Transcool - 12V evaporative cooler

hirsty

hirsty

Two Seat Beach DSG
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I know everyone is currently breaking their VW heaters this week, but here's a potential cooler packed with Aussie tech for the summer hols:

http://transcoolgb.com

transcool.png

Appears to blow cool air around & comes direct from Hull for a mere £349. 12V cigar lighter plug attached (high-mode draw is 21A which is just past the 20A warning sticker on my socket ;))

There is another one on the market through kickstarter that looks very interesting (and maybe slightly ridiculous), a proper air con with battery pack and BT speaker built in.

Zero breeze is the name I think. Would be good for our pooches though in very hot weather.

Updated:
http://www.zero-breeze.com

Both ingenious, but not the same use-case - I like the Transcool as it appears to be on the same lines as the Cali heater & could be left running overnight off the leisure battery. Proper aircon seemingly too power intensive for off-mains usage, though clearly better.

I'm hoping someone will tell us whether this one is any good or not, or proactively take the plunge ;) ...

I had an evaporative cooler in my house for a while, it made a small difference if you were sat in front of it. It was basically a cloth loop that rotated into and out of water and a fan then evaporated the water from that cloth. Bizarrely it had frozen blocks you were supposed to put in the water but in my brain that just lowers the water temp making it less likely to evaporate?

You can make your own with a fan and some wet fabric.

Some people have done just that :)

We bought one for my husband's parents, who live in a teeny bungalow which gets too hot in the summer, and they've both had surgeries recently and get hot and bothered then have heart palpitations and panic attacks - the works! It's absolutely fab. Blows out lovely cool air, and is virtually silent. The sales lady said that if you were to run it 24/7 it would cost £9 in electricity for a whole year, so is very low power use. It's quite a lot of money, but if you need one you need one, and it has made the ancients very happy :)

That rang a bell @Verity - thanks very much. I don't *need* one, but I'm curious and that often is enough :D

We bought one for my husband's parents, who live in a teeny bungalow which gets too hot in the summer, and they've both had surgeries recently and get hot and bothered then have heart palpitations and panic attacks - the works! It's absolutely fab. Blows out lovely cool air, and is virtually silent. The sales lady said that if you were to run it 24/7 it would cost £9 in electricity for a whole year, so is very low power use. It's quite a lot of money, but if you need one you need one, and it has made the ancients very happy :)
Which one did you get Verity.?

Mke

I know everyone is currently breaking their VW heaters this week, but here's a potential cooler packed with Aussie tech for the summer hols:

http://transcoolgb.com

transcool.png

Appears to blow cool air around & comes direct from Hull for a mere £349. 12V cigar lighter plug attached (high-mode draw is 21A which is just past the 20A warning sticker on my socket ;))

Seen these on sale at the motor home show in Harrogate they were either 299 or 249. See if you can get to a show and pick one up.

Interesting. Can that Transcool really work? If you left it on overnight locked in, where does the heat go? It would need to vent outside to lower the overall temperature wouldnt it? It might cause a damp draught though?

@hirsty ,
I simply did this...there is even other topic witch contains the word transcool
See below
IMG_1132.PNG

Re-reading that thread it suggests that it is most effective in dry climates meaning the humid UK climate will reduce its effectiveness. I guess there is a reason these are sold in Aus.

I did see this on amazon, far cheaper probably as terrible as the many revews but who knows. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LH2PL5Y/?tag=eliteelect-21

I still use a USB fan from Wilkinson's in the van for the dogs when travelling.

Reactions: wyn
I don't anticipate ever having a problem in UK (as a Yorkshireman who likes the Highlands ...) but it was crazy hot (dry) in Provence last August & I'm sure those on more extended travels than I may be more in need.

Someone will pop up with one soon enough & report in, assuming their search skills are up to scratch ... :thumb

Hmmm - tried a search on Transcool but got no hits. At least we now know Verity has bought one & it works. I might push the button if we're going somewhere really hot, but we tend to avoid going into crazy temps.
Honestly I wouldn't recommend if it wasn't brilliant. We paid £299 at motorhome show which I thought was a lot but the relief it has brought to my parents in law makes it worth every penny. I would happily use in the van. It works great on 12v and is really quiet. If we were going somewhere properly hot I would get one for us as I have MS and if I get too hot I tend to get spasticity so keeping cool is important.

Hi Verity
Re the Transcool bit of kit which I am contemplating ordering. Not sure from your yesterday reply, I understand your parents in law love it but have you yourself used it in the California? Second question is, assuming you use it in the Cali, where do you place it when in use? Am thinking it could be put on top of the kitchen glass pointing at the rear bed for maximum benefit or is it better placed on the floor between the two front seats? Yes you can be to hot!

Hi Verity
Re the Transcool bit of kit which I am contemplating ordering. Not sure from your yesterday reply, I understand your parents in law love it but have you yourself used it in the California? Second question is, assuming you use it in the Cali, where do you place it when in use? Am thinking it could be put on top of the kitchen glass pointing at the rear bed for maximum benefit or is it better placed on the floor between the two front seats? Yes you can be to hot!
You're right - we haven't used it in our Cali. We ran it in our home for a couple of days on 12v and mains power when we bought it just to check it was all working ok. It really made a difference to the room temperature, and if you sat near it it was like sitting in front of the ac in the car. If we used it in the van it would either be on the worktop if we were sleeping downstairs or I could also imagine sitting it somehow on the semi closed roof hatch at night if we were sleeping up top. It's pretty quiet and wouldn't keep anyone awake. Why not find a show somewhere near you where they are selling them and have a look? You'll get a better price at a show too.

You're right - we haven't used it in our Cali. We ran it in our home for a couple of days on 12v and mains power when we bought it just to check it was all working ok. It really made a difference to the room temperature, and if you sat near it it was like sitting in front of the ac in the car. If we used it in the van it would either be on the worktop if we were sleeping downstairs or I could also imagine sitting it somehow on the semi closed roof hatch at night if we were sleeping up top. It's pretty quiet and wouldn't keep anyone awake. Why not find a show somewhere near you where they are selling them and have a look? You'll get a better price at a show too.
Selling them at a stand at Bristol Harbour Festival for £299. I didn't get one. Just past the Lloyds building if your going anti-clockwise.

Mike

Back