Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre change

Explorer

Explorer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I feel somewhat possible silly asking this - but we would like to change our tyres to all weathers (keeping size so nothing more). Is it necessary to use a VW van centre for this or is it okay to use someone like ATS?

Just wondering if there is any recommendation?
thanks

Shop around for best deal, certainly very unlikely to be VW.
Lots of advice on suitable tyres available if required.

If you have 215/60/17 tyres this Blackcircles deal today (15% off) is worth going for.

Shop around for best deal, certainly very unlikely to be VW.
Lots of advice on suitable tyres available if required.

If you have 215/60/17 tyres this Blackcircles deal today (15% off) is worth going for.

perfect thanks

Also if you are running 215/60/17 you may want to consider 235/55/17 instead.
Same rolling diameter and an original fitment size but run at much lower pressures so improves the ride comfort. You can run Crossclimates in that size for example.

Tyre pressure guide from a T5.1:
1623083207297.png

Also if you are running 215/60/17 you may want to consider 235/55/17 instead.
Same rolling diameter and an original fitment size but run at much lower pressures so improves the ride comfort. You can run Crossclimates in that size for example.

Tyre pressure guide from a T5.1:
View attachment 79685
I can vouch for the improved ride comfort of the 235/55/17. The dealership had over-inflated them and the drive home was very rough. Remembered someone on here saying that tyre pressures are a factor, checked and adjusted the pressures and the ride has improved significantly.

perfect thanks
As BJG says Michelin Agilis Crossclimate I can testify just changed to them and they are all they are cracked up to be. Great tyre. And as Drpps says go up to the 235’s

I run 235/55/17s on my T5.1. With the lower pressures I'm guessing they are very slightly less fuel efficient than the 215/60s but not by anything worth worrying about.

There's a lot more choice in all-seasons tyres now than a couple of years ago, which can make choosing harder. But people on this forum (including me) seem to have been very happy with Michelin Cross Climates or Goodyear Vector 4Seasons.

I run 235/55/17s on my T5.1. With the lower pressures I'm guessing they are very slightly less fuel efficient than the 215/60s but not by anything worth worrying about.

There's a lot more choice in all-seasons tyres now than a couple of years ago, which can make choosing harder. But people on this forum (including me) seem to have been very happy with Michelin Cross Climates or Goodyear Vector 4Seasons.
Yeah - had decided in the Michelin cross climates agillis after lots of research on this wonderful forum - and have them on my car too (have 16’s on the Cali and 17’s on the car).
Now just to keep an eye for a good deal. Don’t think I will wait til end of summer in case there a shortage of these too!

Yeah - had decided in the Michelin cross climates agillis after lots of research on this wonderful forum - and have them on my car too (have 16’s on the Cali and 17’s on the car).
Just bear in mind that the Agilis version is a commercial van tyre, with fully reinforced sidewalls and 107 load rating (I think). Whereas most Cali owners I'd expect go for the non-Agilis version which is termed an "SUV" type with a 103 load rating.

The Agilis version will be tougher and probably will wear better, but they are more expensive than the SUV spec.

Just bear in mind that the Agilis version is a commercial van tyre, with fully reinforced sidewalls and 107 load rating (I think). Whereas most Cali owners I'd expect go for the non-Agilis version which is termed an "SUV" type with a 103 load rating.

The Agilis version will be tougher and probably will wear better, but they are more expensive than the SUV
Thanks - I looked at the SUV but they don’t seeem to be available for the ratings listed on my van’s sticker for 16’s- at least via black circles. Will def look around.

20330103-DCE8-45C7-A6A8-02828DF70013.png

I’m looking to get a set of Michelin CrossClimates. I have 17” wheels and want the 235 size tyre rather than 215 so it looks like a choice between the ‘+’ version or the SUV version. Both appear to meet the load and speed requirements.

Not really sure what is the difference though. Same price but the ‘+’ version has a £40 off a set of 4 offer.

Is the SUV version a better bet for a Cali though?

I’m looking to get a set of Michelin CrossClimates. I have 17” wheels and want the 235 size tyre rather than 215 so it looks like a choice between the ‘+’ version or the SUV version. Both appear to meet the load and speed requirements.

Not really sure what is the difference though. Same price but the ‘+’ version has a £40 off a set of 4 offer.

Is the SUV version a better bet for a Cali though?
I'm happy with my SUV version, but the + weren't around when I bought mine. Now on my 2nd full set. 20,000 miles /set but I do change early at 3+mm tread depth. This is on a 4Motion.

I'd go for the SUV version as has stronger sidewalls and soak up pothole better. I've gone for the 235/60/17 106V version which definitely improved comfort. Speedo has no error now.

I feel somewhat possible silly asking this - but we would like to change our tyres to all weathers (keeping size so nothing more). Is it necessary to use a VW van centre for this or is it okay to use someone like ATS?

Just wondering if there is any recommendation?
thanks

Now just to keep an eye for a good deal. Don’t think I will wait til end of summer in case there a shortage of these too!
Same here! No going back. Drive really well with no sig impact on mpg either. Got a great deal with about 15% discount last week on 4 tyres with kwikfit.

01012339-F33E-43E2-9546-244EB6BE3D96.jpeg

Could I jump in and ask a couple of novice questions as I would also like to make the chang to 235 cross climates:

Can I change the front to 235 and leave the back at 215 until they wear down?

Is it OK to fit cross climates to a 2WD as some websites say that they are for 4WD?

Thanks all

Mike

Some cars come with different tyre sizes front and back, but same size on each axel. However, they are designed this way and their suspension geometries set up accordingly. Suggest you ask VW if their vans can accommodate such a set up, I suspect the answer will be "no". If "no", and you do it, then your insurance company may have something to say, as well as the police, in the event of an accident.

I have Mitchlin Agilis on my 2WD, they are great.