Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling with three dogs

janross

janross

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, had our van about a month and not stayed over night as yet. We have three small dogs and are looking for tips on travelling with them. Would like to let them off lead between van and maybe an awning. I wonder if this is possible. They are small and could escape, need a fully contained idea. Ideally they could sleep and eat in an outside setup. Thanks.

Hi Maggie
we have two terriers and they sleep in the van downstairs. We have a tent/awning and specified it with zips along both sides and bottom to contain them. We also hammer a large spike into the ground with a couple of long lines to allow some free movement. These can get a little annoying when dog tangling occurs but a small price to pay really.

Hi Maggie
we have two terriers and they sleep in the van downstairs. We have a tent/awning and specified it with zips along both sides and bottom to contain them. We also hammer a large spike into the ground with a couple of long lines to allow some free movement. These can get a little annoying when dog tangling occurs but a small price to pay really.
Thanks, is your awning a drive away? Looking into this and bought a palm air, not suitable. Great news l can return it The dogs could have escaped it. Yes zips would be good the palm had spaced out toggles no use at all. I have three long lines for them tangled mess lol We do have 3 sleepy pod harnesses...crash tested. They all fit nicely on the back seat clipped into to these. Really dont want them in a harness 24 hours.

Thanks, is your awning a drive away? Looking into this and bought a palm air, not suitable. Great news l can return it The dogs could have escaped it. Yes zips would be good the palm had spaced out toggles no use at all. I have three long lines for them tangled mess lol We do have 3 sleepy pod harnesses...crash tested. They all fit nicely on the back seat clipped into to these. Really dont want them in a harness 24 hours.
Our "awning" is in fact a Karsten tent, expensive and heavy but we love it. When parked, we don't harness the dogs overnight (in the bus).

I think you’ll struggle to make a driveway escape proof for small dogs, as I did at the Tenby meet (sorry everyone). If you seal them in the tent bit you’ve a good chance, but if you leave the van side open to the porch area, they’ll be off under the flaps. When the fry ups start early, mine will go wandering if not tucked beside us on the duvet.
If they are used to a crate, then locking them in that would work while you sleep. That allows you to ventilate the awning and / or leave the side door open so you can feel connected to them (or them to you).

Oh and do be aware when booking that some sights have a max 2 dogs rule.

We now cart around with us two pentagonal children’s play pens that combine together to make a large 3m by 2m rectangular dog pen.

Not a cheap option unless you already have the fence panels. It works for us as Meg is a reactive dog, and putting her on a lead, tied to the tow bar doesn’t separate her from passing dogs.

I think you’ll struggle to make a driveway escape proof for small dogs, as I did at the Tenby meet (sorry everyone). If you seal them in the tent bit you’ve a good chance, but if you leave the van side open to the porch area, they’ll be off under the flaps. When the fry ups start early, mine will go wandering if not tucked beside us on the duvet.
If they are used to a crate, then locking them in that would work while you sleep. That allows you to ventilate the awning and / or leave the side door open so you can feel connected to them (or them to you).

Oh and do be aware when booking that some sights have a max 2 dogs rule.
Thanks great information, dont want to buy an awning only to worry. We are hoping to wild camp in the highlands but of course would like a site now and then.

We now cart around with us two pentagonal children’s play pens that combine together to make a large 3m by 2m rectangular dog pen.

Not a cheap option unless you already have the fence panels. It works for us as Meg is a reactive dog, and putting her on a lead, tied to the tow bar doesn’t separate her from passing dogs.
Sounds interesting will look into it, will tie them up in the mean while. I to would prefer that they don't see everything going on around

Our setup at Agility today. Dog ‘gardens’ are very popular on the show scene. There are various different types, we just have our simple mesh one today.43656

Thanks yes a small dog garden would be great. Where do you guys buy the mesh?

Thanks yes a small dog garden would be great. Where do you guys buy the mesh?
Mesh you can get from a garden center, posts are electric fence posts from eBay. You can also use wind-breaks. They love to wander around, but we always keep an eye on them. The garden goes all the way round the van. They like to lie under the van to stay cool, if it’s hot...like today :)

Last edited:
Mesh you can get from a garden center, posts are electric fence posts from eBay. You can also use wind-breaks. They love to wander around, but we always keep an eye on them. The garden goes all the way round the van. They like to lie under the van to stay cool, if it’s hot...like today :)
Great it can go round the van was thinking the wee lass could escape under it lol

What does that look like please?

Hi, had our van about a month and not stayed over night as yet. We have three small dogs and are looking for tips on travelling with them. Would like to let them off lead between van and maybe an awning. I wonder if this is possible. They are small and could escape, need a fully contained idea. Ideally they could sleep and eat in an outside setup. Thanks.
Our 2 mini dax chewed their way out a fabric travel crate. Now have a solid crate that splits in half and goes in foot well when on site. They also sleep in it. We tie them up with wire rope outside when door open or sit them on our knee. We also have a boot lock so there can be a small opening at the back they cant slip through. The big dog is no trouble!

We travel with 6 dogs - yes, I know. Two working cockers in cage on rear shelf, three littLe terriers in Solvit hanging dog beds off rear headrests and drivers, Kerry Blue on small K9 bed behind passenger seat (or on my lap). We have an 8-sided, 90cm tall foldable cage where they are kept outdoors during the day. We hang off the cage their leads, Simple Human waste bin with their crunchies. Folding beds inside which fit flat on bench seat and under their hanging beds. They come inside at night. We took a thin webbed ground cover and fashioned it over the top of the cage for sun protection and hang our towels around for privacy. But when campsite children discover them, I give them poo bags and leads.

Back