Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow Hitch Extender?

S

statgar

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have a Thule EW G2 twin bike carrier fitted to my 2015 T5 lwb with factory fitted Westfalia removable tow hitch. The Thule folds back when fitted allowing a tailgate to be lifted without removing the carrier and bikes. The problem for me is that the Thule is too close to the rear of the van not allowing enough room for the tailgate to pass and open. The solution would be an extended tow bar or an extension on the Thule hitch but I can't find either. I have tried to increase the fold of the Thule by removing the rubber stops but that's not enough, I need about 100 mm extension, any ideas?

I seem to remember there is a retaining strap on the Thule bike rack which can be adjusted to allow the rack to tilt down an inch or so further. Might need another hole drilled possibly.

Have a look through this 2015 thread, @Hels adjusted the tilt retaining wire.

BIKE RACK PROBLEMS​

Alan

or others have used a longer neck off a Nissan Quashqai to good effect as well.

As above: Look on eBay for used “Westfalia detachable” then do a visual comparison as the male spike parts can be slightly different in diameter and some lack the V shaped locators at the spike base. It took me one attempt to get the right one. This one looks ok but check:

When I approached Westfalia about an alternative detachable towball they replied that the specification as to the position of the ball is set by VW in relation to loading on the towbar mounting points on the van chassis.

from that using a non specific towball would invalidate the E compliance plate on the the towbar.

Not saying that you can't (I use an Audi A4 one) but there are implications on using towballs designed for other vehicles.

I seem to remember there is a retaining strap on the Thule bike rack which can be adjusted to allow the rack to tilt down an inch or so further. Might need another hole drilled possibly.

Have a look through this 2015 thread, @Hels adjusted the tilt retaining wire.

BIKE RACK PROBLEMS​

Alan
Thanks, Alan I don't have this retention method on my carrier it just relies on rubber stops which I've removed but still not enough clearance

or others have used a longer neck off a Nissan Quashqai to good effect as well.
Thanks I'll try that just a bit worried about the integrity of another hitch fitting into my socket

As above: Look on eBay for used “Westfalia detachable” then do a visual comparison as the male spike parts can be slightly different in diameter and some lack the V shaped locators at the spike base. It took me one attempt to get the right one. This one looks ok but check:

Thanks so much for your response I'll start hunting for an alternative swan neck just hope they will fit my socket securlely

When I approached Westfalia about an alternative detachable towball they replied that the specification as to the position of the ball is set by VW in relation to loading on the towbar mounting points on the van chassis.

from that using a non specific towball would invalidate the E compliance plate on the the towbar.

Not saying that you can't (I use an Audi A4 one) but there are implications on using towballs designed for other vehicles.
Thanks for your response I would be more concerned if I was towing a trailer even so I guess a fully loaded carrier could be about 100kg, I'll start searching ebay

Back