Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Turbo Whine

ArcticMatt

ArcticMatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Does anyone with the 2.5 TDI ACV have audible whine when the boost kicks in?

Now I thought this noise was normal but I've been driving out old Taxi bus T4 Syncro which also has an ACV 2.5 TDI but this one make no noise when the boost kicks in. Do any of you have any experience of any noise or troubles it may cause.

I do get an intermittent warning light from the ECU regarding fuelling from the pump and there is black smoke from the back when under load.

It could possibly be worn turbo shaft bearings. Don't worry, the turbine/impeller run very close to the housing so it shouldn't be too long before you get confirmation!

Whip of the intake hose and try to wiggle the end of the shaft. Compare with your good unit.

Replace the unit before it destroys itself and takes your engine with it.

Sleep well. :thumb

It could possibly be worn turbo shaft bearings. Don't worry, the turbine/impeller run very close to the housing so it shouldn't be too long before you get confirmation!

Whip of the intake hose and try to wiggle the end of the shaft. Compare with your good unit.

Replace the unit before it destroys itself and takes your engine with it.

Sleep well. :thumb

I've had turbo runaway before on my old Kangoo trekka and it was not fun at all. I can't see any blue smoke at the moment so I'm hoping it's not that. I've read most T4 turbos just fail and stop. I'm used to driving a 2.4D so it'll be like the good old days

Down in France at the moment, just done a couple of days in the Pyrenees, now mines whining like a banshee

I hope its not bad. I've had mine over a year and been up and down all over our local roads and its always been the same. I just though it was normal for a TDI. I was kind of overly happy to be able to get up hills at all after living with a 2.4D for many years :)

There is quite a bit of chat about turbo whine on the bigger forums. A quick survey doesn't point to it being quite as life threatening as sidepod suggests.......but he is often right :)

Hopefully I'm wrong but if something wasn't making a noise, but now it is, there's a reasonable chance four ugly blokes on horseback will turn up shortly.

Are we talking whine or just audible whistle?

I'm not sure where the turbo is located but if you can reach it with a long heavy screwdriver, place the tip of the screwdriver on various parts of the casing and jam your ear against the handle. Get someone to rev the engine and listen.
Again compare to a known healthy unit.

You should be able to hear what's going on.

Back in the UK nearly, not sure where the turbo is but will have a good poke around once home. In the scheme of things, a refurbished unit would be sensible before chipping & nozzles, in pursuit of the magic "150"

Aye mine more of a whistle when the boost kick in but it's the first I've heard a turbo as loud. I've been in boy racer cars with beefy turbos where you can hear it. The other TDI doesn't make a sound and that's on over 370k Kms

Perhaps check the air inlet hose hasn't come loose ? You may just be hearing what's normally muffled.

Back home a while now, van only getting used at weekends, turbo whine almost disappeared, could this just be cooler, denser air?

Back home a while now, van only getting used at weekends, turbo whine almost disappeared, could this just be cooler, denser air?
Hmmmm unlikely. Perhaps the small stone lodged in the turbo is now in the engine? Only joking.

If it sounds ok leave well alone and just monitor it.

Back