Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two tone Bay leaf Green colour or wrap

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Just been to a dealer seen a California in the two tone Bay Leaf Green, really like the colour combination. Sales person pointed out a couple of concerns about the finish and where the green colour stopped and you can see the white paint, he thought a wrap would be just as good and cheaper. Never had a warp before or know much about them, the idea is we want to keep our first California for a few years (min 5 years), do wonder if a wrap over time will fade and need to be replaced, also having seen the green colour would probably try and match the colour or similar colour combination. So would a wrap make more sense or best to just go with the VW version, there is a big difference in price?

Thanks for any info

Wrap will also give protection to underlying paint plus can be removed or colour changed for a new look in future.

An example of wrapping can be seen on commercial vehicles. Stobbart trucks start white and get wrapped.

Just been to a dealer seen a California in the two tone Bay Leaf Green, really like the colour combination. Sales person pointed out a couple of concerns about the finish and where the green colour stopped and you can see the white paint, he thought a wrap would be just as good and cheaper. Never had a warp before or know much about them, the idea is we want to keep our first California for a few years (min 5 years), do wonder if a wrap over time will fade and need to be replaced, also having seen the green colour would probably try and match the colour or similar colour combination. So would a wrap make more sense or best to just go with the VW version, there is a big difference in price?

Thanks for any info
I had a quote from Monster Wraps for a half wrap. Whether top or bottom half it was £1,250 + VAT.

Trouble with a wrap is the finish looks terrible close up so need to avoid difficult colours like dark ones. You can get a spray wrap now that looks like original paint and is still removable. Topaz skin is an example. No idea on the cost.

I've ordered a T6.1 in Ascot Grey (due around April) and intend to wrap the lower half - most likely in a colour similar to Pure Grey. The two tone colours available from VW just didn't do it for me and wrapping only costs £700-£1000 rather than the extortionate £2,850.

I've never had a vehicle wrapped but I assume the quality of the end result comes down to the skill of the 'wrapper'.

We have been really impressed by the work of the guy at KJ wraps in Greenham, Newbury. We have seen several full and half wraps and other design work that he has done. He is doing some stripes on our van next week. I believe wraps should last about 7 years?

Trouble with a wrap is the finish looks terrible close up so need to avoid difficult colours like dark ones. You can get a spray wrap now that looks like original paint and is still removable. Topaz skin is an example. No idea on the cost.
Actually it looks perfect. I have one of mine done from Monster Wraps and it's fine. You can even machine polish it if you are careful. Do a search on the forum for "Top half wrap" and you will see my Acapulco blue and silver one. It looks ace.

Actually it looks perfect. I have one of mine done from Monster Wraps and it's fine. You can even machine polish it if you are careful. Do a search on the forum for "Top half wrap" and you will see my Acapulco blue and silver one. It looks ace.
I agree with you although I had mine clear wrapped Via Monster Wraps the quality of the product and their professionalism I wouldn’t doubt and no hesitation going back, also I believe it’s product life is 15 years.

To keep your van looking like new you should budget to have the van re-wrapped every 4 to 5 years

Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: lucht, wolk, boom en buiten

very happy with my wrap!
Color: Avery Pistachio

A good wrap can easily look as good as paint, but some points to remember:
1) It's cheaper than paint, but a good wrap is expensive.
2) It's not really a lifetime solution. Even the high quality wrap plastics are usually only expected to have a 5 year life span.
3) They will provide a degree of protection to paintwork, and they shouldn't fade over time but they will 'wear' to a degree - the vinyl is incredibly thin. A scratch that would buff out of paint/lacquer could potentially just peel a chunk of wrap off.

My car has been matt wrapped for over 7 years now (the matt is probably more prone to marking) and I have been delighted with it, but it is starting to wear now. It has few imperfections and a pressure washer even took a slither off, but it looked absolutely stunning when first done - no one could believe it was a wrap.

I'd love to get the Cali wrapped (as I'm not actually keen on the colour) but having experience with the car, I'm not sure I could warrant the expense for the whole vehicle when I fear that it may not stand up brilliantly to wild camping and bombing around deepest darkest Scotland as I do as often as possible!

Good luck whatever you decide.

A good wrap can easily look as good as paint, but some points to remember:
1) It's cheaper than paint, but a good wrap is expensive.
2) It's not really a lifetime solution. Even the high quality wrap plastics are usually only expected to have a 5 year life span.
3) They will provide a degree of protection to paintwork, and they shouldn't fade over time but they will 'wear' to a degree - the vinyl is incredibly thin. A scratch that would buff out of paint/lacquer could potentially just peel a chunk of wrap off.

My car has been matt wrapped for over 7 years now (the matt is probably more prone to marking) and I have been delighted with it, but it is starting to wear now. It has few imperfections and a pressure washer even took a slither off, but it looked absolutely stunning when first done - no one could believe it was a wrap.

I'd love to get the Cali wrapped (as I'm not actually keen on the colour) but having experience with the car, I'm not sure I could warrant the expense for the whole vehicle when I fear that it may not stand up brilliantly to wild camping and bombing around deepest darkest Scotland as I do as often as possible!

Good luck whatever you decide.
Thanks, a had a few replies on this subject, decided to go with the (expensive) VW 2 tone colour option, seen the Bay Leaf Green which looks great so will spec that, now just trying to decide on the 'Discover Media or Pro navigation system can then place our order. Thanks for everyones advice, very helpful forum.

To keep your van looking like new you should budget to have the van re-wrapped every 4 to 5 years
A good quality self healing wrap will last longer than 4/5 years, you get what you pay for.

A good quality self healing wrap will last longer than 4/5 years, you get what you pay for.
The problem is that even the best wrap material (3M & Avery) become brittle with age. It may still look fine after 7 years but it will be difficult and very time consuming to peel off as it will not come off as a sheet. It breaks and tears resulting in having to pick off lots and lots of small patches Thus more cost effect to replace after 5 years

I would go for a wrap rather than paint because of the wide range of colour options open to you compared to those offered by VW. A well done wrap looks every bit as good as a good paint job. Just as easy to lookafter (just stick to using a liquid wax or detailing spray instead of a hard wax).

You just need to budget to re-wrap after 5 years ideally, not because the wrap will have faded or is starting to peel but because if you leave it longer say 7 years + then the film will have become brittle the time. So come the time you want to restore an as new finish then peelling off the wrap can be much harder due to its brittleness.

I've ordered a T6.1 in Ascot Grey (due around April) and intend to wrap the lower half - most likely in a colour similar to Pure Grey. The two tone colours available from VW just didn't do it for me and wrapping only costs £700-£1000 rather than the extortionate £2,850.

I've never had a vehicle wrapped but I assume the quality of the end result comes down to the skill of the 'wrapper'.
HI,
You have a picture from your van? I want the same collor combination ;)

I thought VW had discontinued the bay leaf green 2 tone?!

Unless you’re buying a nearly new dealer stock or 2nd hand they don’t do that combo as a factory order anymore. If it is these your looking at I’d go factory all the way. Some of the wraps are amazing but you can’t beat, imho, the factory finish and attached warranty.

Ours:B4455206-0A45-454E-91AC-E842FAB376FA.jpeg

Also worth checking that your insurance company is ok with a wrap. A number won’t insure wrapped cars, others it’s not an issue.

Back