Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ultimate T4 Westfalia

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone, so as my search and research begins, I just want to get opinions as to which model is the ultimate T4.
Obviously I want to get the best T4 I can when I buy.
I have looked at some of the model history and the freestyle looks like the latest model.

Regards Padraic.

Mine is the best model [obviously ;)] but the most popular will always be the late pop tops 2003 150hp versions. Although the fabric patterns changed a bit (event / freestyle / generation), I think that's the only thing that varied. The rest of the van's were identical. I'm not aware of a hierarchy in that late trim levels.

If you find a late, low-mid miles untouched 150hp, then I wouldn't worry about the trim level, just get it bought!

Get in the queue !!

Yea I think a 2003 150hp would be great alright, will be difficult to get the budget together, but it makes sense to buy right first time if possible.

Hi,
I saw you had an earlier post about looking in Poptop in the Netherlands, so if you're considering looking there, then maybe take a look at these sites... Germany will be your best bet for sheer numbers (though of course its a big old place so you will need to be prepared to drive around if you want to see some):
http://www.mobile.de/?lang=en
https://www.autoscout24.com/?genlnk=navi&genlnkorigin=de-all-all-home
also:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-vw-t4-california/k0

Then in the netherlands I also checked:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/z/vw-cali...rnia t4&sortBy=standaard&sortOrder=decreasing

I can't comment on the import procedure for Ireland, but if you take the vehicle from Germany we managed to do all the paperwork and get the transit plates and insurance all in a morning and drove the van back the same day - though my Mrs is German and that certainly helped, but a lot of folks speak good English there so you should be ok... (All that at least got us home with our new toy, the import process in Belgium was a little stressful, but still only took a day to turn things around...). You'd have to check the specifics for your own circumstances... If you trailer one home, then you wouldn't have to bother with transit plates etc...

When we were looking, we focused our search on a region, lined up viewings (eventually saw around 10-12 over a weekend!) and then decided on one of those and went back to collect it a few weeks later (basically because we needed a weekday to go to the relevant offices for the paperwork) - so far happy with our choice!

Prices range from mid-teens for a decent 1997 onward's to mid to late 20's (euros) for a late plate low mileage model. There are some very tidy vans out there if you're prepared to travel to see them;)

Happy hunting!:thumb

Hi and thanks for the detailed information. Yes I'd say its defiantly worth looking in Germany also. I'm already enjoying the research and learning more about these campers.

Hi and thanks for the detailed information. Yes I'd say its defiantly worth looking in Germany also. I'm already enjoying the research and learning more about these campers.

Thats indeed a fun part of the process!
Just be careful though when looking at these vans, watch out for the ringers (the multivans, caravelles & transporters that have been converted - more than likely with the interior from some poor bugger's stolen California!).

Check the paperwork thoroughly - if the original documents don't say California, then probably best to walk away. Check the service books too, if they don't tally with the mileage or look tampered with, then also a bad sign... Saw a couple of these vans during my search - one claimed to be a California, but there were just too many telltale signs - a colour that didn't seem like one offered for the Cali, the mileage that was not tallying (said 169k but turned out in the end to be nearer 350k!), the interior (which was expertly fitted) that somehow didn't match the specifications relevant for the model year and the final blow, the documents that stated 'multivan' as the model... The link above from Calibusje, is a great source of info - get to know the model specs, revisions and signs of what is correct for particular model year and you'll be well armed to spot the potential dodgy vans...

Also, when viewing, play with everything in the van - pop the roof (check for neat installation - another sign of a non-factory original), spin the seats, try the tap (though if there's no water in the tank don't try it for long!), try the gas burners, run the night-heater, switch the fridge on, flip the bed... Try EVERYTHING - cos anything that doesn't work properly will cost you later... Check there's nothing missing (the table is a sneaky one!), saw one where the rear mattress was missing... things easily overlooked, but additional costs...

You might also be lucky to find a van with all the extras too, look out for awnings (again, test it), thermal window/roof covers, bike racks, etc... Accessories aren't cheap and having these thrown in will save you a lot of money adding later...

I'm no expert on these vans (still very much a newby myself), but doing your homework before going to view can save you a lot of trouble... And remember, if its too good to be true, then most likely it is...

Hope you find that van of your dreams! :thumb

Don't forget to check the battery charging setup.
Mine didn't have the correct original charger. It does now. I'm anal about original kit

Thanks everyone for the replies so far, all this information in so valuable.
I would be of a similar thinking, I like things to be perfect an complete with original factory fitted equipment.

;)
...just to follow up on the point of the 'fake' vans, here is what the first page inside my service manual looks like - If it doesn't say 'California' here, then be wary - there is also normally a copy of this information stuck somewhere in the drivers footwell area - they should be the same - also, maybe a given, but check the VIN numbers on the paperwork match the ones on the van...
example service book first page.jpg
:D

Thanks for the tips so far. I have done a lot of reading on the http://www.westfaliat4.info website. However I have a few questions about some of the spec of the campers.
The night time diesel heater, is this fitted as standard and does it heat water?
What do people use for toilets when not at a campsite?
Does a California come with a mattress that goes on top of the seats when folded down?
Is air con standard?

Regards Padraic

One more question, dos the fridge run on electricity or gas?

The night time diesel heater, is this fitted as standard and does it heat water?
What do people use for toilets when not at a campsite?
Does a California come with a mattress that goes on top of the seats when folded down?
Is air con standard?

- No hot water in a Cali. We use a kettle. The only ones I've seen without a heater have been imported from Japan.
- a Portapotty, or local public conveniences.
- No, never felt the need for one. They are available though, one of the suppliers on here does one.
- No idea about late models. Certainly not on early models.

One more question, dos the fridge run on electricity or gas?

- Electricity. They are 12v compressor fridges, not 3 way absorbtion. They work much better, especially in hot weather.

hth

Last edited:
Edit : Dan beat me to it!
I believe in the later years (97 as a guess) ithe parking heater was standard. It wasn't standard on the early ones.
It doesn't heat water (for washing etc). Many have a second diesel powered heater up front which heats the engine's coolant in cold weather.
Toilet :loads of threads on here about that. Couldn't hope to summarise here!
They never came with mattress toppers.
Air Con I believe came standard in the later years (or they (the later ones) all seem to have it). Like the parking heater, you can often tell from 'for sales' photos if they are fitted.

Thanks guys, so its worth shopping around for one with the spec I want. One other thing, how does the sink tap work as a shower? I presume its put out the window, but is there a holder for it or is it just handheld? Is the pressure sufficient?

Yep, out the side window (a long hose tucks into the cupboard below the sink). No standard holder but I just use a suction cup stick on thing. Loads on eBay. Plenty of pressure for a quick cold shower! But...do the late models retain this feature?

Thanks guys, so its worth shopping around for one with the spec I want. One other thing, how does the sink tap work as a shower? I presume its put out the window, but is there a holder for it or is it just handheld? Is the pressure sufficient?

Hey @Padraic. It's worth bearing mind that the later models had a different tap to the earlier ones that had the extending hose. That said you can (or could) buy a kit from Brandrup I think that had an extension hose to attach to the tap and suction cup to allow you to do as Dan (@TwentyOneThirtyFive) already suggested. I'm not a big fan of cold showers so have never investigated further.

Hi all, as I’m new to this forum and only starting to look for my first California, I’m putting together a list of the specification and additional options available on the T4 California.

The thinking behind this is to help me understand all the features on the Cali and what to look for when buying.

Some features can only be got as factory options (or at least it better to have a Cali with these options fitted when built new) and some options can be retro fitted.

So I’m hoping to get a T4 Cali Freestyle, so I’ll list out the spec/options and it would be great if people could confirm or comment on the different questions I have.

I know it’s a long list but hopefully over the next few months a complete list can be put together.

Engine & Transmission

Engine. 2.5 TDI 150ps-this is obviously the best option.

Gearbox. 5 Speed Manual.

Syncro. Probably rare, is it worth having it?

Exterior

Fog lights, Essential.

Headlight Washers, Useful but not essential.

Heated windscreen Washers, Useful but not essential.

I’ve seen one Cali with a sunroof in the Poptop, is this a factory option?

I’ve seen a Cali with four pieces of what look like box metal on the roof, one on each corner of the popup roof. What are these for? I’m thinking some sort of roof bar system?

http://www.poptop.nl/aanbod/volkswagen-westfalia-california-t4-freestyle-2/

Bike Rack. Are factory ones desirable or are some aftermarket ones better?

Awning, does the T4 Cali come with any factory awning or way of fitting an awning? Or is the only option to fit a Brandrup rail?

Windows. What is best, double glazing and tinted??

Windows, I’ve seen some vans with a fold out window at the sink/cooker side of the van, is this a factory option and useful.

Is there a sliding window on the sliding side door?

Tow bar?

Interior Driver space

Electric windows, Essential.

Electric Mirrors, Essential.

Cruise Control, essential.

Heated Mirrors, Useful but not essential.

Heated seats, Useful but not essential

Heated back window, essential

Rear window wash/wiper

Radio, after reading the specification, a gamma radio was listed. What is a gamma radio??

I’ve seen some Calis fitted with a satnav, is this worth having or is it kinda obsolete? Can the screen be used for anything else like a reversing camera or TV screen?

What other standard radio is worth having?

CD Changer, again is it worth having?

Following text taken from the www.westfaliat4info.com website, (Navigation System. Cost 2726 Euro:

With colour Multifunction Display (MFD).

Visual route display both using the icons in the display screen in the direct view of the driver (MFA) and also on the map navigation display (swivel) in the middle of the dashboard.

Dynamic route guidance via RDS TMC

Acoustic driving recommendations.

Tuner for TV including videotext, picture only in stationary vehicle, in the middle console, with connection socket for camcorder or games console.

GPS Antenna.

Stereo radio installation (with radio “Gamma” (standard equipment but without cassette deck).

CD-Rom for Germany.)

Aircon, essential.

Factory fitter telephone kit, I’d like this.

I’ve seen some Calis with a tray on the dash that look like it has two cup holders and some small storage pockets. Was this a VW part?

Interior, Living area

I like the look of the freestyle interior.

I’ve seen some Calis with additional storage pockets, they look like the same pattern as the seats. Are these factory options or from Brandrup?

Are all curtains including the one for the windscreen fitted as standard?

Night heater. Is this a good option and does it come with a time option.

On the westfaliat4.info website, Two 11 Watt transistor lights are listed as standard equipment. What are these?

Summary

Please feel free to add and more information.

Thanks in advance for your help, answer and advice.

Regards Padraic.

In short if your looking for a 150 then you'll pretty much get a fully loaded unit.

Don't even think of buying a can without a heater. Timers were avail on later models.

Curtains standard.

11w lights are two fluros in the back. One above cooker, the other above the bed.

Extra pockets are available aftermarket.

Dash trays as above.

Telephone kit? Er..... No.

Nav system. Later models had this option.

CD player. Ancient tech. iPhone/ Bluetooth etc.

I'm bored now.

Hi Sidepod, sorry I know the list is exhaustive! I'm kinda geeky when it come to researching stuff like this.
I like all the equipment to be original as possible.
I understand that a lot of options are now obsolete, like satnav, cd changer, telephone and can be replaced by aftermarket kits, but I'm just interested t learn as much as possible about the T4 Cali.

Any factory fitted Sat Nav was useless after 2 years, so would be a positive handicap now.

Any phone kit fitted won't fit any current phones, unless you still use a 14 year old Nokia (which were great!)

I think you should be looking at condition and originality, rather whether it has the last bit of optional equipment. The late ones have everything you need.

The pockets are made by Brandrup and are super expensive if not fitted and you want them. I think they are handy for smaller items (divide and conquer), but I wouldn't dismiss a van if it didn't have them.

Back