Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uncomfortable top mattress

Gasgas

Gasgas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everybody we were wondering what people think is the most comfortable top mattress ?we have the zone sleep .. It is an improvement over a he standard but not great .The comfort mattress is memory foam and warm/hot which is nor great for us .. Are there any other options ?

Hi everybody we were wondering what people think is the most comfortable top mattress ?we have the zone sleep .. It is an improvement over a he standard but not great .The comfort mattress is memory foam and warm/hot which is nor great for us .. Are there any other options ?
Are you using the zonesleep on top of the standard VW foam (and therefore can't leave it in place when closed), or on top of the Comfortz 1"? (which allows the zonesleep to stay up top when closed).

You are at the 'max' so not sure where you go from here.
I've been trying two zonesleeps directly on the slats, but uncertain if it's a winner comfort wise (although no need to store either of them elsewhere, and one can be brought down if sleeping below decks).

Gasgas- as in the bike?

We bought the Zonesleep and Comfortz 1" after recommendations on the forum but we found it too hard and uncomfortable. We have now bought a thick mattress topper from Dunelm and put that on top which has helped a lot.

Weirdly we get on fine with the factory mattress on its own and nothing else but do we like a very firm mattress I guess.

I never even considered a topper for the top, have a comfortz the lower which is amazing.

Difficult issue as it's so personal. Definitely the best bet is to try the standard mattresses and go from there. Standard top was no good for us. I'm fairly light and bony and my hips hurt. Getting on alright with the Comfort 1" and Zonesleep but about to undertake a long trip so time will tell. Best thing from my point of view is the breathability of the Zonesleep and the comfort 1" instead of the standard is solely so that they can remain in place.

Mike

Ah good choice. I ran a EC250 for a while. Nice bike.

I had both the ec250 and the ec300 over the years both really good ,I resisted the Orange brand for years but now I have had a few its difficult to go back, currently running a 17 plate 500 exc great all round bike not intimidating at all, good for local green lanes, wales and Hare n Hounds/ Enduro's !

Ah I've been stalking a few 5 hunerts, super motor obvs.

I got to the stage with the 250 that after several laps of a Welsh bog I couldn't hang on to its power.!

We have only rented but both times have taken our Thermarest ultralight self-inflating camp rests. We found they add a bit of comfort up top, and you can adjust how hard or soft they are. There is a simple strap kit that attaches the two together as a double. By opening the valve, they deflate to almost nothing and we leave them in the top, with the roof down. As seasoned campers, we also have thicker Thermarests, but have not tried them yet. The ultralights are 1 inch thick when inflated and seem to do the trick.

I bought a Zonesleep and the comfort 1" but returned the comfort 1" due to its quality. I then found a foam converter to give me thinner, replacement foams to fit in the original VW covers. This with the zonesleep is a big improvement on the original VW mattress and a lot cheaper than the comfort 1". The foam converter charged me £30 but there are cheaper internet based companies offering varying foam densities from £10. I'm tempted to buy some varying densities to try and (like our mattress at home) may have one density for me and one for her. It all fits beautifully in the roof space.

Attachments

• IMG_3786.JPG
    IMG_3786.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 110
Coming soon we have a direct replacement for the upstairs mattress which will use Zonesleep technology and still allow the roof to be closed.

We are also looking to create a premium downstairs mattress also that will be a Zonesleep intergrated with a layer of foam that will fold up and sit on the rear parcel shelf.

This is just our prototype image but will give you an idea of the finish.

Attachments

• VW 50mm Mattress.jpg
    VW 50mm Mattress.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator: