Tow bar mounted ski racks?

Longer

Longer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys and Girls,

Anyone got a tow bar mounted ski/snowboard rack??:thanks

Is that the same as a bike rack and some bungy straps?

Thought so.

Is that the same as a bike rack and some bungy straps?

Thought so.
So you'd strap your bike to a ski rack would you? If you ski once a year I'm sure bodging skis on to a bike rack is fine, but if like me and my family it's a lot more serious (and you care about your skis). It's a different story.
Bit of luck I might some better replies. Cheers.

Have you already got a tow bar bike rack ?
Would you want them to be horizontal or vertical on the rack ?

Not sure about France, but that rack wouldn´t be allowed in Germany.
It would need to be TÜV approved.

Yes I've got a Thule 3 bike rack but can't seem to find any good info for if it's adaptable or not. I've seen this as an option for some of the racks. As for vertical or horizontal, I don't really have a preference, I just want something that can be loaded in seconds and be secure enough for twisty mountain roads. I see a fair few transporters being used as resort transfer buses, they all use vertical. I guess I should flag one down and ask them what they have fitted.

That looks like a good quality unit thanks.

Not very cheap and (discussed somewhere else or on the German Caliboard) salt and road dirt sticks right away to your skis.

Found this picture in the Caliboard:

f2a6117e90bb429207e06b049ef58e8a.jpg

I wouldn’t want my skis getting covered in muck.... we take the part of the second seat that is next to the drawer out and can put skis through from the back.... pretty efficient use of space and keeps them secure

Brilliant. Roof box sticking out nicely at pedestrian head height. Plod May have a thing to say about that.

I wouldn’t want my skis getting covered in muck.... we take the part of the second seat that is next to the drawer out and can put skis through from the back.... pretty efficient use of space and keeps them secure

I have only one snowboard: I cover it with a sleeve (same material as wetsuits are made off) and put it behind the drivers seat. Easy like that when you on your own but with 4 skis/boards...I don‘t know which way I would go...

CE1A35FE-4D21-4E39-9213-550F1FF21D77.jpeg We have a ski carrier permanently bolted to “underside” of bike rack. Typically just carrying one board with the bindings on, but really quick & simple. Keeps the board out of the van so does not get in the way when camping. Been working a treat for couple of years now. It’s a very long & wide board, so would probably work for couple of sets of skis.

Back