Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unusual Fault - flat battery, start/stop for future reference

OConnors

OConnors

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We had a fault with our 205hp 4wd DSG T6. It took the dealer three attempts to fix it and ended up with the service manager driving it around for 2 weeks. It started with a battery that would go flat in 7-8 hours, dead as a dodo. No apparent regular cause, totally random. Fine for 2 weeks then flat, two days later, flat. As we keep them inside a locked alarmed industrial unit sometimes the sliding door was open, sometimes the key in the ignition during the daytime. We went through a process of trying all combinations to see if we could flatten the battery but never could. It was totally random. VW told me if you don't take the key out when stopped the vehicle will not shut down properly and it may flatten the battery. In a camper! really? Am I the first to leave a key in overnight?
One day I it started and I drove it an hour up the road. When I stopped at the lights the Bluemotion shut the van down, Then it would not start, totally flat battery. I suddenly realised the Start/Stop was the problem. The battery went flat if the Bluemotion shut the van off as you parked it. So a new Start/Stop module, which was fried and all is well again,

We had a fault with our 205hp 4wd DSG T6. It took the dealer three attempts to fix it and ended up with the service manager driving it around for 2 weeks. It started with a battery that would go flat in 7-8 hours, dead as a dodo. No apparent regular cause, totally random. Fine for 2 weeks then flat, two days later, flat. As we keep them inside a locked alarmed industrial unit sometimes the sliding door was open, sometimes the key in the ignition during the daytime. We went through a process of trying all combinations to see if we could flatten the battery but never could. It was totally random. VW told me if you don't take the key out when stopped the vehicle will not shut down properly and it may flatten the battery. In a camper! really? Am I the first to leave a key in overnight?
One day I it started and I drove it an hour up the road. When I stopped at the lights the Bluemotion shut the van down, Then it would not start, totally flat battery. I suddenly realised the Start/Stop was the problem. The battery went flat if the Bluemotion shut the van off as you parked it. So a new Start/Stop module, which was fried and all is well again,
When I pull up on my drive after a journey the Start/Stop function quite often kicks in. I have never noticed a flat battery even after a weeks non use. Should I be vigilant just in case of faulty module? Is this what you are saying?

When I pull up on my drive after a journey the Start/Stop function quite often kicks in. I have never noticed a flat battery even after a weeks non use. Should I be vigilant just in case of faulty module? Is this what you are saying?
If your battery suddenly and randomly goes flat this could be the problem, took us ages to sort out! We have 5 Californas and treat them all the same so for VW to tell us it was possibly our fault made it even more frustrating.

If your battery suddenly and randomly goes flat this could be the problem, took us ages to sort out! We have 5 Californas and treat them all the same so for VW to tell us it was possibly our fault made it even more frustrating.
Thanks for tip.

....leaving the key in the contact when parked up ...
Does anybody realy find this a good idea?