Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two tone spray

M

mforsyth

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all

Thinking of turning my candy white Beach two-tone...

Anyone done it and can recommend a paint shop somewhere in the South of England.

Also have no idea on the rough costs. Seems to be very conflicting information out there!

Thanks for any help.

I had a quote back at beginning of 2020 of £1368 Inc vat, to spray the bottom half of an indium grey California, from a local spray shop that l know and trust. Which at the time, seemed to be a similar sort of price to having bottom half wrap.
In the end I didn't go ahead with it. I'm still thinking about having midway wrap. That is the top half, but not including the roof, like they used to do the old T2.

Are you fixed on spray or would you consider a wrap? We had our grey California wrapped in a two tone blue and white by Monsterwraps in Hedge End, Southampton.
Fabulous job, adds protection to the underlying paintwork and is reversible. When we went there were lots of very expensive cars being wrapped and we’ve been delighted with the service and quality of work. F4EB6879-73F4-4516-A347-4D5AA402E85E.png

Why don’t VW offer some of these options rather than the pretty rubbish options we get in the UK. The silver and starlight blue looks good. Love the viper green and pale blue

Why don’t VW offer some of these options rather than the pretty rubbish options we get in the UK. The silver and starlight blue looks good. Love the viper green and pale blue
You would think considering how much VW charge for a two-tone, they would offer alot more choice, to encourage more customers to opt for a two-tone. VWUK don't even offer the colour choices that are available to other countries.

I

You would think considering how much VW charge for a two-tone, they would offer alot more choice, to encourage more customers to opt for a two-tone. VWUK don't even offer the colour choices that are available to other countries.

I
The vehicle has to be painted anyway but to put a premium of nearly £3k just for a 2 tone paint finish is ridiculous. It’s obviously much easier to do when it’s just a body shell but VW know they can charge it ...so they do...

The vehicle has to be painted anyway but to put a premium of nearly £3k just for a 2 tone paint finish is ridiculous. It’s obviously much easier to do when it’s just a body shell but VW know they can charge it ...so they do...
The two tone Calis are actually painted twice. the body is painted all white to star with then when that has cured its taken out of the production line to apply the second layer to the bottom half. Still doesnt justify £3k but its not like it costs them the same to do two tone as it does for a single.

The two tone Calis are actually painted twice. the body is painted all white to star with then when that has cured its taken out of the production line to apply the second layer to the bottom half. Still doesnt justify £3k but its not like it costs them the same to do two tone as it does for a single.
The primary colour is applied by machine the second is prepared, masked and applied manually by hand.

At least in the EU you can get a two-tone using a metallic silver as the base van colour, but I expect in the UK it would be an extra £4k if they used a metallic colour as the base colour.

At least in the EU you can get a two-tone using a metallic silver as the base van colour, but I expect in the UK it would be an extra £4k if they used a metallic colour as the base colour.
The only two tone I would ever have wanted was red and white, which they originally did at an extra cost of £2800. That seems to have bitten the dust in the UK but you can probably still get it on Mainland Europe.

The only two tone I would ever have wanted was red and white, which they originally did at an extra cost of £2800. That seems to have bitten the dust in the UK but you can probably still get it on Mainland Europe.
I love that one too - apparently it was the hardest colour for resale of Californias according to main dealers though.

One thing I didnt like about it was that it came with the red roof lining - that would have put me off a bit.

I do like the green/white two tone they do on the 6.1 also.

I love that one too - apparently it was the hardest colour for resale of Californias according to main dealers though.

One thing I didnt like about it was that it came with the red roof lining - that would have put me off a bit.

I do like the green/white two tone they do on the 6.1 also.
I would never have thought that the red and white would be difficult to sell but then I suppose the dealers know. It would have reminded me of out original T2 split screen kombi which we traveled round Australia in in the early 1970s. Only slightly more reliable..and fuel efficient...

Well it was the T1...guess you got the upgrade!

For interest, I believe that the second paint application by VW can be either the top (usually white) or the bottom (colour option). We found this when comparing two vans at Castleton CAMC site last year. A couple had the same bi-colour van as ours, white and green, as a paid for VW option. Their van was MY 21 and ours MY22. Their van was clearly a white panel van at birth, and the bottom then painted green; and ours appears to be a green panel van, and the top has been painted white. You can tell by looking at all the door openings etc. On their van these were all in white paint, and ours is green. I prefer the version we have - and it means the bonnet has an extra coat.

Back