Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tpms

Scorps

Scorps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Can anyone answer me, has the wheels got the tyre pressure monitoring system fitted to the valves please.
I want to change the wheels, and as I'm waiting for mine to turn up I'm unable to check. I know it's either going to be or already part of the mot test.
Thanks

The crystal balls not working tonight so I'll have to guess the vehicle?

I'm going to say no. Your TPMS uses ABS wheel speed sensors to calculate pressure loss via wheel speed delta.

Any wiser?

Can anyone answer me, has the wheels got the tyre pressure monitoring system fitted to the valves please.
I want to change the wheels, and as I'm waiting for mine to turn up I'm unable to check. I know it's either going to be or already part of the mot test.
Thanks
As @sidepod has said, the California system depends on the ASB sensors confirming the wheel circumferences as set when the system is calibrated. There is nothing on the wheel or within the tyre.
Just recalibrate the system when your new wheels are fitted and tyres at the correct pressure.

No sensors fitted. I worried about that when I swapped wheels. You just have to set/reset the system to say you have adjusted the pressures.
On my new Ocean it was a bit confusing as I read the Handbook (more than once) and looked for the reset button in the glove box, just a blank. Then got sorted out as its on the multifunction steering wheel using the mode function buttons and dash menu.

As Sidepod says it then uses the ABS sensor system to keep a check, no actual air pressure sensing.

Thanks for all your answers, I was just concerned that there were sensors fitted to the wheel or valves. I had this problem with a couple of bmw's I changed the wheels on, which had the valve sensors fitted.

Thanks for all your answers, I was just concerned that there were sensors fitted to the wheel or valves. I had this problem with a couple of bmw's I changed the wheels on, which had the valve sensors fitted.
I think that due to BMW's using 'Run flat' tyres the stiff sidewalls wouldn't show tyre air pressure loss on an ABS based system. Such as VW's method.

Obviously something to consider if tempted to fit Run-flats on 18" wheels to get round not having a spare.

I think that due to BMW's using 'Run flat' tyres the stiff sidewalls wouldn't show tyre air pressure loss on an ABS based system. Such as VW's method.

Obviously something to consider if tempted to fit Run-flats on 18" wheels to get round not having a spare.
I think your right there, but I won't be putting run flats on the vw as its to hard a ride.

I think your right there, but I won't be putting run flats on the vw as its to hard a ride.
Yes, noticed the difference as soon as I set off in the Cali. Was running a BMW with runflats prior to that.

BMW have the same ABS system and it works with run flats.

Bmw had the same system, now its valve based. I noticed a puncture on my runflats on my 5-series with this abs sensor system.

I've found that you don't actually have to reset it when altering the tyre pressures. I've just changed our wheels back to summer ones and forgot to reset it and it hasn't had a paddy. It doesn't measure the pressure but rather if there is any difference in the rolling radius between the wheels. If the pressures are all the same regardless of what they are then it seems to work ok.

Back