Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK walking maps for Cali-travel

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Couldn't find an existing thread on this, maybe not looking hard enough. Must be a common enough question though.

When touring in Cali (in UK) we often don't know quite where we'll end up but know we'll want to do some walking. I have a Garmin GPS (with OS 1:50k maps installed) but really like to use a paper map, 1:25k ideally, for route planning and actually to carry with me, as I prefer to use the GPS only as a backstop.

To buy the whole range of OS Explorer maps - 470 sheets in total - would be about £3,000 and of course I'd need a second Cali to carry them all.

On planned walks from home etc I print out 25k mapping for my intended route from Bing Maps (and I know you can buy the whole set on a disk from Memory Map although that's a couple of hundred quid for the whole of GB). But ether way I need to print them when away from home. So... I was thinking of buying a small portable printer (like an HP 460) to take in the van and print to order. Has anyone done that, or any other bright ideas??

I have an Epson portable printer for just that purpose.

Snuggles up in the bench seat drawer cushioned by the clothes that I keep there, charges up via USB.

£2,800 cheaper than a complete set of maps and about 400 cubic feet less space taken up.

I use memory map on the iPad 1:25 and 1:50 os maps on it..

Driving overland use motion-x with open cycle map maps

I have an Epson portable printer for just that purpose.

Snuggles up in the bench seat drawer cushioned by the clothes that I keep there, charges up via USB.

£2,800 cheaper than a complete set of maps and about 400 cubic feet less space taken up.

Thanks GJ, which Epson printer do you use, is it the Workforce model?

I would justify the purchase by telling myself that it would be useful to have a spare printer at home also, for the times our main one is playing up. :rolleyes:

(And I can't believe you actually worked out the volume that would be occupied by 470 folded Explorer maps, but I'm rather afraid you may have done...) :eek:

I use memory map on the iPad 1:25 and 1:50 os maps on it.

Radical idea, walking with a tablet computer. But I can see if it was a handy size that could be a practical option, thanks. Maybe I need to move away from paper maps (although they still feel so GOOOOD).

Thanks GJ, which Epson printer do you use, is it the Workforce model?

I would justify the purchase by telling myself that it would be useful to have a spare printer at home also, for the times our main one is playing up. :rolleyes:

(And I can't believe you actually worked out the volume that would be occupied by 470 folded Explorer maps, but I'm rather afraid you may have done...) :eek:

I was using tablets but no more.

Downside was sunshine, or even just a cloudy day.

Of course the other downside is falling flat on ones face trying to read it, a real possibility on rough terrain, fells, coast-path etc.

Workforce 100 or whatever it's called. Very droppable, survived being kicked of interior table.

Radical idea, walking with a tablet computer. But I can see if it was a handy size that could be a practical option, thanks. Maybe I need to move away from paper maps (although they still feel so GOOOOD).
I keep it in a nice padded sholder bag from STM.. iPad pro is plenty bright enough and lasts all day, as like a paper map you only refer to it not stare at it whist walking..

Try maps.me brilliant free and covers the whole world. We've used it in Borneo, the US and all over Europe. You can download parts of countries and it gives you cycle tracks and paths.

We're in Holland at the moment and I've downloaded the bits we need for our trip. It's great when you come to a junction and you're not sure where one of the routes goes. (It's all brilliantly signposted in Holland of course but sometimes you want to check where one route comes out vs another.)

In the uk it includes bridleways and rights of way so 1000% better than Google maps. As the previous post said you don't walk along with the tablet or phone in front of your nose but use it to make sure you're on the right track. If you're into contours it doesn't do that but being off line and using GPS you find you don't really need that.

We also use it when we're driving somewhere we've never been and arrive at a point where we're not sure. A maps.me moment ensues and once we're located on the map, off we go in the right direction.

Try if out - you won't be disappointed.

Workforce 100 or whatever it's called. Very droppable, survived being kicked of interior table.

Good to know. I have some experience with the HP equivalent (HP460/470 range), which work well generally but I broke one once while travelling so I'm a tiny bit wary of them.

Try maps.me brilliant free and covers the whole world. We've used it in Borneo, the US and all over Europe. You can download parts of countries and it gives you cycle tracks and paths.

Thanks Bramco. I'm aware of Maps.me, which is one of a growing number of apps using the OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps dataset.

OSM is a brilliant innovation and great for general navigation almost anywhere in the world, and certainly it's much better than Google Maps in many places.

However in the UK the OSM mapping is not (yet) any kind of match for Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 mapping - as you say, it doesn't have contours for one thing. You still really need the Ordnance Survey maps to go walking on the hills in the UK and I wouldn't want to explain myself to a mountain rescue guy why I didn't have one if I got myself stuck on top of a crag in the cloud.

Incidentally, for interest here's a snippet of the same UK uplands area in OSM (as used in Maps.me and many other apps) versus OS 25k mapping:
OSM and OS 25k - Scafell area.jpg

Incidentally, for interest here's a snippet of the same UK uplands area in OSM (as used in Maps.me and many other apps) versus OS 25k mapping:
View attachment 16153

I know that map well :shocked

In my day we all knew someone was carrying a map because they dangled it from their necks in one of those map carrier thingy .....

and when you've been out for half the day or night looking for someone in the drizzle, fog, or other murkiness, and finally found them, then good odds that either: nice map but no compass or: wrong map or no map.

Horses for courses but I still like the folding stuff, however the issue also with self-printed maps ..... one drop of rain.........

You're right of course about the level of detail. And I have fond memories of scafell pike from my youth.

It's horses for courses of course and if all you do is fell walking, then you need the right maps. I'd still argue that a phone with an osm app is still invaluable even up there for discerning one track from another if you think you may have taken a wrong turn.

We tend to walk further down the slopes, we're currently doing the paths through the national forest and maps.me is plenty good enough for this. Although if I already have the OS map then I might also take a photocopy of the relevant section, only because it's a bit quicker to whip it out, so to speak, than a tablet or phone.

Just out of interest do you carry a compass these days or do you rely on a phone app?

Just out of interest do you carry a compass these days or do you rely on a phone app?

Silva compass over the phone app every time. Except when I forget to take it out of the rear cupboard in the Cali when I set off on foot.:sad

Silva compass over the phone app every time. Except when I forget to take it out of the rear cupboard in the Cali when I set off on foot.:sad
Aah silva compass and map in a carrying case, not forgetting the chinagraph pencil. Brings it all back to me now. :bananadance

Download garmin basecamp software for free, connect your garmin GPS to the laptop and you have access to all the mapping data that is on the GPS. You can plan routes, download your track and print out a paper copy if you have a mobile printer. Also after planning the route on the laptop you could then upload the route to the GPS handheld if required.

Download garmin basecamp software for free, connect your garmin GPS to the laptop and you have access to all the mapping data that is on the GPS. You can plan routes, download your track and print out a paper copy if you have a mobile printer. Also after planning the route on the laptop you could then upload the route to the GPS handheld if required.

Thanks Iain, I was aware of Garmin's Basecamp s/w although must admit I've never played with it.

Still requires a printer in the van of course... maybe I'll have to think about getting an Epson Workforce or similar and then get rid of some of the gear in the back that I've been carting round and never used yet. Maybe the leveling ramps. Although they might be needed as chocks on a bad slope. Damn.

Thanks Iain, I was aware of Garmin's Basecamp s/w although must admit I've never played with it.

Still requires a printer in the van of course... maybe I'll have to think about getting an Epson Workforce or similar and then get rid of some of the gear in the back that I've been carting round and never used yet. Maybe the leveling ramps. Although they might be needed as chocks on a bad slope. Damn.

you will not need to make much room.

The workforce fits neatly into the bench drawer,perfect height, the widest part running horizontal along the front or rear end and the slimmest part protruding into the drawer.

Couldn't find an existing thread on this, maybe not looking hard enough. Must be a common enough question though.

When touring in Cali (in UK) we often don't know quite where we'll end up but know we'll want to do some walking. I have a Garmin GPS (with OS 1:50k maps installed) but really like to use a paper map, 1:25k ideally, for route planning and actually to carry with me, as I prefer to use the GPS only as a backstop.

To buy the whole range of OS Explorer maps - 470 sheets in total - would be about £3,000 and of course I'd need a second Cali to carry them all.

On planned walks from home etc I print out 25k mapping for my intended route from Bing Maps (and I know you can buy the whole set on a disk from Memory Map although that's a couple of hundred quid for the whole of GB). But ether way I need to print them when away from home. So... I was thinking of buying a small portable printer (like an HP 460) to take in the van and print to order. Has anyone done that, or any other bright ideas??

I've got the Hp 460 printer, managed to liberate it from work when I retired. Works a treat as a backup and for carrying around so second GJs comments.
Not sure abouit the £2800 saving though if you printed out all the OS maps.:(;)

I've got the Hp 460 printer, managed to liberate it from work when I retired. Works a treat as a backup and for carrying around so second GJs comments.
Not sure abouit the £2800 saving though if you printed out all the OS maps.:(;)

The £2,800 saving is in salary costs! The team of native porters that I need to cart all the stuff around as I'm having a gentle stroll along a coast path somewhere!

I always have to smile at the thoughts of walking LE- JoG the first time. Often 4 maps, reams of paper notes, compass of course, 3 tons of loose change for telephone boxes. the "mobile" phone was in the support vehicle, one of those early racal things, handset and a lead acid battery.

Pop in a bit of lunch, a drink, a change of clothes - (Goretex then was a hugely expensive innovation) and the rucksack would weigh more than me.

Today a mobile does the lot :D

You can down load OS maps from Streetmaps.com.The maps have all the detail including contours that you would expect on an OS sheet.
I download the area where we are walking in A4 sections which I then put in a water proof pouch with a clear side so that you can see the map.
Before leaving I mark our route on the individual maps with a stabile marker and also number them so i know where I am as we walk. And then throw away the used A4 sheets afterwards as they are usually pretty manky by then.
More difficult to do form the Cali I would admit but from home it is the best way that I have found.

Thanks David. I find the limitation with both Streetmap and Bing is that the print function only gives you a very tiny map extent at the scale I want (1:25k usually), so I resort to screen-grabbing a larger view and then importing it into PowerPoint to print out. Which is a bit faffy but okay when starting out from home.

We can assume that OS has limited the extents of its mapping that it allows Bing et al's websites to print, in order to protect sales of OS's own products. (If only our national mapping agency issued its data as a 'public good', as in USA and many other countries. Quite likely the current government will privatise OS, then we'll end up paying even more for something else we already owned...end of slightly political rant.)

Following the earlier good suggestion on this thread I've downloaded and played with Garmin Basecamp which can use the OS mapping on my GPS. 1:50k only though for me, I'm too mean to pay £300 for the full GB at 25k, maybe I'll treat myself one day.

Thanks David. I find the limitation with both Streetmap and Bing is that the print function only gives you a very tiny map extent at the scale I want (1:25k usually), so I resort to screen-grabbing a larger view and then importing it into PowerPoint to print out. Which is a bit faffy but okay when starting out from home.

We can assume that OS has limited the extents of its mapping that it allows Bing et al's websites to print, in order to protect sales of OS's own products. (If only our national mapping agency issued its data as a 'public good', as in USA and many other countries. Quite likely the current government will privatise OS, then we'll end up paying even more for something else we already owned...end of slightly political rant.)

Following the earlier good suggestion on this thread I've downloaded and played with Garmin Basecamp which can use the OS mapping on my GPS. 1:50k only though for me, I'm too mean to pay £300 for the full GB at 25k, maybe I'll treat myself one day.
Yes, you're right VD you do get a small map,(well just under A4) but one of the objections to an OS map is that it is so big! IN the rain and wind, as has been discussed not good.
However, taking a series of prints I end up with a 'booklet' of 4 or 5 sheets which, in a clear water proof folder give a very convenient walking map. Periodically you have to change the sheet as the walk progresses but, the ease of use I think makes it worth the hassle.

I wish that Velma's dad had called her Olivia or something :(

I would rather refer to OD than VD .......:shocked

Back