Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre Choice

mountainman

mountainman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a 2011 Cali Berghaus which was fitted new with 255/45 R18 103Y Continental Conti Sport Contact 3s. I got 18,000 miles out of these having changed them front to back at mid-life.

When it came to replacing them, I found there are a bewildering range of makes, ratings and options and performance stats etc.

The van really isn't good in the snow with those wide rims and two-wheel drive and I don't use it much in the winter, so I have opted for summer tyres that have good rain performance as it is mostly used in Scotland.

I have just had fitted a set of 255/45 R18 Y XL Uniroyal Rain Sport 3s. Does anyone have any experience with these? I noted they didn't have the 103 load rating marked on the tyre but have just phoned Uniroyal who confirm that if this size tyre has XL marked on it, then its 103.

I have been considering fitting these tyres. What were your experiences with them? Noise, economy, handling, braking...

We have a 2011 Cali 180 was fitted with Dunlop SP Sport 235 55 R17 I have done 27,000 miles and think I have about 1,000 miles left.
I did the usual changing of tyres from front-back and vice-versa around 15,000 miles.
I am due to replace them soon and will certainly be buying the same tyre again.

I was looking at the uniroyal Rain Sport 3 a week ago and there are lots of good reviews for them. Seems like they excel in the rain (naturally) and pretty good on rolling resistance, but a little higher than average on road noise, but not by much. Wear was reportedly good but not amazing and the price is appreciably lower than Contis/Dunlops etc. Look like a great tyre with superb grip in rainy British conditions.

An alternative to summer tyres is an all-season with excellent rolling resistance and good dry performance. Goodyear 4Seasons Vector 2 are excellent in seem to come at the top or close in all the reviews they are included in. They are a little behind dedicated summer tyres in hot dry weather but miles ahead in snow, mud and ice.

I will be selling my new wheels from my Beach and either buying seperate summer + winter rims with tyres fitted, or going for 17" all seasons.

I have a 2011 Cali Berghaus which was fitted new with 255/45 R18 103Y Continental Conti Sport Contact 3s. I got 18,000 miles out of these having changed them front to back at mid-life.

When it came to replacing them, I found there are a bewildering range of makes, ratings and options and performance stats etc.

The van really isn't good in the snow with those wide rims and two-wheel drive and I don't use it much in the winter, so I have opted for summer tyres that have good rain performance as it is mostly used in Scotland.

I have just had fitted a set of 255/45 R18 Y XL Uniroyal Rain Sport 3s. Does anyone have any experience with these? I noted they didn't have the 103 load rating marked on the tyre but have just phoned Uniroyal who confirm that if this size tyre has XL marked on it, then its 103.

+1 for Goodyear 4 Seasons. Excellent grip in the rain. Fuel consumption decreased by 1 mpg.

Anyone seem any 235/55/17 Vector 4 seasons Generation 2 (103V) for sale in real life or on the web (not at tyreleader who by all accounts are thiefs if the forums are to be believed)

All I can find are generation 1's in 103H and Im off to Alps early March so need to change soon. Ive Dunlop Sport Maxx which have only done 12k miles on right now but guess I'll just leave those in the shed until I sell the van.... figured the campsites might be easier in summer with an all seasons tyre...

I was looking for the same tyre myself but you can only get them in 215/60/17 or 225/55/17 its worth taking a look on the T5 forum as there are a few guys over there who are selling full sets of tyres on 17" steel rims for less than you buys a full set of tyres for.

Forgot to mention its worth asking WelshGas what tyre size he is running

235/55/R17/103H Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons XL all round.
Couldn't get V rated. H rated to 130mph. I know I get a move on but nowhere near that speed.
Very difficult to get hold of. Major on-line sites were of no help. My local garage got them and fitted them.
Very happy. No excess noise. Excellent in the rain. Does hit fuel consumption a little.

Online sites and local garage seem to have no problem getting the 103H's - its the 103V's that are like gold dust. Its not the speed rating that I need it for (obviously!) its just the tyres are a bit better in snow etc in their second iteration. I'll get some H's for sure if cant find them. No big deal.
The T5 (and ebay) sellers mostly sell wheels of vans- are Goodyear Cargo Vectors - they are pretty good van tyres - last for ages - and can take heavier loads - but not quite the "deluxe tyre" that the SUV/car line offer. Im a sad tyre snob - too many years of spending 50 pounds a pop on mountain bike race tyres to maximise my less than stellar ability :)

I was running 235/55/R17/103H Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons XL all round swapped them to Dunlop SP LT 60 215/60 R17 104H as the Goodyears were not very good in snow.

I have been considering fitting these tyres. What were your experiences with them? Noise, economy, handling, braking...
Sorry about the rather delayed response. Replaced the Rainsport 3s with same in January. I'm getting 18,000 miles from them which includes changing front to back at mid-life. Total cost from VW commercial dealer in Aberdeen £450. They drive very well. I wondered if they were up to the smaller, rougher Scottish Highland roads but I have had no problem with them. No punctures, no chunks out of them, no bulges. Despite this I also had a spare wheel fitted in January with a steel wheel and budget tyre at a cost of £238.

Sorry about the rather delayed response. Replaced the Rainsport 3s with same in January. I'm getting 18,000 miles from them which includes changing front to back at mid-life. Total cost from VW commercial dealer in Aberdeen £450. They drive very well. I wondered if they were up to the smaller, rougher Scottish Highland roads but I have had no problem with them. No punctures, no chunks out of them, no bulges. Despite this I also had a spare wheel fitted in January with a steel wheel and budget tyre at a cost of £238.
How have you found the Rainsport 3's over the Continentals in mud / snow / ice etc? I'm in the same choice dilemma as you were (same size) and read good reviews of these. Thanks :)

I´ve just got 2 delivered Conti 235/55/18 101 h. m+s. cost 295 €uro. In january the price was 370 €

Back