Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing a motorcycle in an enclosed trailer - a viable plan?

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Problem:
As a lifelong motorcyclist and owner of a BMW touring bike on which the Missus and I have enjoyed numerous trips, we now find ourselves seriously considering a new or newish Cali. We don't want - and are not yet decrepit enough - to need to give up the bike. And, since the main fun of two wheels is the roads and environs at the destination why not take the thing with us? For the non-bikers out there long motorway journeys on a bike, whilst okay for the rider, are utter tedium for the pillion. So, is it daft to consider dragging a trailer for the fun and variety at the other end?

A big additional benefit would be the additional storage afforded by the trailer providing it's an enclosed affair and for the first time, Management's entire shoe collection could come along too! A smaller benefit would be that I would finally have a garden rubbish/firewood trailer laying about at home for when the need arises (provided I acquire the right trailer). Oh, and I would not need that little sign to leave on the campsite that says "keep-offa-ma-pitch" when away in the Cali for the day.

Q1: Has anyone played this particular game before please?
Q2: Who thinks I am bonkers?

I have good friends who towed three motorbikes and three bicycles from sweden to the alps last summer with a transporter. The California is a great vehicle to tow with so I would say it is a great idea.
I have other friends who towed a caravan to spain while transporting the two motorbikes inside a renault bus.
We used to use the autozug from hamburg to get to the alps with the bikes, but that is closed down now.
Driving on highways with any bike is horrible over longer distances, I usually are going faster all the time to keep the boredom away.

We always planned to do the same after many years of motorcycling. In reality, we never once took the motorbike, preferring instead to cycle (with pub stops!) I think it is certainly do-able though!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Problem:
As a lifelong motorcyclist and owner of a BMW touring bike on which the Missus and I have enjoyed numerous trips, we now find ourselves seriously considering a new or newish Cali. We don't want - and are not yet decrepit enough - to need to give up the bike. And, since the main fun of two wheels is the roads and environs at the destination why not take the thing with us? For the non-bikers out there long motorway journeys on a bike, whilst okay for the rider, are utter tedium for the pillion. So, is it daft to consider dragging a trailer for the fun and variety at the other end?

A big additional benefit would be the additional storage afforded by the trailer providing it's an enclosed affair and for the first time, Management's entire shoe collection could come along too! A smaller benefit would be that I would finally have a garden rubbish/firewood trailer laying about at home for when the need arises (provided I acquire the right trailer). Oh, and I would not need that little sign to leave on the campsite that says "keep-offa-ma-pitch" when away in the Cali for the day.

Q1: Has anyone played this particular game before please?
Q2: Who thinks I am bonkers?
That should not be a problem at all. The California makes an excellent tow vehicle.
I would suggest though that if you go down that path that the California you get has a factory fitted or OEM towbar fitted that has been coded to the vehicle . Rather than one that taps into the rear lights wiring and uses relays etc: This would mean that when connected the relevant trailer lights correctly register with the vehicle electronics, sensors switched off and rear braking force correctly set.:thumb

Great idea.

Two downsides I can tell, is the limitation of speed due to the trailer – like driving with a caravan. And the less agile drive i.e. thru small towns and narrow roads, parking houses, etc.

Riding motorcycles for many years as well, I can see the advantage to bring it along. We took the bicycles with us this summer, but riding around in Italy and France is often not that safe. And its very hot and steep, so one really has to want it. Now we are woking on the model with a small 125 ccm scooter on the towing knob. Not to loose the advantages described above – wish in my opinion is some of the absolute major steps over driving with a caravan (or a huge white). And reason for preferring a Cali.

On the continent we run free but in the UK we tow a caravan behind the Cali, absolutely no problem and we have a 140hp. Your bike trailer will be a lot smaller, lower and narrower and you will have to remember the bloody things on the back. Go for it.

That should not be a problem at all. The California makes an excellent tow vehicle.
I would suggest though that if you go down that path that the California you get has a factory fitted or OEM towbar fitted that has been coded to the vehicle . Rather than one that taps into the rear lights wiring and uses relays etc: This would mean that when connected the relevant trailer lights correctly register with the vehicle electronics, sensors switched off and rear braking force correctly set.:thumb
Naturally. Agreed. So far the only neat trailer I can see available is in the USA. I have emailed BMW and Ifor Williams - no replies yet.

I recommends 4motion for towing. I tow caravan 1500kg 8 years. With T5. Best vehicle for towing. And there is really difference towing with 2WD versus 4WD. And be sure you have original towbar with special software enhancements for driving assistance with trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naturally. Agreed. So far the only neat trailer I can see available is in the USA. I have emailed BMW and Ifor Williams - no replies yet.
Yes Ifor Williams do them, we (i.e. my company) bought one a few years back and I specified a drop down ramp thinking I could put the bike in together with Mrs shoe supply. But we never got round to using it (yet) and the Cali is always full of shoes. Most use the trailer gets is when people borrow it o_O

Budget about £3500 iirc. There are other solutions if you don't mind an open trailer, including one with a sort of castor wheels.

You haven't said where you will be towing but just be aware of the much lower speed limits in France - tow anything behind a cali & you will be towing with a gross train weight over 3.5tnne so restricted to 56mph on the motorways.

You haven't said where you will be towing but just be aware of the much lower speed limits in France - tow anything behind a cali & you will be towing with a gross train weight over 3.5tnne so restricted to 56mph on the motorways.
Eek. Top tip. Thanks.

Google box trailers. There's loads around.
One on eBay I've been watching looks ok at £400 currently.
Thanks. What you search for is and art form, one I am not too good at: I used 'enclosed motorcycle trailers'
- didn't know they are referred to as 'Box'. Ta.

Back