Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trip to Anglesey 2019

gvick

gvick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Yeah we are off on our second mini trip since returning from Scotlands west coast in July.
We are off Wednesday night to Birmingham and parents to break journey. Then early start Thursday morning to Anglesey and Tyddyn Islaf campsite on north of the island.
Will post some pics and reviews of places as we go - packed van up today with just trainers and toiletries to pack :bananadance2excited- and of course Barney dog Is coming to.

Any tips as to places to visit or things to do?

Sea Zoo if you have kids, newbourough warren and Llandwin Island for dog walking and a bit of quiet, redwarf bay birth place of the landrover..., North and south stack lighthouses, Beaumaris has a seaside town feel to it and a castle, and too many other little bays to go into.

If the sea zoo is on the list go early in the stay as the ticket when we went allowed multiple visits.

this website may be useful - the church in the sea worth a visit. I like Penmon point & lighthouse via a toll road. RSPB cafe closed at South Stack in June until next year due to storm damage until 2020.

Newborough beach and forest is lovely. It’s £5 for the day to park but worth it. Loos down there but no cafe, so keep the fridge full! They have a section for dogs (turn left) or no dogs (turn right). Unfortunately you can’t take dogs upto the lighthouse area, which is a shame as it’s stunning. However, if you walk through the forest, the best beach is actually to the north of the lighthouse, where dogs are allowed. Never usually many people on it either because you have to walk to it. One of my favourite beaches anywhere.

If you can get in, book a table at the Marram Grass for lunch. Closer to where you are, Red Wharf Bay is very nice. The Ship is a good pub, I prefer the food at The Boathouse, a few doors along. Llanddona beach also lovely (very narrow lanes to get down there). Moelfre very pretty and great coastal walks. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Cali all packed just one more day of work and up to Birmingham to see parents and break journey tomorrow :thumb

From your site go down to the beach and walk to the left corner of the car park without the shop and follow the path until you reach Traeth Ora, beautiful little beach with usually no one else on it. Alternatively head to the right of the car park by the shop and walk to Moelfre and have a pint at the Kimnel Arms. The Pilot Boat, just a bit further along the A5025 from where you turn down the lane to Tyddyn Isaf, sells a decent pint.

In the direction of Amlwch, Point Lynas is a great spot for porpoise and sea bird spotting and the coastal path in that area is always nice for a stroll with great views. Also the Port Chippy in Amlwch port does great fish and chips.

Newborough is nice but it’s a bit of a trek from where you are and there is no shortage of good beaches / coastal walks where you are.

I live 5 miles from where you are camping, if you want any other info just ask.

So 4 hour trip to Birmingham to break journey Wednesday evening.
Then a relaxed start this morning to get to Tyddnn Isaff at 2:40pm
We were met and shown our pitch which has amazing views of the sea and beach - very impressive so far.

7753B33B-59BA-4412-AA07-720279DA22FA.jpeg

1EE30097-9ABF-4A21-9BA4-3D485C7279EE.jpeg

From your site go down to the beach and walk to the left corner of the car park without the shop and follow the path until you reach Traeth Ora, beautiful little beach with usually no one else on it. Alternatively head to the right of the car park by the shop and walk to Moelfre and have a pint at the Kimnel Arms. The Pilot Boat, just a bit further along the A5025 from where you turn down the lane to Tyddyn Isaf, sells a decent pint.

In the direction of Amlwch, Point Lynas is a great spot for porpoise and sea bird spotting and the coastal path in that area is always nice for a stroll with great views. Also the Port Chippy in Amlwch port does great fish and chips.

Newborough is nice but it’s a bit of a trek from where you are and there is no shortage of good beaches / coastal walks where you are.

I live 5 miles from where you are camping, if you want any other info just ask.
Thanks @bigmac77 i will be checking out your recommendations :thumb

First day on Anglesey- found quiet beach @bigmac77 recommended had it all to ourselves.
Now making my signature chicken curry as the weather is forecast rain tomorrow so making the most of a lovely evening :cool:

20804324-DD59-4361-A84F-C5D8175ADAB0.jpeg

4C62A62D-F02C-4436-9BAB-337729A5B33E.jpeg

F7CB1F35-992C-4CAF-ADBB-D704E0E039DF.jpeg

Great stuff. Hold tight, there’s definitely some weather heading in!

Wow what a night - our first night upstairs in what I would call a proper storm. Cali was great with only a small leak upstairs where I’d left a zip open a tiny bit for ventilation.
Can’t recommend the camp site and owners enough- very friendly. The daughter took a photo of the Cali all set up for their website so we might be famous. Or is that infamous. My wife told me to stop boring everyone we meet with how good a Cali is but if they ask me about the van......
A picture of our pitch with bunting and lights - now to explore Anglesey before it rains again.

D4C4688E-8416-4AC2-97E3-2612F6D538AE.jpeg

So today we went to Red wharf bay, Beaumaris and Moelfre and for the most part dodged the showers or walked on the beaches with an umbrella.
Beaumaris and Buckherleys hotel was our favourite where we had a cream tea.
Eating at the campsite restaurant owing to the rain tonigh.

525C8D76-92A1-48A6-9955-F8F4B4502527.jpeg

F06BE198-EA63-4B9A-A884-7C38B92EB3B5.jpeg

4C0AA491-E56F-425C-AB2B-BD728BDCA897.jpeg

We passed Anglesey in june 2016 when we went arround Wales and did spotted the porpoise while walking the coastal path to Point Lynas .
Very nice region , enjoy your trip !
Our adventures from then here:

We passed Anglesey in june 2016 when we went arround Wales and did spotted the porpoise while walking the coastal path to Point Lynas .
Very nice region , enjoy your trip !
Our adventures from then here:

Thanks Wim
Had a good read of your adventures and as a result we are going to visit Holyhead and Alymwch today :thumb

Another stormy night with winds up to 43mph - strangely though whilst noisy Cali felt very secure with occasional whole van being rocked by the wind.
We finally got up at 9am and enjoyed cereal, lots of hot tea and (as my children would say) a cheeky pains au chocolat.
After reading @hotel california post from 2016 we’ve decided on Holyhead and Amlwch today.
Some pics from yesterday which due to dodgy wi if couldn’t post.

459C235D-651E-4C13-8ECD-D6BFB3D45B3C.jpeg

2EDDC230-D392-4EF6-B89F-7AB97BB62CFA.jpeg

Last edited:
We’re just back from Anglesey (yesterday), surprised we didn’t pass each other! First time on the island for us and it was lovely.

Our first night was at Pen y Bont campsite near Malltraeth. £17 a night and we’ll worth it. Pick your own eggs from the chickens and great facilities, very relaxed and few rules. Can’t recommend it enough.

Day two was Bodafon Farm at Rhosneigr. Same price but very basic facilities. The village shops didn’t have any fresh fruit or veg other than a single lonely Avocado! How shabby chic is that!

Days three and four were at Ty’n Rhos site near Lligwy beach. (£30 a night and minimum of two nights stay!). Shame they still wanted 50p extra for each shower. Still, it’s probably at this price because the beach - a ten minute stroll - is so great. There’s a great beach cafe at Lligwy - actually a wigwam - with loads of activities going on (knit and natter and kids events). You could visit the car park there off grid (£10 a night and £3/5 a day with loos on hand).

Anyway, on this subject, has anyone any recommendations for the best apps for finding campsites. Our very old CCC big book is falling to pieces and we find that Park4night and the Campsites app seem to miss off loads.

So a busy day first off Amlwch which has a lovely quaint port and a copper museum and mine workings (did you know it produced the copper plating for Nelson Flagship and the owner was one of the wealthiest men in 1780’s). We had a lovely lunch of pork pie, cheese and biscuits and lots of tea in the warmth of the Cali.
Then we went to Holyhead and saw the harbour and museum. It felt lune a town in decline although the strong winds produced some amazing surf at Trearddur Bay. Then onto to south stack lighthouse (which was closed) and back home to a steak, mushroom and chilli potatoes supper washed down with copious amounts of Malbec which @GrannyJen would approve.
Cheers everyone- early start tomorrow to Birmingham and then Essex. What an amazing vehicle a Cali is :thumb :cool:

DCAE7E3F-10A5-4A9E-8D04-E7FCE0FE5635.jpeg

65279735-490A-401D-826D-5F084EED86E2.jpeg

3415FECC-1B31-4A1B-9F87-0A783EBDE8CC.jpeg

Last edited:
We’re just back from Anglesey (yesterday), surprised we didn’t pass each other! First time on the island for us and it was lovely.

Our first night was at Pen y Bont campsite near Malltraeth. £17 a night and we’ll worth it. Pick your own eggs from the chickens and great facilities, very relaxed and few rules. Can’t recommend it enough.

Day two was Bodafon Farm at Rhosneigr. Same price but very basic facilities. The village shops didn’t have any fresh fruit or veg other than a single lonely Avocado! How shabby chic is that!

Days three and four were at Ty’n Rhos site near Lligwy beach. (£30 a night and minimum of two nights stay!). Shame they still wanted 50p extra for each shower. Still, it’s probably at this price because the beach - a ten minute stroll - is so great. There’s a great beach cafe at Lligwy - actually a wigwam - with loads of activities going on (knit and natter and kids events). You could visit the car park there off grid (£10 a night and £3/5 a day with loos on hand).

Anyway, on this subject, has anyone any recommendations for the best apps for finding campsites. Our very old CCC big book is falling to pieces and we find that Park4night and the Campsites app seem to miss off loads.
We are at Tynddyn Isaf so very near you - shame we didn’t bump into each other.
I’ve been using camp for night app but still to chicken to wild camp :thumb

I stayed at Bodfan Farm last week too! There were loads of jets coming in to RAF Valley in the morning - impressive but noisy! My favourite Anglesey beach Cable Bay is just down the road from this site.

I don't bother with apps or books or websites, I just google "campsites near.....wherever" - it works for me!

Back