Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uninterested Cali Owners

I'm sure for some it's just another vehicle and they maybe don't get or not interested in any scene. I'd typically not approach anyone, my wife on the otherhand will speak to all comers. Once I'm chatting though its difficult to get me stopped !

We went to our local VW meet at a pub back in the summer, we had the newest van there as it was mainly T2s, T4's T5 conversions etc.. They did not want to make any conversion with us at all and it all felt it a bit clicky so we left having not spoke to anyone. We have since found out that Cali owners are frowned upon as they think we have cheated by buying a ready made van which is really sad to hear.

Anyway, Cali meets are a whole new kettle of fish, everyone is so friendly and we have since made several good friends that we keep in touch with off the forum.
Been doing vw shows since 1990, never felt clicky once..mostly people enjoying looking at other vws,drinking plenty playing music having fires chatting and a good crack,are you sure you didn’t just gate crash a club meet????
they can be a bit clicky if you’re not a member of the said club,,even taping off there areas from past experience so nobody can enter ;)

Been doing vw shows since 1990, never felt clicky once..mostly people enjoying looking at other vws,drinking plenty playing music having fires chatting and a good crack,are you sure you didn’t just gate crash a club meet????
they can be a bit clicky if you’re not a member of the said club,,even taping off there areas from past experience so nobody can enter ;)

Ive been going to the shows for years too with split ties, bays, beetle’s. Used to have a brand new 56 plate Cali (with sportline kit and wheels from dealer - loved it) and never had a problem. They don’t have as much character/history as air cooled and that is a big difference in the scene. More and more T4/5/6 are at the shows now so I wouldn’t see this as a major problem.

I find that I gravitate towards people at the shows that have something interesting which I want to find out more about. That could be anything from a barn door splitty to a california with some nice wheels on. Doesn’t really matter.

Just ordered a new one which should be with us in Feb 18 and we should be hitting some shows with our normal group who have everything from split, bay, Eriba puck, T4 even Mercedes sprinter. Doesn’t matter what you’re in!

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I thought it was quite interesting.

I was accused on numerous occasions of being a miserable old git and ignoring people saying hello. Last October I had my hearing tested and it was the worst that the audiologist had ever seen for someone of my age (55). It transpired, as I had been telling the then, and now ex, wife all along, I wasn't being miserable, I simply hadn't heard the person so I carried on doing whatever I was doing.

Must admit I knew I was profoundly deaf for years but it seemed rather convenient when I was married. Only got it sorted after we split up. Hey ho.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I thought it was quite interesting.

I was accused on numerous occasions of being a miserable old git and ignoring people saying hello. Last October I had my hearing tested and it was the worst that the audiologist had ever seen for someone of my age (55). It transpired, as I had been telling the then, and now ex, wife all along, I wasn't being miserable, I simply hadn't heard the person so I carried on doing whatever I was doing.

Must admit I knew I was profoundly deaf for years but it seemed rather convenient when I was married. Only got it sorted after we split up. Hey ho.

What? Whaat...?

Back