Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transparent wind-out awnings - why don't they exist?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I love our awning, but when wound out fully it can make the van noticeably darker on overcast days. Why doesn't anyone make a transparent awning, so that there's no reduction in light? Or, more realistically, just a couple of clear 'skylight' panels set into the main opaque awning? Is it a lack of suitable materials, or ability to join them robustly? Or the fact that our continental counterparts in sunnier climes want the awning primarily for shade rather than rain protection? I guess having Thule and Fiamma dominating the market means that there isn't a particularly fertile environment for innovation, either.

Awnings are mainly used as sun shades, transparent material would defeat the design function. The market for a transparent one wouldn't justify the production costs.

Option would be to use a sun sail attached to the either the awning edge or side moulding. These come in various materials densities or have a bespoke one made.

Just an opinion, but I would probably go down the line of awnings as well as offering inclement weather protection, offer shade from the sun. Cant really see where the demand would be for a transparent awning

Back