Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Understanding What I've Got?

P

Pembo

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi folks. I'm a recent Cali convert (ex Bilbos) and have bought a 2015 Beach of My dreams. I know it's spec'd up but I don't know exactly what I've got and/or how to use it!!!!! Finally got that programmable heater but no clue how to manage it in the real world etc. Yes I'm lazy but I'm also 100% keen to use it properly. Any/all help appreciated. Thanks and have a great sunny day.

Is it a 2 or 3 seat beach?

Which heater do you have, factory or after market? You may have two. There should be stickers on the end of the door visible when its open for each heater in place.

Key things to remember (there are a lot of threads on the beach on the forum searching will turn up most topics) are below:

Poptop:
Open windows/doors (I open the sliding door) when putting up or down the roof (prevent air pressure and deforming the roof). Very important when putting it down! When putting down (again with door open) watch carefully to make sure the canvas doesn't get caught in the scissor hinge (bellows bungee is a big help), or bend outwards and get caught in the seal.

Spinning seats
Drivers seat is a bit of a knack, put in gear as you need ot let the handbrake off to spin it. There is a good video on the seat knack here somewhere but I don't now where. If you get it wrong you can scratch your plastic easily.

Table
Advise passengers in the back which is the door release and which is the table The table is easily dented and I had someone release the table into the road when trying to exit. Secure anything in the back area to avoid dents and dings, they are expensive to replace from VW.

Here are the two videos that apply to the Beach

Swivel seats

Putting out the Awning

Simon

Thanks folks so far. V useful. The heater I have is the factory fitted one. Part of the challenge buying used is knowing what you have on their. I suppose I should discuss with a dealer...

Thanks folks so far. V useful. The heater I have is the factory fitted one. Part of the challenge buying used is knowing what you have on their. I suppose I should discuss with a dealer...
Any Dealership should be able to give you a printout of your vehicles factory fitted options based on the vehicle VIN number or Registration. That would be a good starting point.

Start up the heater once a month, even in the summer and give it a run for about half an hour otherwise these things have a habit of not working when you eventually want them two. Regular use is a good thing.

Put the leisure battery on charge once a month for 12 to 24 hours. When you do make sure the circuit breaker is in the on position or you'll be wasting your time. Actually finding the circuit breaker on a Beach is a challenge in itself.

As well as making sure that the roof canvas doesn't get caught in the roof mechanism also beware of catching the roof canvas in the over lock catches when fastening the roof down. Push the canvas behind the catches and make sure you can see both parts of the catch without any canvas being pinched inbetween. Basically read the manual thoroughly and follow the instructions to the letter.

Have fun.

Did it come with a manual?

Start up the heater once a month, even in the summer and give it a run for about half an hour otherwise these things have a habit of not working when you eventually want them two. Regular use is a good thing.

Put the leisure battery on charge once a month for 12 to 24 hours. When you do make sure the circuit breaker is in the on position or you'll be wasting your time. Actually finding the circuit breaker on a Beach is a challenge in itself.

As well as making sure that the roof canvas doesn't get caught in the roof mechanism also beware of catching the roof canvas in the over lock catches when fastening the roof down. Push the canvas behind the catches and make sure you can see both parts of the catch without any canvas being pinched inbetween. Basically read the manual thoroughly and follow the instructions to the letter.

Have fun.
Awesome. Thanks!!!!!

Any Dealership should be able to give you a printout of your vehicles factory fitted options based on the vehicle VIN number or Registration. That would be a good starting point.
Brill. Thanks

Is it a 2 or 3 seat beach?

Which heater do you have, factory or after market? You may have two. There should be stickers on the end of the door visible when its open for each heater in place.

Key things to remember (there are a lot of threads on the beach on the forum searching will turn up most topics) are below:

Poptop:
Open windows/doors (I open the sliding door) when putting up or down the roof (prevent air pressure and deforming the roof). Very important when putting it down! When putting down (again with door open) watch carefully to make sure the canvas doesn't get caught in the scissor hinge (bellows bungee is a big help), or bend outwards and get caught in the seal.

Spinning seats
Drivers seat is a bit of a knack, put in gear as you need ot let the handbrake off to spin it. There is a good video on the seat knack here somewhere but I don't now where. If you get it wrong you can scratch your plastic easily.

Table
Advise passengers in the back which is the door release and which is the table The table is easily dented and I had someone release the table into the road when trying to exit. Secure anything in the back area to avoid dents and dings, they are expensive to replace from VW.
Fantastic. Thanks

Sure did and despite my male persuasion I have read it. Nothing like the experiential view though!

You will also find that the manual is possibly out of date. Our manual described how to reset the tyre pressure warning light and didn't describe my vehicle at all despite it being only a few months old at the time. We had to phone the dealer to eventually resolve the issue and even they had to go and find a mechanic to get the answer.

Back