Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UPDATE - WE WENT, WE SAW, WE DISMISSED

calibeach76

calibeach76

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Having considered a return to a big White or PVC we have spent the last week looking at pretty much every permeation and we have concluded that whilst a compromise nothing comes close to the Cali! Drove the new Transit based Coachbuilt and leagues away from the VW in quality and drive. Drove a Sevel based Hymer PVC and again just not a pleasant drive and more noticeable having driven 2.5 hours to the dealers in the Cali. Also, daft as it probably sounds, the Cali touches your soul like nothing else. So much so even discussing swapping her gave me pangs of guilt and I found myself looking back at her from the showroom feeling like I was selling one of my family and I genuinely believe my 2 and 4 year Old daughters would never forgive me either! So she is here to stay and we are now planning our 3 week French road trip in April... One of the other vehicles will be sacrificed instead. :thumb:pinkbanana

A very wise choice I think! Hope you continue to enjoy your Beach for a long time to come...

Could I be really nosey and ask what Hymer PVC's you looked at?

We're just about to order a new van and have narrowed it down to either a 6.1 Cali Ocean or a Hymer Grand Canyon S or Duo Car S.

We love the Cali, but would like a bit more room and the option to use it for the odd commute. We wonderef if a 6m Sprinter might be the happy medium.
hi

we looked at the hymer free 540 and the hymer van 600s and grand canyon. tbh great vans but nowhere near as flexible certainly as a daily driver as a cali. also despite having more room it still felt small but I guess there's a lot squeezed in. it is horses for courses but overall on a 365 day basis the cali takes some beating plus being a tight a**e I like the residuals of a cali if I want or need to make a change. happy hunting and welcome. Jon

We did similar last year.
Specifically looking at a bigger unit.
It became apparent they didn’t really offer any more space.
Showers, toilets, bigger beds and a garage just means you lug around unnecessary kit.

Didn’t come across a single van, that actually felt spacious....???

Came to the conclusion, the California is the all round happy medium.
Less is more ;)

We have had our Cali from Sep 19, used it 3 times on sites. Really love the idea of it but it is a compromise on space. We have 2 awnings a Vango Siesta and a Gally Compact, short stay and longer stay. This helps us cope with the lack of space. Our main reason for not getting a larger van was it would have to be stored as our driveway is too short to take a 6 metre van. We always get lots of attention when we park up for days out by couples saying we have always wanted one of these. And of course it's a VW

We did similar last year.
Specifically looking at a bigger unit.
It became apparent they didn’t really offer any more space.
Showers, toilets, bigger beds and a garage just means you lug around unnecessary kit.

Didn’t come across a single van, that actually felt spacious....???

Came to the conclusion, the California is the all round happy medium.
Less is more ;)
Pretty much our conclusions in a nut shell

This is the only one I've found that offers a lot "livable" space inside.
https://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/motorhomes/stock-item/mobilvetta-tekno-line-k-yacht-80
Otherwise you feel cramped inside on the big whites too. On my Cali I removed the parcel shelf, moved the rear bench all the way to the rear enough to access even the cup holder next to the sliding door. It feels a lot more spacious this way than any average big white.

https://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/motorhomes/stock-item/mobilvetta-tekno-line-k-yacht-80
Otherwise you feel cramped inside on the big whites too. On my Cali I removed the parcel shelf, moved the rear bench all the way to the rear enough to access even the cup holder next to the sliding door. It feels a lot more spacious this way than any average big white.

I take back what I said on another post about the new T6.1 being ugly...
Calimili that thing is hideous, you can’t be serious...?
:Iamsorry

hi yes I see what you mean, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I will go with soulstyledevon on this one... it is pig ugly. a bit like some of the older eura Mobil a classes from 10 years back...

I take back what I said on another post about the new T6.1 being ugly...
Calimili that thing is hideous, you can’t be serious...?
:Iamsorry
Haha.. I didn't say it looks nice, I was referring to the inside floor layout and space. There is no motorhome better looking than a Cali T6 ;)

It’s because all the new vans seem have that horrible dinette layout.
The layout in the Murvi morello/ piccolo feels very spacious for a small van.
1582358813432.jpeg
I went inside an old VW LT25 recently and that felt really spacious and homely too.

When we were looking last year, I had secretly been to VW to look at the Ocean then spent a weekend or 2 showing my wife great whites and other conversions. I then took her to VW and said nothing. She looked she pressed and prodded she asked staff questions and to show her how everything operated and came to her own conclusion that the finish quality and usability of the Cali far out weighed anything else we saw. She now thinks the Cali was her idea but it works well for us in its standard format with the role out awning. we have not bought any extra awnings or storage but just travel light which is so uplifting.

When we were looking last year, I had secretly been to VW to look at the Ocean then spent a weekend or 2 showing my wife great whites and other conversions. I then took her to VW and said nothing. She looked she pressed and prodded she asked staff questions and to show her how everything operated and came to her own conclusion that the finish quality and usability of the Cali far out weighed anything else we saw. She now thinks the Cali was her idea but it works well for us in its standard format with the role out awning. we have not bought any extra awnings or storage but just travel light which is so uplifting.
There is a great lesson on marriage : anything, she has to think it's her idea. Than you can live happily together!
Well played Karlos, may I have had your wisdom!

It also depends what you are using and carrying. After having my bikes removed from the back of the van my requirement was that i could get 3 bikes inside plus sleep 3 people. Being able to be entirely off grid was useful as well especially in Scottish weather. It also had to be driveable and not too long, max 7m. In terms of sheer usability the Cali in all guises is a fantastic vehicle and drives well, for a van, but will always be a compromise.

Having considered a return to a big White or PVC we have spent the last week looking at pretty much every permeation and we have concluded that whilst a compromise nothing comes close to the Cali! Drove the new Transit based Coachbuilt and leagues away from the VW in quality and drive. Drove a Sevel based Hymer PVC and again just not a pleasant drive and more noticeable having driven 2.5 hours to the dealers in the Cali. Also, daft as it probably sounds, the Cali touches your soul like nothing else. So much so even discussing swapping her gave me pangs of guilt and I found myself looking back at her from the showroom feeling like I was selling one of my family and I genuinely believe my 2 and 4 year Old daughters would never forgive me either! So she is here to stay and we are now planning our 3 week French road trip in April... One of the other vehicles will be sacrificed instead. :thumb:pinkbanana
Good luck 4 people in Cali for 3 weeks you will loose at least 2 stone in weight with all the Packing and un packing owned a cali for 6 years all the roof issues and then the 180 bhp scare glad to see the back ok for night away it’s awesome loving the motorhome now

Good luck 4 people in Cali for 3 weeks you will loose at least 2 stone in weight with all the Packing and un packing owned a cali for 6 years all the roof issues and then the 180 bhp scare glad to see the back ok for night away it’s awesome loving the motorhome now
I know what you mean but we travel light are happy to travel around then spend a few nights site based so the girls can enjoy pool and for me to not have to drive for a few days. Basing ourselves close to villages etc and having bikes with a kids trailer gives us versatility to get around without moving the van too. When we do have to move we can cover much more ground, more quickly, more cheaply and in a better driving machine than any motor home and we've had a few. Yes the Cali is a compromise but it's a compromise we feel blessed to be able to make. Ultimately most elements of life are all about compromise to one degree but it's about minimising the compromises and maximising the benefits. For us and many others the Cali is unbeatable in that respect. ;)

I don't see a Cali as a compromise. we did just over 3 weeks in Europe 3 years ago with 4 adults, had a fantastic time, packed sensibly and lived outdoors as much as we could but still fine with 4 sat inside now and again. unfortunately put a bit of weight on probably the sign of a good holiday. never had any issues fitting onto pitches, travelled fast when we wanted on any road we chose with no issues due to width height or length in a vehicle with great residuals that doesn't look out of place in any setting oh and it has a 5 year guarantee from the company that built the whole thing in their very own factory. Oset I truly hope you enjoy your motorhome.

A California is as much as a compromise as a big white.
If you have a big white you won't be able to park in town on regular car spots because it is too big. Today I've found a nice parking lot next to the river but it had a bar at 2.1m high.
So with the big white you may have a bed always ready and ample storage underneath but you have the compromise of not being able to park easily. If you want 4x4 and stay under 3.5t then you have to compromise as the choice is reduced drastically as the weight increases.
To me not having a bed always ready but at the touch of a button while the pop top raises is a huge advantage to having a 3m tall big white with which i would have to accept the compromise of a horrible wind resistance, horrible handling , higher fuel consumption slower speed, slower acceleration, faster depreciation. Huge compromises in my opinion for the sake of having a shower that if I'm on a site for more than 2-3 days I'm forced to pack and move the paraphernalia as i need to bring the beast to empty the 100litres grey tank and refill the 10litres clean water.
To each their own of course, but a big white it is also a BIG compromise, as it cannot be used as a second car, and cannot be washed in a regular petrol station.

The layout in the Murvi morello/ piccolo feels very spacious for a small van.
View attachment 55596

Yes, a (former Murvi-owning) friend and I went to the NEC the other day to look at other van layouts; I'm thinking of getting something just a bit bigger than a VW. My current Bilbo's is a LWB and a wonderful machine, but I am rather tempted by the Murvi Pimento, at 5.5m. The Murvi design has lasted for many decades and for good reason. (And they're awfully nice people too.)

The other similar layout that impressed us was the AutoSleeper Symbol Plus, though that does take you up to 6m. Here's the little video I made to show my wife in case anyone's interested :)

Yes, a (former Murvi-owning) friend and I went to the NEC the other day to look at other van layouts; I'm thinking of getting something just a bit bigger than a VW. My current Bilbo's is a LWB and a wonderful machine, but I am rather tempted by the Murvi Pimento, at 5.5m. The Murvi design has lasted for many decades and for good reason. (And they're awfully nice people too.)

The other similar layout that impressed us was the AutoSleeper Symbol Plus, though that does take you up to 6m. Here's the little video I made to show my wife in case anyone's interested :)

I really like the Ford based Murvi pimento. The garage it has at the back is brilliant. The auto sleeper layout is good. I think this layout is much better if there are not more than two of you sleeping in it.

I really like the Ford based Murvi pimento. The garage it has at the back is brilliant. The auto sleeper layout is good. I think this layout is much better if there are not more than two of you sleeping in it.
Downside is the Ford base. Lots and lots of issues with them at very low mileages.

Downside is the Ford base. Lots and lots of issues with them at very low mileages.

You can get it based on a Ducato, too. In fact, you can get a huge range of variations on the basic theme of the Murvi lounge. I've borrowed (and really liked) my friend's ancient Murvi Morello before I ever had a van of my own.

What I haven't ever tried is driving an up-to-date larger van base, like the Ford or the Fiat, so I don't have a feeling for how that would compare to my LWB T5.

You can get it based on a Ducato, too. In fact, you can get a huge range of variations on the basic theme of the Murvi lounge. I've borrowed (and really liked) my friend's ancient Murvi Morello before I ever had a van of my own.

What I haven't ever tried is driving an up-to-date larger van base, like the Ford or the Fiat, so I don't have a feeling for how that would compare to my LWB T5.
I agree 're the Murvi.

You'll notice a big difference the fiat is my vehicle of choice for a larger van but still a v different experience to the VW. VW Crafter/ MAN permutation Takes some beating on the larger van front but nobody other than VW seems to use them in the leisure market.

Could I be really nosey and ask what Hymer PVC's you looked at?

We're just about to order a new van and have narrowed it down to either a 6.1 Cali Ocean or a Hymer Grand Canyon S or Duo Car S.

We love the Cali, but would like a bit more room and the option to use it for the odd commute. We wonderef if a 6m Sprinter might be the happy medium.

Back