Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uneven tyre wear.

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
For some reason the right side tyres on my new T6 is worn out significantly more than left side. These are the new tyres that were sold with a vehicle.
Attached are photos of front left and right wheels. The right one is starting to show up significant wear. And I am pretty far north in Norway. I was thinking of possibly get into tyre shop and at least switch them around. I think I've made no more than 30k km on these tyres.
Got around 5k more to get home.

Looks like major misalignment setting. Too much toe in usually only that bad after skidding/hitting a kerb or rock.
Get a four wheel alignment check.

The second picture tyre is scrap as cords are showing and needs replacing immediately or it'll probably blow out.

I don't recal hitting anything. Might be factory misalignment?
Can I expect that alignment made within a warranty?
Can I probably just put a reserve wheel there and drive all the way home with it since it is probably the same tyre as originally 4 fitted ones.
Is it a problem to run with 1 steel wheel and other 3 alloys? Suppose alloys are lighter.

You should have seen that comming if you check on the tyres once a while ....or did this happend during one ride?

Can I probably just put a reserve wheel there and drive all the way home with it since it is probably the same tyre as originally 4 fitted ones.
Is it a problem to run with 1 steel wheel and other 3 alloys? Suppose alloys are lighter.
No problem running spare but it'll get worn the same.
Should be warranty but they will probably say that its due to a pothole etc.
I
f possible I'd get alignment checked asap.

I paid to have mine done in UK. All four checked (front & rear axles) for £50. The rear was 1mm out.

Should have been spotted and checked before tyres ruined.

DO NOT do it - as you can damage the Drive Train.

Judging those photos- both tyres are below the Legal Tread Depth, even in the UK ( which has one of the lowest limits )
If those are Factory supplied standard tyres then you have done very well to get anywhere close to 30,000 Km.
On mine the factory supplied tyres, same make as shown in the photo, didn't make 18,000 miles ( 28,800 Km ) before they had to be replaced.

As has been suggested Misalignment may be a cause and I very much doubt that VW would even consider a Warranty claim after that milage unless you could prove you have never curbed a wheel or hit a pothole.

Also, It is a fact that in the UK, the L hand tyres can wear more than the R because of the road camber. On the Continent the reverse is true R hand wear more than L. The difference is small but in all honesty the L hand tyre is almost bald in that picture so I wouldn't be surprised the R is showing the corded tyre structure.

You have a 4Motion and if that is the case ALL 4 tyres should be replaced or you can damage the Haldex Drive Train if you have more than a few mm difference in wheel diameter due to tyre wear, Front to Rear and Left to Right.

Where do I get a set of new tyres in Norther Norway though ;). Might make it to the North of Finland.
Might be due to Norwegian roads. Driving mostly on small uneven roads last 5k km. Rear is worn more then left one. But not that dramatic as this one.
I have doubts it can influence haldex that bad. Uneven pressure might kill it as well than? Manual only says not to drive long distances with a spare if it is a different type of a tyre. Lets say winter ones.
Just measured 2-3mm on the right side and 4-5 on left one. Legal limit is 1.6 in most Europe

To be honest I am shocked you had not noticed the amount of wear on those tyres.

Just measured 2-3mm on the right side and 4-5 on left one. Legal limit is 1.6 in most Europe

the core is exposed they are not fit or legal to use.

Where do I get a set of new tyres in Norther Norway though ;). Might make it to the North of Finland.
Might be due to Norwegian roads. Driving mostly on small uneven roads last 5k km. Rear is worn more then left one. But not that dramatic as this one.
I have doubts it can influence haldex that bad. Uneven pressure might kill it as well than? Manual only says not to drive long distances with a spare if it is a different type of a tyre. Lets say winter ones.
If you put the unused spare on then you will have a significant tread depth difference on that axle and on that side. Your choice. See here.
http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/8155-differential-tread-depth-across-axles/
Plenty of VW T5's/6's in Northern Norway so should be no problem getting tyres.

Sorry , but why carry a spare if you can not use it ....
A spare should take you to the nearest garage/tyrecenter at all times no mater what .

Sorry , but why carry a spare if you can not use it ....
A spare should take you to the nearest garage/tyrecenter at all times no mater what .
An unused spare would have 8+ mm tread, those photos of the tyres shown are significantly less than that. In fact from those photos I cannot see how/where the tread depths mentioned have been measured. In fact I would have personally replaced them some miles back.
Using the spare is possible, but travelling at low speed only for as short a distance as possible.
When I fitted my 2nd set of All Season tyres I took the best and replaced my spare with it so now I have a reasonable tread difference between the spare and a new or worn tyre so I can travel at normal speeds or distance.

I agree it is not good but , a spare should be there to use in case of emergency.
But the way it seems he is just gonne head on with the damaged tyre so...

Got new michelins. Geometry was ok. Inside side on left one was badly damaged. Hardly visible from outside.
The wear is on both sides and middle in kinda perfect condition. It was suspected load+Norwegian roads+underinflation did that.
So obviously 3.1 is not enough as vw suggests. Running 3.5 now as workshop suggested. So guys keep track of uneven wear even with perfect geometry and recommended pressure.

Got new michelins. Geometry was ok. Inside side on left one was badly damaged. Hardly visible from outside.
The wear is on both sides and middle in kinda perfect condition. It was suspected load+Norwegian roads+underinflation did that.
So obviously 3.1 is not enough as vw suggests. Running 3.5 now as workshop suggested. So guys keep track of uneven wear even with perfect geometry and recommended pressure.
Did you have a load on the rear? Bikes, boot full etc as this will lift the front which could explain the rapid wear.

Lifted front makes both tyre sides wear more? Interesting theory. No bike rack just a rear axle loaded with stuff.

Lifted front makes both tyre sides wear more? Interesting theory. No bike rack just a rear axle loaded with stuff.
Lifting the weight of the front axle will cause the suspension to drop and increase the positive camber angle (the effect can be seen when jacking up the front) this then puts more of the outer part of the tyre under load. Combined with less weight to press the tyre onto the road the wheel now tends to loose grip and spin, even slightly causes wear.

Wherever possible put the heavy items in front of the rear axle during transit. If the rear looks lower than the front it shows incorrect loading. A compromise if rear passengers are carried may take a bit trial and error.

Seat back - load forward or seat forward and load more over the axle, just for the journey over longer distances.

Saves on tyre costs and makes safer handling.
Vans don't have the problem as they have an open load area to play with.

I had same issue with 2 of my tyres on T6 4 motion. Alignment etc spot on. Good garage said underinflation and suggested 10 per cent higher than guide beside driver's door. I'm testing that out for time being so two of us in agreement. Maybe the tyre guide not updated for extra weight ??

Ok 3rd set of tyres, 2 lazer "tracking" called "geometry" here alignments. Same crap.
Tracking was perfect during 2 checks. So my front is eating outside and rear inside.
The only thing that helped a bit was changing the wheels from front to back each 10k or so.
I am looking for more tough tyres now.Any suggestions? Don't care if they are more noisier or increase fuel consumption.
Any suggestions?
P.S. I drive pretty long distances pretty loaded so this might be the cause of faster uneven wear.
80k km in 2 years anyway.

Interesting
I bought my Cali with 4k miles on, now are 8k miles the nearside front is looking worn on the edges.
I have mostly driven twisty scottish roads.

Checked after buying and wear even, ran on factory full load 3.1bar, 235/55/17’s.
Now the tread is 3mm even and on the outer edge Feather is 1.6mm at deepest on nearside and drivers is 3mm to 1.6mm.
Sounds like reading the comments this is normal wear Ir should I increase the tyre pressures ?
Wondering if i will Get another 2k miles out of these as this is disappointing wear.
QUOTE="Sp0_0k, post: 286369, member: 9745"]
Ok 3rd set of tyres, 2 lazer "tracking" called "geometry" here alignments. Same crap.
Tracking was perfect during 2 checks. So my front is eating outside and rear inside.
The only thing that helped a bit was changing the wheels from front to back each 10k or so.
I am looking for more tough tyres now.Any suggestions? Don't care if they are more noisier or increase fuel consumption.
Any suggestions?
P.S. I drive pretty long distances pretty loaded so this might be the cause of faster uneven wear.
80k km in 2 years anyway.
[/QUOTE]

CCE2BB22-E3A7-4768-B965-064979E03247.jpeg

DECDCA4F-C173-431E-8327-F491CBCA6A40.jpeg

Back