Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

umm... 'roof bungee' what exactly is it and why do i need one?

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I keep seeing references to a roof bungee and think this is a tool to assist with bringing the roof down? can you describe it and how it works please. have picked up that you need to open window before closing the top? ALSO think we may need wheel ramps and or chocks? what is the difference in use of these two items and can should we consider both ? (not going to get them yet mind,) I must join the VIP section and get access to info that is not otherwise available on here.

I keep seeing references to a roof bungee and think this is a tool to assist with bringing the roof down? can you describe it and how it works please. have picked up that you need to open window before closing the top? ALSO think we may need wheel ramps and or chocks? what is the difference in use of these two items and can should we consider both ? (not going to get them yet mind,) I must join the VIP section and get access to info that is not otherwise available on here.

Click on Description.

now that's confusing. we are getting a new ocean so it will have electric roof. i have checked out the shop and put one into basket along with a waterfill hose.

now that's confusing. we are getting a new ocean so it will have electric roof. i have checked out the shop and put one into basket along with a waterfill hose.
Personally I think a Bungy is a good investment. True, you don't need one but to have one is a "catch all". That said it is not a replacement for being alert when you put your pop up roof down but should limit the risk of getting your canvas caught in the scissor mechanism.

As above.

With the electric roof there is possibility that on lowering the bellows could blow out trapping the canvas in the scissor mechanism, which could leave a hole in the fabric and a small bump in the aluminium roof.

This event can be mitigated against by ensuring a window or door is open on the lee side to allow the air being squeezed out as the bellows closes to escape out of the van. The bungee is designed to complement the closure design by pinching the sides in.

I personally, and this is me and not a general rule, advocate a mark one eyeball approach. When the roof is about 3/4 lowered just leap out and look along the length of both sides to ensure no fabric is trapped. It only takes a few seconds.

Last edited:
i have a new california coast with a manual roof and it seem to have a selection on bands (or sort of strips) of hard plastic inside with fold inwards when i bring the roof down and it always pulls the sides in. i find it quick and easy and i don't need to check outside at all and certainly don't need a bungee.

You’ll find that the hose will be useful.

If you are getting a new Ocean with the latest bellows that completely unzip at the front then I think you will find the bungee a proper hindrance.
yes, that's what i have.

The Roof bungee pulls the bellow canvas in so that you don’t trap the canvass in the bellows when closing.

Its not essential but very handy if you need to close the roof without a lookout.

I think all the comments you are getting here are regarding the pre MY2019 roof design. I really cannot see the bungee causing nothing but problems. If you unzipped the front you would have to fight against the bungee tension to do it back up again, plus it'll be a complete eyesore.

i have a new california coast with a manual roof and it seem to have a selection on bands (or sort of strips) of hard plastic inside with fold inwards when i bring the roof down and it always pulls the sides in. i find it quick and easy and i don't need to check outside at all and certainly don't need a bungee.
Try that on a windy day. The plastic won’t save you if you don’t check, and the bungee makes it much simpler, especially if you’re by yourself.

Try that on a windy day. The plastic won’t save you if you don’t check, and the bungee makes it much simpler, especially if you’re by yourself.
Are you talking about the new MY 2019 bellows here? The OP is collecting a new Ocean. The front now has two rigid and quite heavy bars that prevents the front blowing out. It would be useful if replies indicated what MY you have otherwise we are going to confuse the poster.

Are you talking about the new MY 2019 bellows here? The OP is collecting a new Ocean. The front now has two rigid and quite heavy bars that prevents the front blowing out. It would be useful if replies indicated what MY you have otherwise we are going to confuse the poster.
I don’t think anyone here has ever scissored the front...

It has happened where the front is on the outside, there was a post not so long ago. Admittedly there is not scissors at the front but my point being that the new bellows are a much more rigid structure than the old design. Coupled that with the new front that completely unzips and I think you have a bungee product that is no longer suitable in my opinion. Do we have any members that have a Ocean MY 2019 design and continue to use the bungee?

It has happened where the front is on the outside, there was a post not so long ago. Admittedly there is not scissors at the front but my point being that the new bellows are a much more rigid structure than the old design. Coupled that with the new front that completely unzips and I think you have a bungee product that is no longer suitable in my opinion. Do we have any members that have a Ocean MY 2019 design and continue to use the bungee?
I have a MY 19 with the new front and understand what your saying Darryl, The photo of the van with the two young ladies posing would have a bungee cord running horizontally across the middle of them. And zipping up the front would be a tad difficult.
Also as Darryl said the new design has horizontal bars sewn into the canvas and is a superior design. We are on our third Cali and have never used a Bungee and never felt the need for one as Granny Jen said nip out and have a look. I always put the roof away on my own and use the nip out method even a couple of times if needed.
The new MY19 roof is a lot easier but don't get complacent.

Just want to add to the OP if you want one then fit one, belt and braces.