Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar questions

Now you know were you are going with the wiring. Whoever fits your tow bar, ask if they retain all of the full width sacrificial steel crash bar that sits behind the plastic bumper, or if they bin it. The crash bar can be cut (angle grinder), to accommodate a standard tow bar mounting. If it remains in place it will support you standing on the plastic bumper (with suitable bumper protector), and vehicle rear quarter panels have some added protection from minor 'rear corner' collisions.

Regards,

Rob H.

I'm thinking of fitting a towbar to a 2012 California 140 SE. I have a couple of questions I'd appreciate an answer to:

1. How do I know if my van has got the wiring kit already installed?

2. What effect does a towbar have on the reversing sensor operation?

Thanks in anticipation :?:

I have read comments on the forum posted by Steve at SMG who says that if the California is tow bar ready (ID7) then the wiring is simple and takes about 45 mins and does not require any removal of interior trim etc. I wonder if Steve could advise of the correct wiring harness to buy and where exactly it is connected to.(pictures would be great). I have to believe if its tow bar ready it doesn't involve the wiring that goes under the passenger seat and behind the dash etc. If it connects just behind the lights on the rear passenger side how do I access without moving the cupboards etc. Any help will be gratefully received.

Hi, I've searched the forum looking for some info on fitting tow bar to a 2015 180 SE that is tow bar ready e.g. has ID7 code. I understand how to fit the towbar and read the guidelines on the harness fitting but have I really got to remove the wardrobe cupboard from the left hand side to access the wiring or have VW had he sense to fit the connections on the right hand side??

Thanks

Do you have tow bar prep ?? Unless you do there are no connections. The cable has to be run up to the dash under the steering wheel.

If you buy the kit from PF Jones then you run the cable UNDER the van, no need to remove any of the camping equipment.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/Volkswagen-t5-transporter-oct-2009-on-detachable-towbar.html

If you buy from VW I don't know.
I for sure would NOT be even contemplating anyone taking anything out to fit a tow bar now there is a dedicated wiring loom to go underneath the van.

Now you know were you are going with the wiring. Whoever fits your tow bar, ask if they retain all of the full width sacrificial steel crash bar that sits behind the plastic bumper, or if they bin it. The crash bar can be cut (angle grinder), to accommodate a standard tow bar mounting. If it remains in place it will support you standing on the plastic bumper (with suitable bumper protector), and vehicle rear quarter panels have some added protection from minor 'rear corner' collisions.

Regards,

Rob H.

When I fitted my westfalia detachable tow-bar I was less than pleased to see that the entire original steel bar was removed & 'thrown away'. I agree with you Rob that it would be good to retain the steel protection across the entire rear of the van. However it is not a case of simply cutting the middle out & bolting each end back on as you suggest. The tow-bar mount slides in to the chassis members & is bolted through the outer side covering the original bar mounting brackets. So it would need cutting & each end welding to the tow-bar mount. For me this is a job that has to wait till a day when I am very board !!

Thanks Andy for your thoughts, Maybe I'm hoping for an answer that doesn't exist just to make my own life easy. I understand that my vehicle is tow bar ready and I have checked the code to confirm this(ID7). My expectation, which maybe just a dream, is that towbar ready implies that somewhere near the rear bumper is a connector or two that provide easy connection and minimum routing of cables and certainly doesn't require removal of van furniture.

I have read on the forum comments from some members including Steve at SMG that if its towbar ready then its quick 45minute job to wire up. But the help seems to stop there no information or pictures of where the connectors are or what has to be removed. I don't believe it requires routing cables under the body up to the passenger seat then behind the dash etc (maybe it does).

This seems to be the recommended tow bar:
Volkswagen Caravelle 2003 on Westfalia Detachable towbar

I had though this was the correct harness:
Volkswagen T5 Van 05/2012 on 13 Pin Dedicated Wiring Kit 321652300113
but now I'm not so sure and think it may just be for a T5 Van.

Any help is welcome

If you look on their website in drop down you can select towbar prep electrics. Don't know if that is correct towbar. Ring them they are very helpful & will help you get correct parts.

Yes second link looks like it could be the one. Ring &check though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks again Andy, I have already done that. My question is where are the connections on the van that are provided under towbar prep?

Can't answer that. Mine did not have prep. Need to talk to someone who has delt with one with prep.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Exactly !! I am beginning to doubt that any one has the answer I want to hear despite people saying they have fitted to towbar prep vehicles and how much easier it is.

If you look on the metal base on the drivers seat. You should see a white sticker.

If you are lucky then you will see a code 1D7 somewhere on that sticker. That means that you just have to get a simple loom to install the towbar electrics and it is quite a simple install.

If you are unlucky then you will have a 1D0 somewhere which means you don't have any towbar prep - in which case you have to have a full towbar wiring install carried out which means running wires from rear bumper, under the van, into the van under the passenger seat - under the drivers seat and into the dash.

I have made a post somewhere on here about a DIY install and it is doable for a keen DIYer

Which ever route you go the functionality will be the same.

- The official VW towbar is removable and fits in the tool kit (with the jack)
- When fitted (and towing nothing) the towbar doesn't appear to register on the parking sensors
- When fitted and with the electrics hitches to a trailer then the rear sensors are disabled and when you reverse a picture of a trailer appears on your stereo screen.

Do not be tempted to use cheapo electrics installed with a relay, as the VW electrics also do some stuff to the stability control and ABS.

T
Hi, I have a question to the white sticker and finding out if it is set up to install the wiring loom. I have 3 stickers and none of them have 1D7 or 1D0, one sticker has B03 or something but it is very faint and a green faded stamp, could this be it? (A small white sticker on its own with only one stamp on it?) Any other way of knowing if my van is set up? Thanks in advance.

Thanks again Andy, I have already done that. My question is where are the connections on the van that are provided under towbar prep?
There is another thread on here with the details - the Towbar Prep connections end BEHIND the Mains/Water Tank plate.
The poster said his Dealer got to the connecter by undoing the plate, disconnecting the water filler connection and moving the plate to one side.

I have 3 stickers and none of them have 1D7 or 1D0, .

This is an example of the type of sticker that you are looking for: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?468-VAG-Options-(Data)-Sticker

The 1D7 or 1D0 will be in section 4.

On my Cali it is on the front of the drivers seat base.

Once you find the sticker you can find out what all of the codes mean on sites like this: http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

1D7 = Trailer hitch preparation
1D0 = Without trailer hitch

There will be a code for having a towbar as well, but if you have a towbar you shouldn't need a sticker to tell you :)

Having my Westfalia fitted tomorrow by the Bristol fitting centre... Not the cheapest of option but I have no time or am inclined to do it... I checked all the sensible points here and was completely measured by having the 'OEM' (made by a 3rd party but the genuine item) fitted... Let's see what the service is like.

IMG_2638.JPG

Mid way... Nice guys - and yes Phil know's his stuff...

I would like to fit a westfaliia flanged, 2 bolt type, tow bar to my 2012 140 transporter. I need the flange for a trials bike rack. Vehicle has standard Vw reversing sensors, will the flange type tow bar interfere with these? Any one had any experience with this fitment? Will probably go with westfalia wiring just to make sure it's a 'proper job'.

Brilliant thread. Just for info, the sticker on my 2017 T6 is fitted under the drivers side dash, visible if you look up from the carpets, and not on the seat.