Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two weeks in Europe ....

ajs

ajs

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, we are trying to plan a two week trip through (parts of ) Europe in our van with two children and a dog, in August this year.

We would like to do the Eurotunnel and possibly fit in Disney land Paris for one night for the little one.

Having thought about visiting relatives in Southern Spain, we have now realised that this would be too far and back in a fortnight.

Older son and husband would very much like to go Scandinavian style and incorporate LEGOLAND Billund in the trip.

Other that that we are fairly relaxed about where to go and would just love to see some amazing scenery and eat lovely local food ..... would be delighted to hear from anyone who has any itineraries.

Thanks

You must dicide witch part you want to travel , from Spain to Scandinavie would have you driving a lot .
Do know that the first two weeks in august are still busy by the second half it gets less crouwded on the roads and the touristic places ( specialy France)
We been three weeks to Norway in june last year and loved it!
The Alpes are great , in Austria ....great food !
France offcoarse !

If you like a place which is not very crowsy and good food I would recommend Gotland in Sweden.
If there was a place built for a Cali, it would be Gotland.
Some pictures here from my latest trip here:
https://jhellstrom.smugmug.com/Gotland-2013/

Thank you so much for sharing your photos, they are truly wonderful. Gotland looks very beautiful and I will be sure to do doing some more research on this area, I think we are definitely leaning towards Scandinavia!

Disn

Sounds like self harming to me..(only joking).

No I quite agree! Just feeling a bit guilty than we took our son when he was three and our daughter is now desperate to go!

You must dicide witch part you want to travel , from Spain to Scandinavie would have you driving a lot .
Do know that the first two weeks in august are still busy by the second half it gets less crouwded on the roads and the touristic places ( specialy France)
We been three weeks to Norway in june last year and loved it!
The Alpes are great , in Austria ....great food !
France offcoarse !

Thanks, unfortunately with school holidays and other hols already booked we are tied to August but will definitely take your recommendation that the latter half may be better. Scandinavia definitely looking favourite, just the travel over there concerning me as I didn't fancy a long ferry journey with a dog ... more research needed .... thanks

Thanks, unfortunately with school holidays and other hols already booked we are tied to August but will definitely take your recommendation that the latter half may be better. Scandinavia definitely looking favourite, just the travel over there concerning me as I didn't fancy a long ferry journey with a dog ... more research needed .... thanks

Did read my report on our trip to Norway last year?

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/three-weeks-south-and-mid-norway.10354/

Whereabouts are you based, would you use the Newcastle, Hull or Harwich ferry to Holland or Eurotnnel? It is a long drive to Scandinavia and back. We have relatives in Denmark and can recommend Legoland Billund, fantastic and not too bad with the queues etc. Very civilised. Lots of nice camping in Denmark too.

Also depends which part of Scandinavia. I lived in Norway for 10 years - ferry from Kristiansand to Denmark (can't remember which port) was not long and could leave dogs in car. We found hotels near either end that would take dogs which made planning to and from easy.
Norway is beautiful and definitely worth a visit. Just make sure you're realistic with your distances. You don't do so many km's per day on the roads - partly due to the winding undulating nature and partly due to wanting to stop and admire the sheer beauty surrounding you. My first trip was with an English guy who had lived there over 20 years and he was still wanting to stop very few km's to look at the view and take pics.

Whereabouts are you based, would you use the Newcastle, Hull or Harwich ferry to Holland or Eurotnnel? It is a long drive to Scandinavia and back. We have relatives in Denmark and can recommend Legoland Billund, fantastic and not too bad with the queues etc. Very civilised. Lots of nice camping in Denmark too.

Not too far from you in sunny Chorley (and I work in Lytham)! Eurotunnel would be favourite really with kids and dog. So current thinking maybe we could do Denmark from there with appropriately staged stops in Belgium, Holland and Germany (husband is not one for unplanned adventures!) - sounds good! Thanks for your post

Not too far from you in sunny Chorley (and I work in Lytham)! Eurotunnel would be favourite really with kids and dog. So current thinking maybe we could do Denmark from there with appropriately staged stops in Belgium, Holland and Germany (husband is not one for unplanned adventures!) - sounds good! Thanks for your post
My brother lives in Herning, Denmark and using the tunnel It is nearly 1000 miles so yes some nice stopovers needed. We haven't made the trip in the Cali yet so be interesting to see your itinerary and recommendations when you have completed your hols. :thumb

Reactions: ajs
Also depends which part of Scandinavia. I lived in Norway for 10 years - ferry from Kristiansand to Denmark (can't remember which port) was not long and could leave dogs in car. We found hotels near either end that would take dogs which made planning to and from easy.
Norway is beautiful and definitely worth a visit. Just make sure you're realistic with your distances. You don't do so many km's per day on the roads - partly due to the winding undulating nature and partly due to wanting to stop and admire the sheer beauty surrounding you. My first trip was with an English guy who had lived there over 20 years and he was still wanting to stop very few km's to look at the view and take pics.

Thanks ... I have found Kristiansand now and it seems you can sail to Hirtshals and Hantsholm. It may prove to be a little too far for us in two weeks but a plan is definitely forming ... just need to work out some road distances. But I would to visit Norway ....

My brother lives in Herning, Denmark and using the tunnel It is nearly 1000 miles so yes some nice stopovers needed. We haven't made the trip in the Cali yet so be interesting to see your itinerary and recommendations when you have completed your hols. :thumb

If you look at my tread on our trip to Norway we stayed at a nice free spot not far from the highway in Germany .
For me from home near Antwerp it was a few hours drive on our first day , so also can be done afther arriving in Calais.
The next morning we drove to Hirtshals ....

Edit:
Here the link
http://www.campercontact.com/en/germany/niedersachsen/sittensen.aspx?filter=|

Thanks ... definitely .. will let you know :)

OK so I think we have a rough route in mind .... Eurotunnel to Calais and dropping down to Disneyland Paris area for two nights. Leaving there via Reims and through the champagne region before working our way up through Germany (Fairy Tale route?, for the kids!, possibly combining the Wine Route for mum and dad!) to Denmark and LEGOLAND. Then returning via Holland and Belgium along the coast to Calais. Any suggestions of sites on the way would be welcome.

Delighted to learn that there are four scenic driving routes through Germany - the Romantic Road through Bavaria (which would be favourite really), the German Castle Road (from Mannheim to Prague), the Fairy Tale Road (from Hanau to Bremen) and the Wine Road (from Schweigen to Bockenheim).

Last edited:
Following with interest as we're trying to plan our 2 week Europe trip too - travelling Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry so plan a drive through Germany and then on from there....maybe to Switzerlamd or northern Italy, but only our second euro trip with the kids so trying to think of them and plan ahead without being too ambitious

We did a mini tour loop around East and south east France + Disneyland last year. Stayed at the 4 vents campsite which was only a 10 min easy drive to Disney (if you stay for the fireworks make sure you get back to the site in time for gates closing!) - lovely site, well organised, good facilities, nice owners and huge pitches - pool was a bit chilly, but then we'd just travelled up from the south of France so were used to that warmer climate! OR you can stay overnight in the motorhome car park at Disney for around 15€ - basic facilities as they're for coach drivers, but fine for just tumbling into bed at the end of the night then an early start the next day (just pack your wet wipes!).

I'd always chose Scandinavia, especially in August. Too crowded in central Europe.

Hi I'm researching a family trip to Scandinavia this Summer. I'm wondering how your trip went and if you have any tips?

We're thinking of two weeks. Trying to decide between Eurotunnel or the Hook of Holland Ferry. We're keen to visit Legoland and take in some lovely scenery and food.

Thanks in advance.