Turbo Trainer

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I recently bought Turbo Trainer (used) a Tacx Satori T2400 to try out.
I usually go Spin class 2/3 times a week. But since lockdown has banned classes I’ve had to resort to cycling in the shed...

I’ve actually quite liked it in there. Stick the tunes on and cycle 45-60mins in the evening.

So I’m thinking about upgrading the Turbo.
Any recommendations and first hand experiences...?

I know a few cyclists but they all have the Tacx. That’s where the recommendation first come from.
It’s not bad, but I think it lacks some
performance, especially against the gym dedicated spin bikes I use.
Maybe that why I notice, because I’m used to those bikes...?

Finding anything in stock is a challenge. I’m looking for an entry level smart trainer like the Tacx flow. Everywhere is sold out and big markups for used ones on eBay.

If you want to go full spin class there’s Peloton, but pricey, especially with the subscription.

Tacx.

I have a Wattbike Atom but had to put Assioma pedals on it as it was unreading badly.

Also been researching indoor trainers and finding it really difficult to make a decision so I’ll stick my thoughts in.

Seems there are two main routes to go and then it just comes down to how much you want to spend.

Route 1 is the turbo trainer/turbo smart bike linked to one of several software packages the favourite being Zwift. This is aimed primarily at the cyclist.

Route 2 is the spin bike/class type environment with the leader being Peloton where you get a complete package of indoor bike with screen with spin classes, yoga etc.

Both have had massive growth during the pandemic and the subsequent growth and completion is fuelling massive change making jumping into the market and selection difficult.

Options for Route 1

On of my sons has gone down the get the best cheap turbo trainer, stick your bike on it and get a subscription with Zwift for £12.99 a month. He loves it but there is set up time.

Topend option is something like the

Or

Again go for something like Zwift or Peloton have an app based package for £12.99. Stream through your mobile or cast to a tv. Smoothest option is through Apple TV for another £200 squid.

Peloton have recently upped there game and price with Peloton+ which acts more like a smart turbo with automatic change of gear. Big downer is the roughly £40 a month.

Rather than stick with just the cycling and fitness reviews I read the financials on where the market is going and it’s a minefield.

If somebody gave me the money and I had to make a choice I would go for one of the smart bikes (there’s 4 or 5 good ones to choose from). I liked the Tacx and then get a subscription of £12.99 for Peloton and £12.99 for Zwift.

That package would cater for going for a ride indoors or a fitness class and would cater for me and the wife.

Something for the future perhaps when the market settles and they are more available.

Mike

Last edited:
Can recommend Tacx neo 2 very pleased with it you can ride some of the courses without subscription.

Really good stuff guys.
Probably gonna stick with a smart trainer. I think Peleton is out of budget for me. As I will probably join local club rides through summer.
So for 6 months a year Peleton works out a lot of money.
Plus, I hope to get back to spin at some point. I like seeing people that I train with there.

Smart trainers.
Tacx Flux & Elite Suito look pretty good for the money. Although depends what’s available going by @willwander experience.
I’ve signed up to Zwift, but still haven’t used it. I’m ready to go, so will give it a try tomorrow night.

Shed training ;-)
A8D27749-8B0A-4BF7-81EF-F6B36C39D69E.jpeg

Jump on Zwift and ride around the Alps and different training sessions.

My research told me it’s going to get a major UI upgrade but been sidetracked by recruiting hardware engineers to compete with peloton.

Sounds like a mistake to me and they should stick to software and supporting all the smart bikes rather than make their own.

Evidently speculative money is looking to capitalise on the lockdown demand and new legions of homeworkers.

Mike

I have Tacx Neo 2T.... fantastic trainer: quiet, holds the bike really well, multi-surface feedback and can take as many watts as your ever likely to generate! downside at the moment is the fact that Garmin have recently bought Tacx and have made a mess of integrating the Tacx app into their systems so activities are not uploading to Strava or Garmin for 2 to 3 days! Good idea to try some of the excellent rides available for free through RGT to decide whether you prefer the 'real virtual' or the full virtual like Zwift.

Zwift for me. Been on it a while now. I would have gone with the Tacx Smart bike if it wasnt for the thigh gap issue.

Just finishing off the Rapha 500 on Zwift. Nice training block.

Zwift paired with a TACX Bushido for me. I‘ve had Zwift for a few years. Just riding about on your own is okay but really comes into its own when you’re either doing a group workout or ride, or a race. I’m just about to head into the garage for a meetup with some friends and catch up over a WhatsApp call.

Have a read of this, covers off the smart trainers out there and is split by budget.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/

The guy is very well know as being ultra detailed in his reviews.

My preference is the Elite Suito as a good balance between cost and features. I really like how it packs away so small.

I use the Wattbike Atom, which has really helped me understand training using power metrics. That then lead me to get into Zwift, which further accelerated improvements as I hated turbo training before. My fitness and power are massively higher compared to a year ago, so if this stuff motivates you, the results do come.

Have a read of this, covers off the smart trainers out there and is split by budget.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/

My preference is the Elite Suito as a good balance between cost and features. I really like how it packs away so small.

I use the Wattbike Atom, which has really helped me understand training using power metrics. That then lead me to get into Zwift, which further accelerated improvements as I hated turbo training before. My fitness and power are massively higher compared to a year ago, so if this stuff motivates you, the results do come.

Agreed. He was the best I came across and had an open mind.

Mike

Zwift paired with a TACX Bushido for me. I‘ve had Zwift for a few years. Just riding about on your own is okay but really comes into its own when you’re either doing a group workout or ride, or a race. I’m just about to head into the garage for a meetup with some friends and catch up over a WhatsApp call.
Agree. I group ride. GGCC tonight at 9pm. Cant miss me as I'm the sweeper!

@Moakesy
Thank you. Brilliant comprehensive guide.
It’s definitely got me leaning towards the Elite.
:thumb

16500km on Zwift so far. Can’t recommend it highly enough. Doesn’t get boring, always something new to have a go at.

Racing in Zwift takes your training up several notches, but there’s still more than enough to do if you don’t fancy the thought of blasting off the line and fading as slowly as you can which is how Zwift racing works.

Wahoo Kickr Core. Very solid reliable kit. Also budget for fans. Plenty of fans. In fact more fans than you think you could possibly need.

As well as DC Rainmaker, look for Shane Miller ‘GP Llama’ on YouTube. Very Zwift focussed technical guides.

I’m another advocate for the TacxNeo 2T but it’s high end price wise so a buyer needs to be sure they’ll stick with it, Smart trainers have been a game changer for me in the winter months
all the software providers give free trials - Tacx own app plus Zwift, Fulgaz, RGT etc so you can try all and not pay for a couple of months overall

I shall try to follow your decisive action. Spend far too long researching.

Well done.

Mike

Ive not paid my gym membership since June.
So the cost is covered. I’m no worse off in reality.
As lockdown has entered a new phase, I can’t see the return of spin classes until Easter at the earliest.
Thats a lot of missed training.

I think it’s worth the investment.
Really looking forward to upgrading the Satori :thumb

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
The DC Rainmaker review swung it for me. Weighing up the pros and cons of it all with other pieces I’ve read.
Looked the best bang for ya buck...

My delaying the decision making just got easier as I can’t get the one I’m after.

Trainer will be set up permanently and as it’s going to be used by the two of us it needs to be easily adjustable which narrows the options. I also don’t want to be tied to one system so that throws out the Peloton+ which is an improvement on the first Peloton.

Choice is the Tacx Neo Smart Bike

All I need to do now is find one and press the trigger.

Mike