Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trailer tent or Camp-Let anyone?

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
It might sound like an odd question given that the Cali does have a bed and kitchen etc etc....

But, does anyone also use a small trailer tent or even a Camp-Let as well when camping with other people? More space, sitting area for meals etc etc?

I ask because I have 14yr old boy/girl twins. My son and I kip in the Cali (bed each) and my daughter sleeps in a pup tent adjacent to the van. She flatly refuses to share a bed with either me or her brother which is completely understandable :D, and apart from anything that way we all get a bit of privacy and space.

Works perfectly, in the summer. Hence my dilemma, as this setup restricts us doing any overnight camping between October and March as its too bloody cold for her to be in a tent!

I love the Granny Jen solution of an Eriba, which is a distinct possibility, however I would prefer a new-ish one so I’m looking at around £8-£10k which will be beyond my budget.

I’ve looked at trailer tents and also Camp-Lets, which look fab, not least because I can store it sideways at home and it looks ridiculously easy to put up and take back down! However, both these options are semi-canvas so might still present an issue regarding warmth over winter.

Anyone else who has the same issue that can offer some words of wisdom please?

TIA :thumb

Can't you share a bed with your son and she has her own bed - simple?!

Can't you share a bed with your son and she has her own bed - simple?!

No, he's a fidget-bum with smelly feet :Depressed:D

Also, he has autism so is very particular about his ‘space’ etc, so anyone sharing a bed with him is off limits to be honest. He always sleeps upstairs, with me downstairs. The two of us take ourselves off in the van quite a lot, it's definitely his ‘safe-space’ whether we’re simply having a day out or a weekend away.

I’m just looking at more useable solutions for the three of us on overnight trips.

Ahh... :)

No easy solution - we only camp in the summer and then Dordogne or further south is the rule! We're similar, my son goes in a tent and enjoys his own space.

Everything is a compromise as ever with camping/campers/caravans - we've had a trailer tent but hate towing - still a faff to put up etc - and it was blooming cold.

Having had both I would suggest forgetting about trailer tents unless you want to spend ages putting one up. There is a difference between a trailer tent and a folding camper, the latter of which are generally easier, but bigger and heavier, and still a pain IMO, particularly compared with the ease of a Cali. I have also owned a Camp-Let in the past, and found that to be the easiest and quickest of all the trailer based options in terms of setting up, aside from a caravan perhaps. The Camp-Let would get my vote but they are not really any warmer than a tent TBH, unless you have a heater, which you can also have in a tent. I would have thought a reasonably compact tent with it's own power supply for heating and light would be your quickest and easiest solution. A decent sleeping bag and camping bed (to get further away from the ground) should also help.

I had a Conway trailer tent back in the day, and without the awning it literally took 5 minutes to put up, I certainly think they are very easy if you get the basic ones. The beds were off the ground which made them warmer and comfy with a proper mattress. In fact probably a lot roomier than a Cali bed.

Mine had an awning which did take a while to set up but if you didnt need that it was very quick and easy.

You can get one for less than £500 second hand and easy to tow.

View attachment 29400
What about a Teardrop trailer?

Gorgeous! If I had one of those my Daughter would hibernate in it and we’d never see her :) !!

Now though you’ve just added to my confusion as I hadn’t thought about one of those....!!

Thanks for the replies and advice so far everyone :thumb. All forms of camping are a compromise, and everyone's situation is different. It's great learning about all your experiences.

As a family we’ve been camping since the kids were literally weeks old, and have had the lot, from caravans, tents, trailer tents, and of course, numerous VW campers!

BUT....What I absolutely love about the Cali is the ‘get in and go’ aspect. I've shied away from a drive-away awning as I can't be bothered with the faff of putting it up, lining it up (been there, done that) and fretting about the paintwork on the van where it rubs. Keep it as simple as possible, that's my motto.

So, a trailer tent is off the list then, Camp-Let still an option, and now a teardrop trailer too!

Altho..... a Camp-Let would give us all some living space during the day which would be a bonus.

Keep the suggestions coming peeps!

As Matt says definitely try a secondhand one before you plunge in - we picked up the Raclet Minto for £500 odd and sold it after trying it once.

It was worth it though - just to see to look on the warden's face :rage when we arrived on the CC site towing it behind our military Landy! :D

mi22.JPG

mi6.JPG

Biggest problem that I found with a trailer tent was the weather. If it is wet when packing up then you need space and dry weather to get it dried out for storage, not always that easily done.

Dandy trailer tents got over that problem with PVC material but they have grown in size with time. Never had one so no personal info. on use. The PVC was also insulating grade.
They were (are?) regarded as caravans by the caravan club giving access to their sites.

https://www.rivadandysales.co.uk/category/campers-for-sale/

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
We had a trailer tent prior to van life - you can pick them up £500 or lower as mentioned here - mine was £200 and I gave it to a friend for a bottle of wine, very good it was too (the tent not the wine)

As Matt says definitely try a secondhand one before you plunge in - we picked up the Raclet Minto for £500 odd and sold it after trying it once.

It was worth it though - just to see to look on the warden's face :rage when we arrived on the CC site towing it behind our military Landy! :D

View attachment 29401

View attachment 29402

View attachment 29401

View attachment 29402
Another Landy owner
Amazing how many California owners also own or have owned landys

What we really need is for Nick to graft a California manual pop top onto a trailer tent base. Perfect!!

Not sure how much camping the three of you are doing between October and March but you could leave the money in the bank and instead use campsites with an onsite pod etc for your daughter? They usually have power/heating etc and would be cheapish offpeak. No need to store a trailer or teardrop caravan then.

We are thinking of selling our old T25s and V my fiance is thinking a little caravan or trailer tent would be a good alternative for her.

We are thinking of selling our old T25s and V my fiance is thinking a little caravan or trailer tent would be a good alternative for her.

It's okay you can sleep together after you're married. In fact most religions positively encourage it.

;)

Back