Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Under front seat, yellow electrical 'thing' sliced off

Jennie

Jennie

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
I was recharging my leisure battery under the seat and while replacing the battery cover and checking that the seat moved smoothly back and forward and rotated around this 'little yellow fellow' fell out. HELP. What does it provide power to and how can I get it mended without going to VW- I have no electrical or mechanical understanding- BUT I love my Cali!! Thanks

IMG_3954.JPG

That is an airbag system plug...

If you have no errors (airbag warning light) then it must have been left over from a previous repair.

Should be able to see if the wire is connected under the seat plug in.

There is an unfortunate habit in some car sales to remove the bulb from the dash rather than fix a fault, so always worth checking for any error codes.

If you can get hold a carista or OBD dongle you can check if there are any fault codes. If there aren't any then as above its probably just an old one from a repair to the connector.

There were some Model Years that frequently had an AirBag warning light displayed when swivelling the front Passenger seat.
Often this was resolved by extending the wiring loom and in fact I believe VW even had an extension to be spliced in to deal with this problem.

Yes any strain/tension on an airbag wire when moving/swiveling a seat will put the light on. Common problem on Land Rovers.

I have also heard of this happening when the seat base gets old and "larger" drivers bottoms cause the seat base to sag and pull the connectors apart...

And the wiring it was attached to? Still live?

That is an airbag system plug...

If you have no errors (airbag warning light) then it must have been left over from a previous repair.

Yes it's something airbag. I had my seat side one replaced recently and all the connect are yellow. If you need to reset the air warning light, don't waste your money going to VW, buy a cheap vagcom on eBay for a couple of £'s, they do work!

Do Airbag lights not reset themselves when wiring errors fixed? On a Land Rover its the only system that the warning light is "Live" and does not need resettiing if all is well it just goes out.

Back