Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel through Wales

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Has anyone recently had to travel through Wales from England to get to the ferry port on Anglesey?

My son is looking to book a ferry ticket for 1st July so he can go to his partners home in Galway which means travel for about an hour and half through Wales. Ferries are accepting the booking but said check with Wales. Ireland by then will be ok for travel and campsites opening.

Don't really want him to be stopped by police after 5 hours travelling

Has anyone recently had to travel through Wales from England to get to the ferry port on Anglesey?

My son is looking to book a ferry ticket for 1st July so he can go to his partners home in Galway which means travel for about an hour and half through Wales. Ferries are accepting the booking but said check with Wales. Ireland by then will be ok for travel and campsites opening.

Don't really want him to be stopped by police after 5 hours travelling
Any change to the Local/5 mile rule will be announced on the 18th June. North Wales Police are known for following the Welsh Assembly advice to the letter, especially as access to Anglesey is easily controlled.

So he's best to wait till 18th - Thursday before booking the ferry ticket and if they allow travel anywhere he should be ok?

So he's best to wait till 18th - Thursday before booking the ferry ticket and if they allow travel anywhere he should be ok?
Who knows what the Regional Council Leader, sorry Devolved Government Leader will announce. But, yes wait for the 18th.

Thank you
I presume the Holyhead trains are still running?
If that is the case then if he is in possession of a valid Ferry ticket he should be able to drive directly to the Port.
Maybe check with the North Wales Police?

It’s all a little up in the air atm. Awaiting an announcement this Friday from our FM, but he’s not making particularly positive noises leading up to the review. From what I’ve read North Wales and Dyfed-Powys Police have been particularly pro-active. It seems odd that I cannot go further than 5 miles but someone else can travel 200+ miles past my house, stopping in the village to buy supplies!

Thank you - v useful and I have just done a Live Chat with North Wales police. They said although they were not an officer they thought as long as a valid ferry ticket was shown there shouldn't be a problem but cannot guarantee it, I suppose the ticket would show not staying in Wales

It’s all a little up in the air atm. Awaiting an announcement this Friday from our FM, but he’s not making particularly positive noises leading up to the review. From what I’ve read North Wales and Dyfed-Powys Police have been particularly pro-active. It seems odd that I cannot go further than 5 miles but someone else can travel 200+ miles past my house, stopping in the village to buy supplies!
Yes it does seem odd but I know after leaving here in Norwich he will probably stop once for a pee and carry on driving non stop to Holyhead!!! Bit like me being pleaded to stop by my wife - I always simply want to get there. He's not going to camp but staying for 2 weeks at her home in Galway while they sort out new jobs possibly in Dublin and then go for a tour along the West Atlantic Way - my camper will be gone for about 3 - 4 months!!

Not quite the scenario you describe (almost the reverse in fact) but the Welsh government website has this FAQ regarding its current regulations and guidance. If your son's journey to Ireland is "reasonable", which probably depends heavily on the rules in Ireland, then it's hard to see how 'drop-off' should be regarded as different to 'pick-up'.
https://gov.wales/coronavirus-regulations-guidance#section-39239
Can I travel to ports/airports/railway stations outside my local area to pick up a member of my household or family who is returning to Wales to live with my household?
Sharing private cars is best avoided where possible, and the person you are collecting should consider whether they really need to travel. However, if the journey they made was reasonable, it is reasonable to collect them. If you do share a car, please follow this guidance on travelling safely.

The person you collect will also be required to self-isolate if they are travelling to Wales from outside of the UK. They must follow the guidance on how to self-isolate. This guidance applies both to people arriving directly in Wales and for those arriving elsewhere in the UK and then travelling on to Wales.

Not quite the scenario you describe (almost the reverse in fact) but the Welsh government website has this FAQ regarding its current regulations and guidance. If your son's journey to Ireland is "reasonable", which probably depends heavily on the rules in Ireland, then it's hard to see how 'drop-off' should be regarded as different to 'pick-up'.
https://gov.wales/coronavirus-regulations-guidance#section-39239
Can I travel to ports/airports/railway stations outside my local area to pick up a member of my household or family who is returning to Wales to live with my household?
Sharing private cars is best avoided where possible, and the person you are collecting should consider whether they really need to travel. However, if the journey they made was reasonable, it is reasonable to collect them. If you do share a car, please follow this guidance on travelling safely.

The person you collect will also be required to self-isolate if they are travelling to Wales from outside of the UK. They must follow the guidance on how to self-isolate. This guidance applies both to people arriving directly in Wales and for those arriving elsewhere in the UK and then travelling on to Wales.
Ah, I misread your initial post but I now see that he's driving himself. Even so, it seems likely that the journey would count as reasonable.

Yes I read that and it's not the same. Even the North Wales police said that's not the same. They seemed ok about it should be ok as he'll have an expensive ferry ticket already pre-booked - cheapest he's found is still just under £200 for one way! Even police said wait till 18th and see what they say but otherwise all depends on police on entering Anglesey.

I live in Carmarthenshire and the furthest we can travel is 5 miles..So unless you get him to change his name to Dominic Cummings and he is visiting specsavers for an eye test I would get him to contact the authorities first.
I have already spoken to the North Wales police as the route is through their area and they've said there shouldn't really be an issue as he'll have a pre-paid ferry ticket costing £200 or more so shows he has intent not to stay in Wales. He'll also have a form showing he will be self-isolating at an address in Galway which he wouldn't have if staying in Wales. I all respects it will be as if they'll treat him as a goods vehicle/delivery vehicle but the police said wait till Thursday when Wales Gov look at next phase............................. as said between England and Holyhead he won't be stopping......................

I have already spoken to the North Wales police as the route is through their area and they've said there shouldn't really be an issue as he'll have a pre-paid ferry ticket costing £200 or more so shows he has intent not to stay in Wales. He'll also have a form showing he will be self-isolating at an address in Galway which he wouldn't have if staying in Wales. I all respects it will be as if they'll treat him as a goods vehicle/delivery vehicle but the police said wait till Thursday when Wales Gov look at next phase............................. as said between England and Holyhead he won't be stopping......................
A55
straight to Holyhead he wont even see pete roberts.

Back