Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling to France November 2021

T

The Magoos

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Has anyone travelled to France in recent weeks and if so can you update us on actual requirements for proof of accommodation? We are hoping to ’wild’ camp for a few nights in France soon, but it is not clear whether this is possible. There was speculation in May that an actual accommodation booking was going to be needed, but nothing about this on uk gov website. Anyone been recently?

I've been to France a couple of times in the last month + a 3rd trip entering via Netherlands.

Have not had to provide formal proof of booking accommodation.

Don't think i was asked even, although in general they are getting pickier (e.g. they asked how long I was staying, what was my purpose).

I've been to France a couple of times in the last month + a 3rd trip entering via Netherlands.

Have not had to provide formal proof of booking accommodation.

Don't think i was asked even, although in general they are getting pickier (e.g. they asked how long I was staying, what was my purpose).

Has anyone travelled to France in recent weeks and if so can you update us on actual requirements for proof of accommodation? We are hoping to ’wild’ camp for a few nights in France soon, but it is not clear whether this is possible. There was speculation in May that an actual accommodation booking was going to be needed, but nothing about this on uk gov website. Anyone been recently?
We also came through Calais last month and were not asked for accommodation details or purpose of travelling to France.

Came back three weeks ago / not asked for any details on accommodation going
Just put the town we stayed in for the destination we visited on the return forms for the tunnel

Further to my previous reply, I would add that you definately need a rear UK sticker, NOT a GB one. Currently in Portugal the GNR police are pulling over brit cars and fining the drivers for not displaying the correct sticker. As the french are less "friendier" than the portuguese the fines are likelier to be bigger.

Further to my previous reply, I would add that you definately need a rear UK sticker, NOT a GB one. Currently in Portugal the GNR police are pulling over brit cars and fining the drivers for not displaying the correct sticker. As the french are less "friendier" than the portuguese the fines are likelier to be bigger.
I find that surprising. Haven’t yet seen a single British car with a UK sticker here on the north coast of Spain, is there any account of someone being fined for this?

Another point -- I went to Netherlands alone with my two children last week.
The border controls asked for proof that I had authorisation from their mother to travel with them. Never had this before (France, Italy, my first time in Netherlands).

Thankfully the day before I saw on a website that this may happen so had the necessary paperwork. Not sure what would have happened without it. The children have the same last name as me.

The Dutch border police were polite and respectful but they were thorough with the checks.

Don't recall any question on that back in late Sept. Portsmouth-Caen

Aside issue---I had a Gov notification that your Covid Jab Certificate must be dated after 1st November.
I haven't looked into the reason but always do it as late as possible as was/is only valid for a Month.

I find that surprising. Haven’t yet seen a single British car with a UK sticker here on the north coast of Spain, is there any account of someone being fined for this?

Hi Bob
We are in the Algarve and I can only say what I have seen in the Lagoa area. GNR regulary carry out road checks on the N125. When they stop UK vehicles they now check the back of the vehicles. I have recently spoke with two families who were both fined 50€ for not having a UK badge.

A more pressing issue is the prevention of coastal wild camping, we watch the police patrol the known parking places on the cliff tops at dusk and move the campers on. I have been told campers have been fined for parking but this has not been substantiated.

Another point -- I went to Netherlands alone with my two children last week.
The border controls asked for proof that I had authorisation from their mother to travel with them. Never had this before (France, Italy, my first time in Netherlands).

Thankfully the day before I saw on a website that this may happen so had the necessary paperwork. Not sure what would have happened without it. The children have the same last name as me.

The Dutch border police were polite and respectful but they were thorough with the checks.

This is the website with link to the form.

Both parents to sign in the appropriate places. Plus photocopy of passports, marriage certificates, birth certificates etc.

Hi Bob
We are in the Algarve and I can only say what I have seen in the Lagoa area. GNR regulary carry out road checks on the N125. When they stop UK vehicles they now check the back of the vehicles. I have recently spoke with two families who were both fined 50€ for not having a UK badge.

A more pressing issue is the prevention of coastal wild camping, we watch the police patrol the known parking places on the cliff tops at dusk and move the campers on. I have been told campers have been fined for parking but this has not been substantiated.
Ah ok, I think the police in the more touristy places are a bit more on the ball.
Re. camping, I don’t know the rules in PT but they can’t move you on in ESP for sleeping in the van. As long as nothing “protrudes” from the perimeter of your vehicle (awning, step, even a swing-open window) you’re not actually camping. That’s not to say the police won’t try it on anyway!

Went to France 3 weeks ago, not even asked where in France we were going - all very simple and easy.

Enjoy your trip (try not to mention fishing or submarines!)

Isnt this just so ridiculously petty.

Recently returned from a couple of months in France. Crossed early September from Newhaven to Dieppe and apart from passports and Covid vaccination certification, customs check in France was very straightforward.
We had our ‘Sworn Understanding’ statement, for entry from an amber list country filled out, with the name and address of a campsite on the Mediterranean we knew we would eventually visit, but no accommodation booking. The ‘douanier’ did not ask to see that, I assume that is still a listed requirement, but entry was very simple indeed.
This predated the UK plate requirement, although a few vehicles were displaying these on the return crossing, most were not.

Isnt this just so ridiculously petty.
I wonder how many EU car owners happily touring the UK get fined for not having their country of origin stickers on their vehicles, close to none of course, why are we so accepting of these shenanigans?

Yes agree, make sure your van is legal for the country you intend to visit, some may think it petty, but it is the law, and we expect those who drive in UK to comply with our laws when here.
Interestingly I found it challenging to establish if I needed an International Driving Permit to drive in France, frustrating that the UKGov website referred me to telephone the French Embassy. - Still not sure if I needed them, but for just over a fiver each I thought perhaps wise to get them in view of the current political situation!

I wonder how many EU car owners happily touring the UK get fined for not having their country of origin stickers on their vehicles, close to none of course, why are we so accepting of these shenanigans?
Because you have no choice - their country , their rules

We don't do on the spot fines in the UK.

We got back a few weeks ago. No questions on anything. Just showed passports and our mobile phones with the vaccination certificates, via the French App. (TousAntiCovid) We also printed out hard copies.

Never got Tous Anti Covid working. Paper always accepted even when it didn’t scan properly

Back