Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Turbine sound from engine recently (during accelerations)

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Dear all,

I have an Ocean, FWD, 150 HP. So far I have about 34,500 km on the clock.

About 3 weeks ago during normal (gentle) acceleration there is a sound coming from the engine that sound a wee bit like a turbine (if that makes sense). It is not very loud. That happens when the engine is cold or warm in any gear. As soon as the van cruises the sound is gone.

I was wondering if somebody made a similar experience. The van is booked in for a service for Friday of this week, but I just wanted to gather information talking to my Volkswagen dealer.

Regards,
Eberhard

Could be one of three things. A warped exhaust manifold, a split egr pipe or the small turbo charger starting to give up

Hello VW Guru,

Thank you for the information. I will send my VW dealer an email before the service to give them the heads up of the sound. I hope I have more information Friday night.

Regards,
Eberhard

Not having heard the sound it could be the turbo waste gate noise

Is it constant or just a second or so every now and again

Oh and the 150 only has 1 turbo AFAIK

Good afternoon,

It is all the time during normal acceleration in any of the gears. It stops if the foot is off the accelerator pedal or if the van is cruzing.

Tomorrow evening I will leave the van with VW for Service and point out the issue. The plan is to collected it on Friday afternoon. Can't wait what they then have to tell me.

Regards,
Eberhard

I had this on a mitsubishi and it was the turbine out of balance having been previously dismantled. Heavy turbo noise. Having said that I doubt that is the cause. I have also had a whistle noise due to a gasket leak on the high pressure side of the exhaust manifold.

Good afternoon,

Yesterday afternoon I collected the van from the VW dealer after the oel service.

It was acknowledged that there is a strange sound coming from the engine. At the moment it seems not clear what the source of this is.

We agreed that I will bring the van on the 09/12 to VW and leave it latest until the following Friday.

As soon as I know (and hopefully issue sorted) I will update the post.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

I left the van with my local VW dealer to look after the strange whissiling sound from the engine during accerlaration.

I hope to have the van back latest this week Friday. I wonder what they will find and repair. Good that it is still under warranty.

I will give an update as soon as the van is back.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

I left the van with my local VW dealer to look after the strange whissiling sound from the engine during accerlaration.

I hope to have the van back latest this week Friday. I wonder what they will find and repair. Good that it is still under warranty.

I will give an update as soon as the van is back.

Regards,
Eberhard
If it’s a whistle under acceleration then probably a turbo leak , a loose/split tube or clip between the turbo and the inlet manifold. At worst the Intercooler or most unlikely the turbo itself.

Good evening,

Well, let's see what they will tell me on Friday (I hope that I get the van back on Friday).

I hope it won't happen again after the warranty, whatever it is, it doesn't sound cheap.

Regards,
Eberhard

Is it a manual.? Does the sound stay if you press the clutch and rev the engine? I'm thinking it may be a gearbox bearing?

Is it a manual.? Does the sound stay if you press the clutch and rev the engine? I'm thinking it may be a gearbox bearing?

Good morning,

Yes, it is a manual. I haven't tested this as you suggested it. Under normal driving condition the sound was noticable during normal accerlation including changing gears. Because the van is now with VW I have to wait what they will say. I hope it doesn't take too long until I get it back.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good morning,

I got an email from my VW dealer this morning:
Good Morning,

We have found a fault with the splines in the turbo charger on the engine. There is a replacement turbo on order for you but unfortunately it will not be on site until Wednesday the 18th of December.

It was offered that I can collect the van and use it until then.

I have no idea what that is "... fault with the splines in the turbo charger...". I tried to google it, but I can't find anything meaning ful (to me) in a hurry.

If VW can in writing ensure me that no other parts of the engine can be damaged while continue using the van I will collect the van today. From experience I believe that the part won't be available on the 18th, so there is a chance that I will use the van over Christmas.

I hope I won't end up "stranded" somehwere ... I keep you updated.

Regards,
Eberhard

Like i mentioned a few posts back. The noise is due to imbalance of the rotor. I would push them on splines as i suspect they mean blades.. If a piece has fallen off on the compressor rotor where is it now ? Could be stuck in the intercooler somewhere or gone through the engine. Ask how big the piece is and specifically what it is. 1g is a massive imbalance but for they to see wheel damage then it must be significant.
If its on the exhaust side wheel then I wouldnt worry so much.

Good afternoon,

I got an update from VW:

There is a notation with VW that moisture gets around the turbo charger splines and in adverse weather conditions can freeze and cause damage to the edge of the splines. There is a newly modified turbo pipe getting replaced as well which will prevent this from happening in the future.

No pieces are missing but there is wear identified on the splines,

I will drop in to VW later in the afternoon to see if there is more information available.

Regards,
Eberhard

PS
I still have no idea what they are talking about. I will spend some time this evening googling :)

Hi there is a technical bulletin that states in some circumstances in cold weather the condensation in the intake can freeze when the engine is started the turbo can Ingest the ice damaging the compressor wheel. The turbo is very acutely balanced and the slightest knock can cause the compressor wheel to go out of balance or be slightly damaged the smallest little damage on the compressor wheel will cause a high pitched squeal remember the idle speed of the turbo is around 150000rpm. Hope that helps

Good afternoon,

Thank you for the explanation. I was too much focused on the "splines" which I struggle to understand what that means. Your explanation makes more sense to me.

I have a bad memory, but there might have been some frosty nights around the time the issue started. My wife heard it first (I can't hear on one ear) so I don't know exactly when it started.

It seems that this is a known issue, as my VW dealer said there will be some other improved parts changed at the same time, hopefully to prevent this happening in the future.

I assume this is some sort of design failure, because it can't be that there is a problem with turbo charger when there is frost. I am glad it happened during warranty, I dont even want to know how much this all would cost. :(

Regards,
Eberhard

Sure is a design failure on the intake. Hence why they are doing the mods. FWIW if you were paying yourself then the turbo can actually be removed rebalanced and refitted. I had mine rebalanced on a mitsubishi.

Good morning,

Just an update about the repair.

Befor the standard oil service in November I have heard a kind of "turbine sound" from the engine. That was confirmed during the service. 2 weeks later I brought the van to the dealer again for closer inspection. I've been told that the turbo charger is defective and need to be replaced.

The VW dealer tried to get the parts before Christmas, but this did not work out. I got an appointment for last Thursday to leave the van with them over night.

Yesterday afternoon I collected the repaired van from the VW dealer.

It was explained to me that in rare circumstances moist, in some shape or form, can enter through a seal into the turbo charger which can damage the fan. It is rare, but know by Volkswagen. My VW dealer in Dublin said that they did not change a turbo charger on a T6 ever (isn't it nice to be special? :)). The turbo charger and different pipes / seals were installed to preven this happening again.

The parts and labour was covered under warranty, but I asked how much that would have cost. I've been told that this repair would have cost EUR 3,762.00 (inlc.VAT). :eek:

The van is back to normal, the engine is "purring like a cat" :bananadance2I hope it stays that way the next 300.000 km. Even thought the fact that the issue is anyoing the VW Dealer in Liffey Valley was looking after the van and me very well.

Regards,
Eberhard

Back