Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling with a dog to Norway - anyone done it?

S

Solgal

VIP Member
We are thinking of touring via Denmark through Norway this summer and want to take our dog. She's happily travelled down to Italy a couple of times. Any advice be great!

If the rules haven't changed since I took my two from Norway via ferry to Denmark and on to NL for a couple of weeks and then back again - then it's similar to UK - you need to see a vet within 1-7 days of entering Norway and have the worm / tic treatment.

If the rules haven't changed since I took my two from Norway via ferry to Denmark and on to NL for a couple of weeks and then back again - then it's similar to UK - you need to see a vet within 1-7 days of entering Norway and have the worm / tic treatment.
Thanks for the info!

Check out the Norwegian immigration pages - if you struggle let me know and I can ask friends over there or search on the Norwegian sites

2014 we took our two Dogs. We travelled from Germany to a T4 Club Meeting in Denmark and then via Sweden to Norway. Crossing the Borders was no Problem . Obviously we had the Pet Passports and all Standard Vaccination. We didn't see the Vet in Norway since we had the TiC and Worm Treatment done before travelling and had the Vet certifie it in the Pet Passport.
Well, you get quite some Attention when Walking through Cities like Göteborg (Sweden) , Oslo or Bergen with a German and a Belgium Shepherd ;-).
On the downside, in most places in Norway you cannot take the Dogs in.

2014 we took our two Dogs. We travelled from Germany to a T4 Club Meeting in Denmark and then via Sweden to Norway. Crossing the Borders was no Problem . Obviously we had the Pet Passports and all Standard Vaccination. We didn't see the Vet in Norway since we had the TiC and Worm Treatment done before travelling and had the Vet certifie it in the Pet Passport.
Well, you get quite some Attention when Walking through Cities like Göteborg (Sweden) , Oslo or Bergen with a German and a Belgium Shepherd ;-).
On the downside, in most places in Norway you cannot take the Dogs in.
Am I right in thinking if you cross from Sweden, you don’t need rabies bloods? Just a jab and working tablet (and pet passport)
trying to sneak a holiday in before Brexit ...

Am I right in thinking if you cross from Sweden, you don’t need rabies bloods? Just a jab and working tablet (and pet passport)
trying to sneak a holiday in before Brexit ...
Only if the pet ONLY travels between Norway and Sweden.

As far as I know, there are no checks on pets passing between Norway and Sweden, and nowhere to declare your pet at land crossing points. It is taken on trust that travellers will have complied with the regulations. The same applies on the border between Norway and Finland.

Only if the pet ONLY travels between Norway and Sweden.

As far as I know, there are no checks on pets passing between Norway and Sweden, and nowhere to declare your pet at land crossing points. It is taken on trust that travellers will have complied with the regulations. The same applies on the border between Norway and Finland.
Thank you, that’s what I thought.

If you are checked though, currently no need for rabies bloods? and uk pet Passport is regarded as in rest of Europe?

Thank you, that’s what I thought.

If you are checked though, currently no need for rabies bloods? and uk pet Passport is regarded as in rest of Europe?
From the UK, and until December 31 2020, you will need your EU pet passport with a valid rabies stamp and a valid worming stamp. The pet will need to be microchipped.

From Sweden only there is no need for the rabies stamp so long as the pet hasn't been outside Sweden/Norway.

Details here:

From the UK, and until December 31 2020, you will need your EU pet passport with a valid rabies stamp and a valid worming stamp. The pet will need to be microchipped.

From Sweden only there is no need for the rabies stamp so long as the pet hasn't been outside Sweden/Norway.

Details here:
Yes I saw this, but specifically wondered about whether this arrangement applies if the dog is from uk. But I suppose that won’t matter, for now

Yes I saw this, but specifically wondered about whether this arrangement applies if the dog is from uk. But I suppose that won’t matter, for now

No. The rabies stamp is required from the UK, even if travelling direct between the UK and Norway. The exception for Swedish dogs that have never left Sweden/Norway is a pragmatic exception due to the exceptionally long Swedish/Norwegian border.

However, if you travel directly between the UK and Norway/Malta/Ireland you don’t need the worming stamp.

Back