Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

tow bar prep option

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
hi does anyone know what you get if you add the tow bar prep to the options. i have been quoted £ 249.00 inc VAT for a new aftermarket tow bar with electrics etc on a T6 Beach without any prep options. Makes you wonder if the VW prep involves and why you would spec it.

That thread has helped concentrate my mind and change my decision on bike rack or towbar rack for carrying my bikes. That and the T6 rack being ugly has tipped the balance. Looks like I shall be going for the removable option as retrofitting is clearly best avoided. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That thread has helped concentrate my mind and change my decision on bike rack or towbar rack for carrying my bikes. That and the T6 rack being ugly has tipped the balance. Looks like I shall be going for the removable option as retrofitting is clearly best avoided. Thanks!

Hi Michael i am in exactly the same boat - i have actually negotiated a free VW bike rack as part of my deal, but am not keen on the new version so having to consider an aftermarket tow bar as my Beach is now in the UK. I have copied an email conversation below which you may find helpful - he is quoting £250 for the basic tow hitch with electrics inc VAT

From me
Can you confirm the fitment will not affect the canbus wiring in the California.
I am only planning to use the tow hitch in combination with a Thule style bike rack - either the hitch mount or the hanging style.
If i were to attach a trailer how would the reversing sensors be affected.
Are there other things i need to know about - thanks

Supplier
The wiring I have quoted for is universal bypass which is all you would need for a cycle carrier or trailer , the reverse sensors will pick up a trailer when you put it in reverse but will not detect the towbar , we can fit a detachable towbar with universal wiring for £375.00 inc .
We can fit a dedicated vehicle specific wiring loom but this is much more expensive and no benefit unless you plan to tow a large caravan

Many thanks

It sounds as if you have a solution but very annoying. As I have not yet ordered I will go for the factory fit removable option. I am however waiting now to see what happens with other options. Keen to get my order in but not in a hurry.

Hi Michael i am in exactly the same boat - i have actually negotiated a free VW bike rack as part of my deal, but am not keen on the new version so having to consider an aftermarket tow bar as my Beach is now in the UK. I have copied an email conversation below which you may find helpful - he is quoting £250 for the basic tow hitch with electrics inc VAT

From me
Can you confirm the fitment will not affect the canbus wiring in the California.
I am only planning to use the tow hitch in combination with a Thule style bike rack - either the hitch mount or the hanging style.

Supplier
The wiring I have quoted for is universal bypass which is all you would need for a cycle carrier or trailer , the reverse sensors will pick up a trailer when you put it in reverse but will not detect the towbar , we can fit a detachable towbar with universal wiring for £375.00 inc .
We can fit a dedicated vehicle specific wiring loom but this is much more expensive and no benefit unless you plan to tow a large caravan

Many thanks
So the reversing sensors are not switched off when you connect a trailer or tow bar bike rack, nor show a picture on the screen of a trailer connected as a warning to the driver. Don't forget to warn any potential buyers when and if you ever sell it on.

I would be wary of that price. We had a removeable bar fitted on a previous Cali by a supplier local to us who is used by VW group locally. Lot of messing about to get the electrics to work OK on the Cali, for some reason it stopped the electric sliding door working. Eventually they tracked it down to a faulty fuse hidden under the starter battery. All worked fine eventually but a lot of faffing about and return visits.
My advice if you are buying new would be get it done by the dealer and then it's their responsibility. No wriggling then if things go wrong later. Might cost a couple of hundred more but peace of mind.

It is vital that you install an electrical system that is compatible with the CanBus system.

Tacking the trailer wiring off the rear light was fine before computers were fitted to vehicles but not now.
The Cali has to know that it is pulling a trailer so that it can also adjust the way the van performs. Only the right wiring will enable this to happen.

Alan

As an additional thought, Westfalia tow bar and wiring is often used by VW dealers as a retro fit. Westfalia know VWs well and their full installation is fully compatible with the CanBus system used on all VW T5.

They have trained suppliers around the country so going direct could be a cheaper option.

I have no connection with Westfalia except that my retro fit fixed swan neck bar is one of theirs. The initial wiring wasn't. All be before my ownership. I just had to deal with the resultant failings of the cheaper wiring.

Alan

Are there downsides for a removable tow bar? Is it weaker/ rated lower weight?

As an additional thought, Westfalia tow bar and wiring is often used by VW dealers as a retro fit. Westfalia know VWs well and their full installation is fully compatible with the CanBus system used on all VW T5.

They have trained suppliers around the country so going direct could be a cheaper option.

I have no connection with Westfalia except that my retro fit fixed swan neck bar is one of theirs. The initial wiring wasn't. All be before my ownership. I just had to deal with the resultant failings of the cheaper wiring.

Alan

I thought the VW bar was the Westfalia one? The Westafalia we had retrofitted on our previous Cali is exactly the same as on our new one which came with the bar on from new.

The problem with removable towbars is corrosion. After a few years it will get difficult to install and remove etc. A regular towbar looks ok on a van to me.

The problem with removable towbars is corrosion. After a few years it will get difficult to install and remove etc. A regular towbar looks ok on a van to me.
Only if you fail to maintain it, as in greasing it on a regular basis. A fixed tow is fine too.

The removable bar on our four and a half year old Yeti is fine. As WG says, grease and remember to put the plastic plug back in the socket when not in use. Probably wouldn't go for a removable again though as I tend to leave them on now anyway to minimise damage to the rear bumper.

So removability is mostly an aesthetics question, right?

And fixed not an option on Ocean according to Nov Price list which can't be right?

I thought the VW bar was the Westfalia one? The Westafalia we had retrofitted on our previous Cali is exactly the same as on our new one which came with the bar on from new.

You could well be right. I have seen other types on T5s, but VW dealers do seem to fit the Westfalia bar.

Alan

With the factory fitted VW tow bar I found that if the van is locked when the tow bar is fitted the alarm goes off if the trailer socket is unplugged, very useful feature.

The removable bar on our four and a half year old Yeti is fine. As WG says, grease and remember to put the plastic plug back in the socket when not in use. Probably wouldn't go for a removable again though as I tend to leave them on now anyway to minimise damage to the rear bumper.

When I tried to order the fixed tow bar listed as an option (2014) I was told by my dealer it was no longer available.

From me

Supplier

Many thanks
are you selling your vw bike rack by any chance? i'm after one but not got buck for new so looking for second hand one....

Back