Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre pressure sensors

DoctorBob

DoctorBob

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi all
Stupid question alert: if you order a t6.1 with the TPS option and don’t specify the optional 18inch options, can you reuse the wheel sensors in new wheels bought aftermarket?
Also - the option for upstairs net only comes with the 2nd drawer option - does the loss of the through load facility cause any issues out there?
cheers
Rob

If you specifically order the direct TPMS The sensors are attached to the inside of the valve so you have to swap the valve and sensor over to your new wheels.
you can also buy a set of aftermarket sensors for second sets of wheels if you don’t want the hassle, or you are running summer and winter wheels.

Could somebody explain how those
air sensors work.

Ive drove for hours trying to work it out :)

Back of a fag packet sketch would help me.

I clicked on it and decided that i will read that
on a rainy day, could be tomorrow.
Thanks for the info. :thumb i didn't even know it was
called TPMS.:headbang

Its sensor on the back of a tyre valve with a wireless transmitter.
Designed as part of the valve purely as a means of securing it to the rim.

When the batteries go flat its a pain, on other cars Ive had them last as little as 2 1/2 years - new sensor required at £125 a wheel + remove & refix tyre etc to get to them & code replacement to the car. We were also unable to move wheels round on the car without recoding.

I don't know how the cali system works with fitting winter wheels - can the driver pair the sensors with the valve themselves or is it a VCS job?

Anyone know if the Spare comes with a sensor as well for remote monitoring of pressure?

If you specifically order the direct TPMS The sensors are attached to the inside of the valve so you have to swap the valve and sensor over to your new wheels.
you can also buy a set of aftermarket sensors for second sets of wheels if you don’t want the hassle, or you are running summer and winter wheels.
Thanks - do you know If there are TPMS sensors included as standard or is the option you can tick an alternative to the standard?

Its sensor on the back of a tyre valve with a wireless transmitter.
Designed as part of the valve purely as a means of securing it to the rim.

When the batteries go flat its a pain, on other cars Ive had them last as little as 2 1/2 years - new sensor required at £125 a wheel + remove & refix tyre etc to get to them & code replacement to the car. We were also unable to move wheels round on the car without recoding.

I don't know how the cali system works with fitting winter wheels - can the driver pair the sensors with the valve themselves or is it a VCS job?

Anyone know if the Spare comes with a sensor as well for remote monitoring of pressure?
A year ago I had my wheels rotated front to back. The tire shop didn't mention recoding. I watched while they did it. Maybe it's only if you switch sides. It's been in since for a VW service and no error codes were found. Maybe mine is the simpler ABS based wheel speed system.

Last edited:
I haven’t looked at a T6.1 price list since lockdown but seem to remember it was about a £125 option

A year ago I had my wheels rotated front to back. The tire shop didn't mention recoding. I watched while they did it. Maybe it's only if you switch sides. It's been in since for a VW service and no error codes were found.
You would only know when the system tells you you have a flat on the front when your puncture is actually on the back - must admit I’m not up to speed on current vw offering only had it on porsche and Mercedes on newer cars.

the only benefit over the basic system is being able to see actual tyre pressure

A year ago I had my wheels rotated front to back. The tire shop didn't mention recoding. I watched while they did it. Maybe it's only if you switch sides. It's been in since for a VW service and no error codes were found.
Have you got the Direct or Indirect TPMS system?

As far as I am aware the Indirect TPMS has been standard on the VW California since at least 2014 and possibly earlier than that.
This system uses the ABS system measuring the rotational speed and hence inflated circumference. If a tyre loses pressure the inflated circumference alters and you get a Dashboard indication to check All Tyres.
The Direct TPMS measures the actual pressure and shows the tyre pressure for each wheel.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
As far as I am aware the Indirect TPMS has been standard on the VW California since at least 2014 and possibly earlier than that.
This system uses the ABS system measuring the rotational speed and hence inflated circumference. If a tyre loses pressure the inflated circumference alters and you get a Dashboard indication to check All Tyres.
The Direct TPMS measures the actual pressure and shows the tyre pressure for each wheel.
I agree - just checked its a £156 option for the Direct TPMS on a T6.1 which uses specific sensors transmitters in the wheel, this should display individual tyre pressures.
As against the indirect TPMS system fitted by law since 2014 which just warns of a loss of pressure by calculating there is a reduced circumference of the wheel by using the ABS sensors

I agree - just checked its a £156 option for the Direct TPMS on a T6.1 which uses specific sensors transmitters in the wheel, this should display individual tyre pressures.
As against the indirect TPMS system fitted by law since 2014 which just warns of a loss of pressure by calculating there is a reduced circumference of the wheel by using the ABS sensors

great - thanks all

Could somebody explain how those
air sensors work.

Ive drove for hours trying to work it out :)

Back of a fag packet sketch would help me.
I purchased a second set for my winter wheels on the Touareg they look like this and as mentioned before transmit to a receiver in each wheel arch.

IMG_1229.jpeg
IMG_0649.jpeg

I purchased a second set for my winter wheels on the Touareg they look like this and as mentioned before transmit to a receiver in each wheel arch.
Blimey! I bet those take a bit of balancing out.