Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trip Counter / mpg - how do you reset?

markheathcote

markheathcote

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Having spent much time fumbling around trying to find a way to reset the trip counter (T6.1 Ocean), I eventually referred to the manual which showed some extra controls on the wiper control stick that I don't have... my wiper stick controls only the wipers and nothing else. So how on earth do I reset the trip / MPG computer for a specific journey?

I'm trying to do a video for our channel about the impact of different driving methods and speeds on mpg... there seems to be up to 10mpg difference but without being able to reset the counters I am just making estimates... any ideas anyone? (I am guessing that resetting the trip computer will reset the mpg calculator too, but not sure.

PXL_20220915_121443201.jpg

Get the dashboard display showing the data you want to reset & then hold down the OK button on the right hand side of the steering wheel for a few seconds.

Or press Car on the infotainment system and flip through those pages.

On a 6.1? I heard that before somewhere and I just tried it again, holding the OK button doesn't seem to do anything on any screen I go to... None of the numbers change. Very strange.

Interested to hear your conclusion on the mpg when employing different driving styles. Speed is probably the main one once you go over 60mph as the air resistance increases disproportionately with increase in speed.

Interested to hear your conclusion on the mpg when employing different driving styles. Speed is probably the main one once you go over 60mph as the air resistance increases disproportionately with increase in speed.

Headwind or tailwind can make a significant difference too.

60 mph with a 10 mph tailwind will be a little like driving at 50, whereas 60 mph with a 10 mph headwind will be more like 70 mph.

The tests will take place in well controlled conditions, eliminating as many variables as possible, and each test will be done three times to get an average... And, carried out on my 150ps ocean (about to be sold) plus my new 4motion 204ps with the same wheels and tires... (wheels are being transferred). It's going to be interesting and will all be up on YouTube.. Subsctibe so at not too miss it

Headwind or tailwind can make a significant difference too.

60 mph with a 10 mph tailwind will be a little like driving at 50, whereas 60 mph with a 10 mph headwind will be more like 70 mph.
It will all be on the same stretches of road going in the same direction to try to eliminate factors like that. And multiple runs of each test.

It will all be on the same stretches of road going in the same direction to try to eliminate factors like that. And multiple runs of each test.
So completely irrelevant to the real world with different weather conditions, ambient temperatures, vehicle loads, traffic and variations in altitude and road surfaces. In fact I thought the Manufacturers and Regulators carried out such tests already when determining the fuel consumption and emissions of each new vehicle, using a standardised format.

So completely irrelevant to the real world with different weather conditions, ambient temperatures, vehicle loads, traffic and variations in altitude and road surfaces. In fact I thought the Manufacturers and Regulators carried out such tests already when determining the fuel consumption and emissions of each new vehicle, using a standardised format.
They do their WLTP test usually at the Millbrook Proving Ground I think using the same fixed route with different terrains and road speeds. It’s only designed to be a benchmark to measure all vehicles by. Real world is totally different for the reasons you state. You can bet the manufacturers will only do the official test on the days when all driving conditions (ie weather, temperature etc) are optimal to get the most desirable result. They’ll also probably remove as much weight as they can get away with too, but they are supposed to do WLTP testing for different specs of the same vehicle (ie with bigger wheels etc). I once did this test when bored on a long drive up the M6 doing 15 mins driving at different constant speeds and reset the trip computer each time. Results were very interesting. If I recall correctly 10% fuel savings between 60mph and 70mph. But that was in a car and not a Cali.

Last edited:
They do their WLTP test usually at the Millbrook Proving Ground I think using the same fixed route with different terrains and road speeds. It’s only designed to be a benchmark to measure all vehicles by. Real world is totally different for the reasons you state. You can bet the manufacturers will only do the official test on the days when all driving conditions (ie weather, temperature etc) are optimal to get the most desirable result. They’ll also probably remove as much weight as they can get away with too, but they are supposed to do WLTP testing for different specs of the same vehicle (ie with bigger wheels etc). I once did this test when bored on a long drive up the M6 doing 15 mins driving at different constant speeds and reset the trip computer each time. Results were very interesting. If I recall correctly 10% fuel savings between 60mph and 70mpg. But that was in a car and not a Cali.
Totally agree. And when you realised there was a 10% fuel saving at 60mph did you restrict yourself to 60mph thereafter?

The tests will take place in well controlled conditions, eliminating as many variables as possible, and each test will be done three times to get an average... And, carried out on my 150ps ocean (about to be sold) plus my new 4motion 204ps with the same wheels and tires... (wheels are being transferred). It's going to be interesting and will all be up on YouTube.. Subsctibe so at not too miss it
Are you going to wait until the engine has done 10,000 or so miles on the new one so its run in? or even 3,500 so the oil pump is pumping at the lower pressure?

If you are doing like for like comparisons, you do really need to do some long uphill climbs at high speed, going over the pyrenees I found the 199 engine far, far more economical than the old 140 when doing 130kmh, in fact the bi-turbo was always more economical at high speed & the smaller engine better round town.

Totally agree. And when you realised there was a 10% fuel saving at 60mph did you restrict yourself to 60mph thereafter?
If I’m totally honest, at the time no, but this was a few years ago when fuel wasn’t as expensive as it is now. And I since changed the car to an EV and I now do drive more at 60mph than 70mph purely because of the comparative inconvenience to “refil” so to speak. I don’t have a home charger so have to recharge at work or public chargers. But now fuel is as expensive as it is I probably will drive the Cali at 60 than 70, depending on how quick I need to get to my destination.

As a general response to the OP, I usually flick the trip computer to instantaneous MPG to see the effect of my right foot. If I manage to reach a decent cruising speed that can be maintained with favourable instantaneous mpg then I usually stick at that to bring the average mpg up.

You are missing the point of what I am doing and why, but thank you for your helpful contribution.. I am trying to see the difference in mpg between different driving styles, I am not trying to tell you what mpg your van does. And I also want to fairly scientifically see how much impact my new 4motion has on mpg.

Are you going to wait until the engine has done 10,000 or so miles on the new one so its run in? or even 3,500 so the oil pump is pumping at the lower pressure?

If you are doing like for like comparisons, you do really need to do some long uphill climbs at high speed, going over the pyrenees I found the 199 engine far, far more economical than the old 140 when doing 130kmh, in fact the bi-turbo was always more economical at high speed & the smaller engine better round town.
good point about letting the engine settle, I guess I should then... probably not a full 10,000 though... very interesting point about the long uphills, I had not considered that the 199 / 204 would be more efficient.. I'm not sure I'll be in a position to do that before the van goes, but I will mention it in the final video. The main purpose is old me vs young me driving styles.. in my provision numbers today, though not multiple runs, the difference was around 9mpg just by driving differently, but lots more runs to note down before I jump to conclusions, but I have a specific 'technique' that I am using for the 'old me' driving that I shall talk about. All just a bit of fun really, but I am interested to see what the outcome is, and how much I lose on the 4 motion, albeit recognizing your points above.

They do their WLTP test usually at the Millbrook Proving Ground I think using the same fixed route with different terrains and road speeds. It’s only designed to be a benchmark to measure all vehicles by. Real world is totally different for the reasons you state. You can bet the manufacturers will only do the official test on the days when all driving conditions (ie weather, temperature etc) are optimal to get the most desirable result. They’ll also probably remove as much weight as they can get away with too, but they are supposed to do WLTP testing for different specs of the same vehicle (ie with bigger wheels etc). I once did this test when bored on a long drive up the M6 doing 15 mins driving at different constant speeds and reset the trip computer each time. Results were very interesting. If I recall correctly 10% fuel savings between 60mph and 70mph. But that was in a car and not a Cali.
now that's the sort of thing I am talking about.... I do plan some further tests in same vehicle on the same stretch as you describe, at 40, 50, 60, 70, 80.. errr 70. I have been told 40-60 is most efficient but I want to try to test it... old me vs new me first, and 150ps vs 204ps. now that I finally worked out how to reset the trip.

Back