Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Troubleshooting shower

AlexB

AlexB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all,

We have a T6 Ocean which we've owned from new, just celebrated its 3rd anniversary. We spec'd the shower and, I'm slightly embarrassed to say, went to use it for the first time last weekend. We were unable to get any water to flow through to the shower head. We've spent some considerable time reading the VW manual, watching how-to videos and searching for answers online to no avail. We did find this forum post which has been guiding our troubleshooting.

I'm absolutely positive that we're connecting the shower correctly (knurled ring springs forward perfectly to lock hose connector into place). When I flick the switch directly above the connection point I hear the pump activating. There is no obvious problem with or damage to either the shower hose (kinks, breaks etc.), the shower head or the male/female connectors. I can blow through the connector end of the shower hose and feel air coming out of the shower head with the shower "tap" held open. Furthermore, the tap in the kitchen which - if I'm not mistaken - runs off the same pump, works perfectly.

Having ruled out a problem with the pump and the shower head & hose, I'm now looking at the blue pipe between the Y-connection and the shower hose connector to check for blockages (picture attached). I've removed the clamps from either end of the hose and successfully disconnected the hose from the shower connection point, but I can't for the life of me disconnect the pipe from the Y-connection. Should it simply pull off? Could the fact that I can't pull it off indicate a problem e.g. corrosion/rust on the connector?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

20220610_192352.jpg

shower_pipework.jpg

Just to close this off:

I returned to the van today with a long, thin pipe cleaner (wish I'd thought of this sooner!). Pushing it into the disconnected end of the blue pipe I noticed that it hit a block at the Y-connector, and when I pulled the pipe cleaner out it was filthy black. This worked a treat though, and when I switched on the shower pump a stream of black water jetted out - straight on to me, as it happens - before running clear.

The shower is now working perfectly!