Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar rack or VW rack?

audio2

audio2

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am trying to decide which is the best option, a tow bar rack like a Thule or the VW rack. When I get my Ocean it will have a tow bar fitted, it also has a rear view camera & parking sensors. If I had the VW rack I would probably leave it on all the time. We will only have two bikes. I am interested in comments on ease of use, stability, rear view, security etc.

Can any body also answer whether the rear view camera can be used like a driving mirror when travelling?

i

The bike rack issue seems to come down to personal preferences. There are a lot of links to discussions on the subject. I have a removable ball hitch & put the bike rack onto it when I need it.
The rear view camera only comes on when you are in reverse, so unfortunately can't be used as a rear view camera.

Personal preference but for me the tow bar rack - less height to lift the bikes, doesn’t add anything to the overall height of the van, better visibility to rear, can be used on other vehicles.

Downside is you need a tow bar but you’ve already got that!

It was a no brainer for me. I went for the Atera DL3 tow bar rack. Plus points are it doesn't add height to the van so you can go under 2.00M barriers and Sanef fast lane at tolls in France. You can't with the VW rack. When I book a crossing to France I don't pay a premium for a bike rack, I simply state my vehicle is 6.00M long. The tailgate can still be opened with the Atera. It doesn't make the tailgate so heavy that you can't access the rear with bikes on the rack. The tow bar rack is easily removed when not required which for me is 95% of time. Why carry around a heavy bike rack when you don't need it? The VW rack is unsightly in my opinion. Lastly it makes use of the towbar you forked out for. Downside is rear view camera and parking sensors are disabled when a tow bar connected rack is fitted but to be fair I would be surprised if the parking sensors can detect you are carrying bikes on the VW rack so it would be ineffective with bikes on in any case. The rear view camera only works when reverse is engaged.

VW bike rack if you want less faff to go out on a ride, because it’s always there. It’s easier when parking as it is usually above cars and other low obstacles. On the downside, with bikes it makes van higher and there is more drag hence higher fuel consumption. On the plus side the bikes are more secure if locked as the tea-leafs cannot use a bolt cutter against the ground, and the D-lock or chain can go high so it’s more difficult to cut.

Oh, and you can still tow a folding camper or caravan, or have Thule Easybase on the tow bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was a no brainer for me. I went for the Atera DL3 tow bar rack. Plus points are it doesn't add height to the van so you can go under 2.00M barriers and Sanef fast lane at tolls in France. You can't with the VW rack. When I book a crossing to France I don't pay a premium for a bike rack, I simply state my vehicle is 6.00M long. The tailgate can still be opened with the Atera. It doesn't make the tailgate so heavy that you can't access the rear with bikes on the rack. The tow bar rack is easily removed when not required which for me is 95% of time. Why carry around a heavy bike rack when you don't need it? The VW rack is unsightly in my opinion. Lastly it makes use of the towbar you forked out for. Downside is rear view camera and parking sensors are disabled when a tow bar connected rack is fitted but to be fair I would be surprised if the parking sensors can detect you are carrying bikes on the VW rack so it would be ineffective with bikes on in any case. The rear view camera only works when reverse is engaged.
My reversing camera is not disabled, only the rear parking sensors.

I found this decision really hard! In the end I went for the VW rack on the understanding that it was easy to remove and sell if I didn't like it. Whereas that wouldn't have been the case with the towbar installation. But for you that's not really applicable!

The only problem I have found with the VW rack is accessing the boot mid-journey when it's loaded with bikes.

I reckon in your case, having the towbar fitted, I would I go for the towbar rack.

Also if you're wondering which towbar rack, the Atera DL3 has a really good reputation.

Vw bike rack more convenient always ready to go. Plus you don't need anywhere to store it . Ferries not a issue either book as a 5 metre van plus bikes or 6 metre van whatever is cheapest .

I have the same issue, sort of. I bought an Atera Strada Evo, tow bar mounted rack for the Discovery 5 I bought last March. Well, the Discovery fell apart and went back but the Atera was better built and I still have it. Trouble is, I only have ‘tow bar prep’ on my Cali -is it cheaper to have a tow bar fitted or buy a VW rack and sell the Atera? What I can tell you is the Atera was rock solid when mounted and slid out of the way for the tailgate to open. I was paranoid about the rack moving or falling off the tow ball- no chance, AT ALL. Kinda prefer the idea of the VW rack but didn’t realise it pushed you over the 2m height for toll lanes. Hmm.

I have the same issue, sort of. I bought an Atera Strada Evo, tow bar mounted rack for the Discovery 5 I bought last March. Well, the Discovery fell apart and went back but the Atera was better built and I still have it. Trouble is, I only have ‘tow bar prep’ on my Cali -is it cheaper to have a tow bar fitted or buy a VW rack and sell the Atera? What I can tell you is the Atera was rock solid when mounted and slid out of the way for the tailgate to open. I was paranoid about the rack moving or falling off the tow ball- no chance, AT ALL. Kinda prefer the idea of the VW rack but didn’t realise it pushed you over the 2m height for toll lanes. Hmm.

It will be the bikes that increase the height to over 2 m. The French do not include this when calculating tolls but of course it will prevent access to tunnels/car parks that are restricted to under 2 m.
We use our folding Dahons on the two bike Fiamma rack when long distance touring to give maximum flexibility, the full size bikes are carried for shorter trips.

If you want to make the decision even harder try deciding between Kylie and Quasimodo too :)

If you have towbar prep then fitting the towbar is a 2 hour DIY fit and the towbar plus electrics is cheaper too. As I understand it the electrics would only need to plug into a socket inside the back of the van, rather than requiring a run of a wiring harness to under the passenger seat, plus taking the driver side dashboard apart.

I checked and the towbar and electrics kit would be about £330 from PF Jones for a removable swan-neck. Fitting by a garage would only take about an hour. So all in all it is slightly cheaper to go for the towbar over a new VW rack.

Link to towbar kit https://www.pfjones.co.uk/volkswagen-caravelle-2015-onwards-witter-detachable-tow-bar.html

If you have towbar prep then fitting the towbar is a 2 hour DIY fit and the towbar plus electrics is cheaper too. As I understand it the electrics would only need to plug into a socket inside the back of the van, rather than requiring a run of a wiring harness to under the passenger seat, plus taking the driver side dashboard apart.

I checked and the towbar and electrics kit would be about £330 from PF Jones for a removable swan-neck. Fitting by a garage would only take about an hour. So all in all it is slightly cheaper to go for the towbar over a new VW rack.

Link to towbar kit https://www.pfjones.co.uk/volkswagen-caravelle-2015-onwards-witter-detachable-tow-bar.html

Cheers Rupert - good to know!