Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tsi- LPG conversion

• Thread starter Criminallyvulgar
  • Start date
C

Criminallyvulgar

Vehicle
Just browsing
Have any of you Carried out an LPG conversion to a TSI?

I’d assume no one would do this in warranty but would you consider it once the warranty expired?

Is this a stupid idea?

Have any of you Carried out an LPG conversion to a TSI?

I’d assume no one would do this in warranty but would you consider it once the warranty expired?

Is this a stupid idea?
Some have done it on the T6 TSI. Check the T6 Forum.

We had a 4.0l Jeep Cherokee converted many years ago; conversion was carried out by a Jeep Dealership in Shrewsbury; Had various issues with the system which involved a long drive back to the dealership each time to get them rectified. Base vehicle was low mileage with FJeepSH since new and had no issues prior to the conversion.

The other issue was finding filling stations that stocked LPG. Often you would arrive at a fuel station to find that the LPG pump was out of action or being serviced.

May have just been unlucky, but we wouldn't do it again.

I'd assume that spare wheel area needed for LPG tank which could be an issue with some. Might be a safety issue having this to rear of axle, rear end shunts.

Careful costing as to viability on actual mileage to be completed during ownership and saving against installation costs would be needed.
Commercial user high mileage and being able to reclaim VAT and set installation cost against tax would set the viability bar lower for this type of user conversion.

i had a motorhome with an lpg conversion very difficult to find garages that stock it

I once owned a beautiful Jaguar XJ8 4.2litre, and for very obvious reasons had a LPG conversion done.
Obviously I live in an area well supplied with LPG fuel stations, and therefore that aspect was never a problem. Of course since you retain the entire petrol system, you are never stuck, even you aren't in an area where LPG can be purchased (unlike electric cars!).
In my duration of using, I was more than happy with my choice, and would therefore unhesitatingly recommend it, assuming all else is equal.

Just trying to future proof an ocean purchase (moving to Bristol) and getting a TSI may be my only option

Not sure I would bother with LPG and I run a 4.4litre D3 that averages between 8 and 23mpg. Not recommended for the 4.4 engine but I wouldn't buy a vehicle, particularly a modern one, with LPG fitted.

About 15 or so years ago I had an LPG-converted 2.5 litre petrol-engined T4. VW had had the LPG conversion done on a new van by a third-party converter and then used the van as a concept demonstrator. When they’d finished with it a VW dealer had it converted to a camper van by Bilbos and I bought it off the dealer.

I kept it for about three or four years and did a lot of miles, mainly in the UK but some in France and Germany. The low fuel price made it worthwhile for me. The price was typically around 50% of that of petrol though I’d probably get a bit better mileage and performance when running on petrol.

Finding retail stations stocking LPG was never a significant problem. You get to know where they are in your regular haunts. A bit of planning and use of websites means you can find them when further afield. On the very rare occasions when you do run out of LPG you still have a petrol tank.

The LPG tank was a donut tank in the spare wheel space. So I either carried one of those gunk-and-compressor kits or a spare wheel in the boot.

I did have some problems with the van losing power. After much investigation, changes of ECU etc. it seemed to be traced to a problem with the catalytic converter which had to be replaced. That could have been due to the LPG: maybe increased chance of fuel contamination or increased exhaust gas temperature but both of those are debatable.

One thing that the issue did highlight was the problem of having such hybrid/unconventional systems serviced and faults diagnosed. The LPG system experts and the conventional engine experts tended to look at and see different things.

From an environmental perspective you can argue that you’re burning relatively more hydrogen and less carbon but it wouldn’t need a Greta Thunberg to point out the weakness in your argument.

From a safety perspective, fuel in a (relatively) large pressurised tank gives an additional hazard - the possibility of an explosion (BLEVE) which, despite Hollywood’s portrayals, tends not to happen with gasoline or diesel. In my view the risk is not significant enough to worry about in everyday driving. It does though mean that LPG-fuelled vehicles are not allowed on Eurotunnel.

I’m quite happy with my current TSI, and don’t intend to get it converted.

Back