in the box behind the seat and the key is very stall and fits in the box with the key still in it so guess they have made the key smaller ?

my key is stuck in when stowed in the box behind the seat and the key is very stall and fits in the box with the key still in it so guess they have made the key smaller ?

Our van is only a month old, so they should be the same

Hi Taff
my van was built 20th June and the dealer has just fitted the tow bar the new key is round red plastic 1/2" but only 3/16" tall like a 5 p so does not stick up past the hole in the box
was it factory fitted ?
I had so much trouble I ended up with a free tow bar and electrics thanks to help from others on this site

Hi John
Removable Tow bar, factory fitted, picked up van on 10th June
Key has a small orange/red plastic grip

Here you can see a generic picture showing the spring loaded bearing on the spigot that has to be pressed in so that the lock handle can be fully turned to remove the key

Screenshot_2017-07-07-18-17-41.png

Here you can see a generic picture showing the spring loaded bearing on the spigot that has to be pressed in so that the lock handle can be fully turned to remove the key

View attachment 23357
Never had to Press that Bearing to get the key out. Mines covered in grease anyway.
Just turn the wheel to the locked position and it pops in. Turn key and it comes out.

Never had to Press that Bearing to get the key out. Mines covered in grease anyway.
Just turn the wheel to the locked position and it pops in. Turn key and it comes out.
Bearing is probably glued in with greaseo_O

Well I couldn't accept that the key has to stay in. I called Westfalia today and the technical helpdesk was most helpful. The young lady explained that if you press in the lower ball bearing, as Taff suggested, to simulate the bar being inserted the cog rotates and the key can be removed. Or she suggested that when you twist the knob to remove the towbar, only twist it as far as you need to to release the bar. Then when the bar drops out the key can be rotated and be removed.
Tow bar safely tucked away inside its box under tne seat now.