Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transporting bikes

blondebier

blondebier

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We've just ordered a new T6 beach.

It's all very exciting and to pass the time we're now looking at accessories. Deciding on factory fit options was a drag enough, but accessories look like even more of a nightmare. So many to choose from and so many after market places to get them.

Here's my first quandry... bikes.

As I see it you have 3 options :

1) VW Bike rack on the tail gate.

Pros - I quite like the look of these. Might be able to source a second hand one on eBay?
Cons - Rear visibility? (Presumably you can't see much out of the rear window with 4 mountain bikes fitted?) Seem expensive for what they are if bought new.

2) Roof bars with roof mounted bike carrier

Pros - No visibility issues. They're up out of the way.
Cons - Difficult to get them up there.

3) Tow bar bike carrier

Pros - Easy fitting.
Cons - Expensive. Need another number plate. Can't tow a trailer at the same time. Parking issues?

In essence I'm after a recommendation. If you were doing this - what would your preferred option be and why?

Cheers,
Blondebier

I use the VW one and have never had a problem with visabity. There are two Huge wing mirrors so that's not an issue. It stays stored when not being used and can be used when camping for many other things.

If you are going to put a rack on only as and when required, the Fiamma one has the same functionality as the VW but at about 1/3 of the cost.
Aesthetically the VW is better but if its hidden by bikes etc you wont see it.

The tow bar mounted racks are far easier to load, and probably more importantly keep you under 2m in height. On the rear door mounted rack you end up with the bikes higher than the van roof.

Tow bar rack can also be used on other vehicles.

I have a thule easybase with the optional bike holders & a fiamma rear door rack, I use both at the same time occasionally & can put a thule back box on either as required.

By leaving the protective Helicopter tape on the van all the time I can put on & take off the rear door rack almost as quickly as the towbar mounted one. Bikes are quicker to mount on the lower rack & I dont need to find something to stand on.

1. Are Hight restrictions a concern? Over 2m definitely restricts where you can park.

2. Never had a problem with the Towbar carrier. A rolls Royce Phantom is longer than a California with towbar rack.:thumb

Lots of other threads on this topic. I've used roof mounted carriers on cars in the past and personally I would steer clear unless as a last resort. Would make you very tall - don't think I've ever seen a Cali/Conversion with bikes on the roof!
If you have a towbar, then personally I prefer the towbar mounted solution. My cali came with a towbar so made it an easy choice. Not sure I would have bought a tow bar just to use with a bike rack though and in that case would have gone for the VW rack

I favour a towbar rack - Atera Stada DL3
1) I can open the tailgate with it loaded with no issues, handy for quick stops for a cuppa and you need to turn gas on/off
2) Security - easier for me to secure the bikes to that rack and to the vehicle than the VW rack
3) Height isn't compromised and length is neither here nor there as it fits into most places.
However, ymmv.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear what other people think.

Certainly food for thought. Cheers.

We have a VW one which stays on which we got with the van. We use that only occasionally now as we got a tow bar one - altera strada which is brilliant for heavier bikes (ebikes -l ess of a lift) and for getting in and out of the tailgate when touring.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We have a VW one which stays on which we got with the van. We use that only occasionally now as we got a tow bar one - altera strada which is brilliant for heavier bikes (ebikes -l ess of a lift) and for getting in and out of the tailgate when touring.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I guess I'd never thought of this. You can't open the tail gate when the bikes are on...

Sounds obvious but I'd never really thought about it until now.

I've been looking through the photo galleries trying to find a picture of one of the VW racks fully laden.

Has anyone got a snap with 4 bikes on it?

And be very careful attempting to open the rear door when loaded with bikes if you happen to have the roof up!
Especially if you have a bike on the innermost slot.

the first bike I always turn the handle bars flat with the frame outwards. Just in case there's any risk of hitting the roof.

On a few cars over the years and used several racks...Thule, Atera etc. now use the VW rack on the Van. It's the best of the lot and absolutely fantastic. The simple design is much easier to use than many...especially the clamping arms. But the biggest benefit is that it's always there ready to go...and of course doesn't need storage at the other end. Rear visibility is no problem with the wing mirrors...and avoiding car parks or French toll booths with 2m height barriers hasn't bothered me at all. Incidentally...with the rear bed rack out, the Cal will take 3-4 bikes standing inside with the seat rolled right forward. It is also possible to travel with a bike inside (rear wheel between the front seats) and strapped to the front seat arms. Just a great bike mover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW rack for us....best rack we have ever had, simple and effective....and looks the part but others (as has been debated at length it seems) prefer other alternatives.....personal choice :)

Personal choice for me (short person and quite heavy bikes):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442602177.554252.jpg

Okay it only takes up to 2 DH bikes, however more is not needed at the moment and there are other models ln the market with a sliding function so getting to the booth is no problem.

The sea sucker probably won't work on a Cali as the roof is ribbed for strength and the amount of smooth roof is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're keen cyclists and used to stick ours in the van; no way £3k of MTB is going on the back of a van.

I notice a huge amount of T5s with bike racks that appear to get no use.

For the car; they go in it or on roof carriers (lockable).

Blimey.... my XL 29ers would never fit.

We've just ordered a new T6 beach.

It's all very exciting and to pass the time we're now looking at accessories. Deciding on factory fit options was a drag enough, but accessories look like even more of a nightmare. So many to choose from and so many after market places to get them.

Here's my first quandry... bikes.

As I see it you have 3 options :

1) VW Bike rack on the tail gate.

Pros - I quite like the look of these. Might be able to source a second hand one on eBay?
Cons - Rear visibility? (Presumably you can't see much out of the rear window with 4 mountain bikes fitted?) Seem expensive for what they are if bought new.

2) Roof bars with roof mounted bike carrier

Pros - No visibility issues. They're up out of the way.
Cons - Difficult to get them up there.

3) Tow bar bike carrier

Pros - Easy fitting.
Cons - Expensive. Need another number plate. Can't tow a trailer at the same time. Parking issues?

In essence I'm after a recommendation. If you were doing this - what would your preferred option be and why?

Cheers,
Blondebier
We have the VW carrier and really like it. One thing though, if one is a 5'3 female lifting will not be easy. Not impossible, but not easy. I need a 2-step stool. Trailer easier but add £££ on for towbar and it's just that much longer.